Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3936941 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Screwed and Mutinous
« Reply #14490 on: June 10, 2013, 12:04:27 am »

((How's that maxim go? "A munitions officer at a dead run outranks anybody?"))
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2009-11-01
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: June 10, 2013, 02:55:08 am »

((Well what would you suggest Miyamoto? I've already toned it down a lot from boil to melt what specifically would you suggest?))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:05 am »

Lukas

"Uhm, guys. I would reconsider any attempt to kill this thing at the moment. It looks perfectly capable of killing all of us at once and it hasn't done that. Let's not give him any reason to do it anyway. Anyway, I'm getting the fuck out of here."

Move away from the walking crystal as fast as possible. Any help is welcome! Preferably move away from anyone that has announced an attack on the crystal as well.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: June 10, 2013, 03:18:57 am »

((Well what would you suggest Miyamoto? I've already toned it down a lot from boil to melt what specifically would you suggest?))

((To quote myself:

((Corsair, 'failure is the only option' is pretty much guaranteed if you go through with this.
If you just want to do something with your amp, maybe try freezing over that hole from where the fluid is pouring, so that it can't keep doing whatever it is doing.))

Lukas

"Uhm, guys. I would reconsider any attempt to kill this thing at the moment. It looks perfectly capable of killing all of us at once and it hasn't done that. Let's not give him any reason to do it anyway. Anyway, I'm getting the fuck out of here."

Move away from the walking crystal as fast as possible. Any help is welcome! Preferably move away from anyone that has announced an attack on the crystal as well.

((Aaand there goes our biggest asset in case mr. Crystal tries anything. Darn.

Going from the fact that it could specifically target Flint with his laserlimb, I think it's safe to assume it is, indeed, pretty aware of what happens around it. But if Prosperus doesn't feel like trying it, I won't bother with a half-assed attempt, since Simus' grenades is the only other thing that might work it seems.

In any case, for beter or worse, we'll probably see the end of this weird situation pretty soon, which is positive at least.

By the way, in case he does decide to give it a go, the plan would be to have Lukas shoot a hole in it with his particle cannon, then have Simus use a grenade in whatever weak point he created. The others would fire on any laserlimbs that it creates, so as to provide cover for them. Any feedback on this?

@paris: your rockets didn't get damaged, did they? So why not just fly away on your own accord? You got your sample, no reason to hang around huh?))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 03:31:31 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: June 10, 2013, 03:28:42 am »

((Oh well... derp))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: June 10, 2013, 04:20:35 am »

((
Quote from: Gen. Herbert Plumer
Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography.

If Lukas and my grenade(s) don't work, my kilogram used as a satchel charge might.

Just to clarify, if Lukas is out, I'm out as well. I don't think I can take the thing entirely on my own, and he does have a point, although leaving the thing alone is also fairly dangerous: even if it wasn't aimed at us, that initial laser came very, very close to permakilling most of us.))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:41:35 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: June 10, 2013, 04:28:14 am »

Going from the fact that it could specifically target Flint with his laserlimb, I think it's safe to assume it is, indeed, pretty aware of what happens around it. But if Prosperus doesn't feel like trying it, I won't bother with a half-assed attempt, since Simus' grenades is the only other thing that might work it seems.

((Yes, it appears that it is aware of what goes on around it, but so far it seems to attack us only if it perceives us as a threat. The shot that nearly hit the base didn't seem to be aimed at us, as the crystal is now filling the ravine with his orange goo. That makes me think that it has some other purpose that we don't know about. He tolerated Flint around him until Flint took a sample of the orange goo, which apparently is a 'no no.' I (or rather Lukas) am not too sure about the impact that the particle cannon will have on the crystal and I don't expect great things from any attempt to melt the ground from under its feet. Also, even if we are somehow capable of blowing the crystal into pieces, we don't know whether it will not just pull the same trick on us again by turning into goo and rebuilding itself after that. I think that attacking the crystal will only fulfill a self-fulfilling prophecy that it means us harm.))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: June 10, 2013, 04:52:56 am »

((Place your bets, Super-Accurate Ninja Crystal vs. Mass-Murder Manipulator Madman.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: June 10, 2013, 05:46:36 am »

((I bet 3 morphine rations from my makeshift medikit on the mass-murdering microwave manipulator vaporizing his own eyebrows.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14499 on: June 10, 2013, 07:13:27 am »

((@Radio Controlled: I've got jump rockets. Good for jumping or a burst of speed, bad for sustained flight.

And even though Flint will want to kill the thing for IC reasons, I too think that leaving it alone but watching it closely and being ready to shoot is the best we can do for now.

Only one thing concerns me: That thing's gonna need some oxygen. And unless it can somehow pump it from the gravity seep the two other known sources of oxygen are the base and the black towers.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:00 am »

((We have at least one pathologic Tinker addict and at least one slightly deranged inventor in the group, in addition to the normal techs and engineers. I'm sure if we wanted, we could have a kinetic kill cannon cobbled together from our Gauss Rifles and vehicle parts, poised to fire steel rods through an Extreme Speed anomaly at the giant crystal thing, within a fairly short timeframe. So assuming we survive the following few minutes and the crystal is still there and not overtly hostile, we could probably keep it under reasonably good guard. ^_^))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: June 10, 2013, 07:44:15 am »

((Once leaving the extreme speed, these rods speed will revert to normal, so that's out. But otherwise your point is valid.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14502 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:40 am »

((Not to mention that the rods will probably be torn apart when accelerating. Then again that would work if you want to make some kind of machine gun.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: June 10, 2013, 10:00:16 am »

((If they heated from the acceleration/shredding, it'd make a nice molten flechette cannon.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:51 am »

((Do we actually know that objects exiting Extreme Speed anomalies return to their usual velocity? I haven't had a chance to complete my experiments, but what I did find points at a distinct possibility of that not being the case. An object stuck slightly into the anomaly has the motion of its inserted portion greatly amplified, to the point that the rest of the object is violently pulled in. I would presume that a similar effect would happen on exiting - the exiting rod, even if it slowed down on leaving the anomaly, would be pushed violently by the part of it still being amplified, imparting massive momentum. The rod would likely shatter on crossing the threshold, true, but I'm fairly sure that eight pounds of buckshot travelling at a significant portion of C would do pretty well against a crystalline structure. Maybe even better than a simple kinetic penetrator would.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1256