Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940524 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #14010 on: May 17, 2013, 11:18:24 am »

((I seem to be very proficient at disappearing off the face of the forums lately.))

"Ok, wow. These don't appear to be temporal anomalies, but I seem to be spectacularly losing time here."

Anton, you head to base too and start working on those materials I requested. I asked Green team to do it, but they all seem to ignore my message, so don't be afraid to recruit some of those lazy bums to help you. Oh, and hook up the MPV to your trailer, we'll need it. Once that's done, report back.
"Uh, roger, I guess. Remind me what those materials were? I was kinda struggling with some anomalous attention loss in Sector Two. And I've got the trailer here with me. I'll run another quick test and head back to base."

'Well, after we're done spelunking this cave here, my idea was to find a safe way through the weirdvision area to that metal pole forest filled with those of creatures, and go bug hunting. For that we'll need at least 5 sturdy cages, a strong net, and maybe some sort of harpoon gun that uses compressed gas, seeing how we probably won't be able to shoot there. If you can think of anything else we might need, feel free to try and build it.'

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14011 on: May 17, 2013, 11:50:27 am »

For that we'll need at least 5 sturdy cages, a strong net, and maybe some sort of harpoon gun that uses compressed gas, seeing how we probably won't be able to shoot there.
((Didn't somebody explain that there is no actual danger to shooting in there, since there's not enough... oxygen?... for methane to inflame?Also, shooting a weapon is not the same as starting a fire.

To below: Fair enough.))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:08:47 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14012 on: May 17, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »

For that we'll need at least 5 sturdy cages, a strong net, and maybe some sort of harpoon gun that uses compressed gas, seeing how we probably won't be able to shoot there.
((Didn't somebody explain that there is no actual danger to shooting in there, since there's not enough... oxygen?... for methane to inflame?Also, shooting a weapon is not the same as starting a fire.))

((Miyamoto doesn't know that, they only reported that the air was high in methane, if I recal well. Besides, the system could still be used to launch nets.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14013 on: May 17, 2013, 12:19:04 pm »

((Didn't somebody explain that there is no actual danger to shooting in there, since there's not enough... oxygen?... for methane to inflame?Also, shooting a weapon is not the same as starting a fire.))
((Well, methane is a heavier gas then oxygen, so higher up there might be an explosive mix. And shooting lasers does create heat.))

@Miyamoto: "Planning an expedition to the black towers, eh? May I ask how are you going to climb up there? Or are you going to have the Doc drop you off at the top of a tower with the shuttle and then rappel down?"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14014 on: May 17, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »

Interesting.  This one requires further study, Lars thought.

Study this info deeply- is there any more that could be delved from its words and images?

Hard to say. It depends on if you want to take it's existence at face value or if you want to question it. And if you question it, how far your knowledge extends.

Every word is truth, of course!
Welp, then there's not a whole lot more for you to learn here.

"IT SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE HIT A SNAG. PERHAPS YOU SHOULD DISSECT IT HERE."

Crawl to barracks, and find my goggles. Weirdvision them quickly.
The goggles look the same as before; standard electronics for the most part, but some parts don't make sense. And then theirs that tendril stretching off into infinite space. Thats a thing.

((I wouldn't call it busted because READ MY SIG  :o :o But yeah, annoying.))

"Okay, so the crystal field was almost certainly caused by the fallout from the shuttle crash. And we're standing on a pond, or even a river of this. Add to this that a cave was discovered recently, and this might be the answer as to how this planetoid is powered. Or maybe not.

We should look into any scanners that will allow us to sense this liquid below ground, so we could follow it's flow. Who knows what we might discover. I love when destroying expensive equipment reveals mysteries."

Regarding the question of how this shuttle could have been hit by the domes, that is exactly why I want a simulation of it's flight.
With it, we could calculate it's exact position when it was hit, which would let us know just how powerful these things are.

Also, if we actually move this turn, I go along.

A simulation would require knowledge you don't have though. Such as knowledge of the properties of the domes and of the path of the shuttle.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad

"How can it understand it is exposed? Is there an atmosphere here? Or does lack of pressure causes it to crystallize? Or some kind of chemical property? Maybe molecules that have no neighbor trigger the crystallization... Is it alive? So strange..." said Flint as he hit his rod on the ground, trying to clear it of salt and simultaneously test the hardness of newly formed salt.

"And those sacks... The sea seemed to have very high surface tension and non-Newtonian fluid properties, but that film seems to cling to anything other then rock..."

"But the strangest of them all is this shuttle... How did it get here? Why did it get here? Did those black things do it?"

Check for atmosphere, or anything obvious that could be causing the crystals to form when exposed.

Hit his rod on the ground, trying to clear it of salt and simultaneously test the hardness of newly formed salt.

If possible to go back to the domes, push a drone in one of the domes with the pole. Remember to activate its tracking beacon first, and have it record medium quality footage.
The suit detects very thin atmosphere of gaseous cadmium and temperature of around 80 C. Not exactly the nicest place. Other then that though there's nothing. Maybe the fluid just reacts when it's in contact with things other then itself and the crystals?

You clear the crystals rather easily; The crystals themselves are pretty hard, but they're not anchored to the pole very well so they just crumble off when you scrape it against the stone.

You head back to the nearest black dome and, after activating the tracking beacon, push one of the drones through into the Dome. After shoving it in as far as you can, you withdraw the rod and check the footage from the drone. The footage from the drone shows an empty expanse of rock that is pretty much identical to the one that you're standing on right now. You check the tracking beacon. Well...thats different.

Your position on the map is marked with a blue circle. The Drone's tracking beacon is the blue 4 point star.

Watch the cameras.
You watch the base's cameras as well as the cameras of everyone out on patrol.

"Geez, red team sure does stand around a lot."

Oooh i can be useful.
crawl to the barracks and grab my pda then find mesk, use my bathelmet to perform an ultrasound on his "patient." Record the results to my pda or suit memory and transmit them to mesk in real time.

The ultrasound doesn't go so good. The beetle's gooey bits are buried under a good foot or more of shell with a density near that of tungsten. Gamma rays would have a hard time finding their way through it, let alone sound.

Blue Team

"It probably just creates a film when it's not surrounded by itself. I seriously doubt that it's alive and thinking, if that's what you're getting at. But I am confused as to the shuttle being here, in this condition too, so I'll give you that one. Now let's get the hell out of here."

Get the team together, send our map data back to base, and then proceed East to the next zone, testing the ground all the way.
Do you mean east or south east? Since the zone to the east of you is already somewhat mapped. And highly radioactive.

Yeah, first part of dissecting this thing is getting the shell off, preferably not shattering it completely, and store the chunks in the vault. Feel free to recruit anyone else who'll help with this part.

Begin to slice off chunks of shell that one man could carry away easily (preferring thinner, larger slices to just hunks). If nobody else volunteers, take the chunks to the lab vault myself.
You help mesk shave off parts of the shell, however, something comes up as you reach deeper into the shell then sample section. You abruptly hit what seems to be a new layer of shell. It's not like the rest of the shell. It's extremely porous and fragile, like freeze dryed sponge.

Red team lethargy squad leader.

"Hey Miyamoto, wanna come down to the labs and give me a hand with this dissection?"

'I'll send lukas over, kay? It seems Red team fell into a coma or something, I'll stay here to shake 'em out of it.'

Over radio to all of Red team: 'Ok guys, This is how we'll do it:

Lukas, you head to base and help with the dissection. Report back when they can handle it alone.

Anton, you head to base too and start working on those materials I requested. I asked Green team to do it, but they all seem to ignore my message, so don't be afraid to recruit some of those lazy bums to help you. Oh, and hook up the MPV to your trailer, we'll need it. Once that's done, report back.

Michael, Denzel and myself will start mapping this cave.

Any questions?'

Using my modified for remote control drone, start mapping into the cave.

[aux:4+1]

You pilot the drone in a good few hundred feet. The cavern descends slowly and shallowly for quite a while before coming to a steep drop off, a well like hole that extends straight down for god knows how long.

((I seem to be very proficient at disappearing off the face of the forums lately.))

"Ok, wow. These don't appear to be temporal anomalies, but I seem to be spectacularly losing time here."

"Uh, roger, I guess. Remind me what those materials were? I was kinda struggling with some anomalous attention loss in Sector Two. And I've got the trailer here with me. I'll run another quick test and head back to base."

Do the drone-on-a-stick experiment. There isn't another way to get either a camera or a flashlight on a stick around here, so a drone will have to do. After that, gather what rods and sheets still remain outside of the anomalies, load everything into the trailer and head back to base.
The drone on the stick doesn't...well it doesn't go well. I can't remember which zone you were trying to penetrate, but lets just say that regardless of the zone, the drone would either end up inoperable or in many pieces.

You truck on back to base, silently wondering if you should talk to mesk about these black outs and losses of time.

Lukas, you head to base and help with the dissection. Report back when they can handle it alone.

Lukas

"Sure thing, boss!"

Head back to base and assist Mesk in dissection.

Since Mesk and Simus have gone the "Just cut the thing up" way of doing it I'm not sure if you're needed. If so, consider yourself there. If not, consider yourself with red team. You're officially in quantum space.

MAP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqzazdual91p7rh/overall%20map.png

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14015 on: May 17, 2013, 02:12:43 pm »

You watch the base's cameras as well as the cameras of everyone out on patrol.

"Geez, red team sure does stand around a lot."

((YES I KNOW WE'RE WORKING ON THAT THANK YOU VERY MUCH))

'Hey guys, how about we first go hunting spacecritters, and come back to map this hole later? None of you can fly, so yeah, it might get dangerous to let you descend now. And hunting looks more exciting anyway.

Lukas, you coming too?'

Retrieve drone, then go to the edge of the flat and the weirdvision zone. Start carefully going forward, not stepping on the flat zone, but staying next to it.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:05:56 pm by Radio Controlled »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »

"HRMMM. THIS IS STRANGE."

Rest, and let my ears heal.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: May 17, 2013, 02:25:51 pm »

Hold up Mesk, let me get a good sample intact before we accidentally demolish this bit.

Extract an intact sample for later study, then continue to peel and store, but more carefully. If the material crumbles upon any real contact, then just take some of the resultant dust as a sample and don't bother storing more.

((I was the one that explained that the air there was too rich with fuel to ignite.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: May 17, 2013, 02:29:05 pm »

slice'n'dice'n'slice'n'dice
"hmm-hm-hmm... I don't know what I'm doing... hm-hm-hm-hmm..."
Autopsy with Simus.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: May 17, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »

Hold up Mesk, let me get a good sample intact before we accidentally demolish this bit.

Extract an intact sample for later study, then continue to peel and store, but more carefully. If the material crumbles upon any real contact, then just take some of the resultant dust as a sample and don't bother storing more.

((I was the one that explained that the air there was too rich with fuel to ignite.))

((Are we 100% sure there isn't anything else in there that could act as a sufficient oxidizer though? Oh well, we'll see when we get there.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »

Hmm... Onward, I suppose!

Continue reading at the first unread page!

Before I started skipping around to read that, the last thing Lars read was “Ingram :God of Guns: Ingram the distant blow, Ingram the steel rain.”
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14021 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:49 pm »

((Are we 100% sure there isn't anything else in there that could act as a sufficient oxidizer though? Oh well, we'll see when we get there.))

((I'm not sure how the shuttle propulsion works, but it landed and took off without exploding things.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14022 on: May 17, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »

((I'll reply to the discovery that the recording drone was moved after Flint informs us. Right now, I'm just assuming he's keeping it to himself.))

Let's assume that the domes have no properties and are just slabs of rock. The path of the shuttle is exactly what I'm trying to recreate in this simulation.

Maybe I'm wrong somewhere, but we've got the landing point and the direction the shuttle was going. We know the density of the rock it hit. And Alvin probably knows the weight of a shuttle this size. So we could figure out how fast and at what angle it must have been going to hit the rock that way and dig this trench. What we would receive, is a half of a parabola, along the line of which, the shuttle might have been hit.

I do not see why we wouldn't be able to recreate the relative flight of the shuttle. Then, when we can see how it doesn't add up, we can extrapolate what exactly the domes did. Am I clear enough?

Also, help Flint with his experiments. When we do the evaluation by Steve, are we getting credits by teams or by individuals? Because in situations like these when Flint has a lot of stuff geared up, it would make sense for all of us to participate and get credit.

Oh, and can we get an underground map? In Minecraft Dwarf Fortress
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:04:41 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: May 17, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »

Take out the gauss rifle if I have it and search it over for any special features.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14024 on: May 17, 2013, 05:44:58 pm »

Pilot the drone down the hole to inspect the area, then follow Red Team.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1256