Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Turn 2: Raaaaaaage]  (Read 17312 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Prologue!]
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »

Prologue

Fifrilbus thought carefully. What was she here for? To protect life. If she didn't get this right ... She wasn't sure what would happen, but it would be bad. She couldn't fail, not here. She wasn't sure she would ever be as strong as her large teammates, and will didn't seem to be as useful. Skill it would be. She thought back to the dreams of a ruined forest. She thought of how her friends and family needed her protection. She thought of how she would use speed and skill to stop the evil, and prepared to combine her Power with Skill.

"PROTECT LIFE!"
A flurry of yellow shooting stars spirals out from you in a torrent, encircling everyone in the room in a spinning cocoon of tiny lights. You feel woozy afterwards and stumble to the ground, the lights shifting to continue covering you. After a moment they fade away, but you can feel the lingering presence of Skill somehow.

"Interesting. Congratulations, you have successfully completed your test. You are now a weak, but very much complete, Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier.

Now we must journey outside, into the danger of The Maw. Proper improvement will require genuine conditions- meaning genuine danger. Don't worry too much, it's quite safe as The Maw goes, but it would still behoove you to be cautious.

Of course, first we'll need to wait for your new friends. Is there anything you'd like to ask or do while we wait?"

"How does this all work, anyway? Does it fit with the laws of physics somewhere, or is it just something else?"
"That I can't say; it was devised under different methods of understanding than you are accustomed to. Whether this means different methods of working or simply different expressions of the truth, I cannot say."

Spoiler: Derek (dermonster) (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2012, 11:41:46 pm »

"Heh, has there been any research into these laws of magic then? Say, a magical method like our scientific method?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2012, 11:59:45 pm »

"Heh, has there been any research into these laws of magic then? Say, a magical method like our scientific method?"
"Mmm, not as such, no. I think you'll discover why soon enough, but for now let's just say things are different here."
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2012, 12:07:34 am »

Solidify my...

Hmm.

Well, Lan guessed she was here for the good of her people. To maybe help the world by protecting life. Through combined teamwork. She knew the others were stronger than her and most especially smarter, judging by their looks. Even the young ones were cuter.

Hmm.

Well, the body worked like a team, comprising one individual. And the beams of light she used earlier would surely prove... so...

"FOCUS; ARMISTICE!"

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2012, 12:08:27 am »

Rodrick looked at the dummy and thought. He had man attack calls but none of them seemed worthy. He rembred his days as a neyophyte in the Temple of Cool and lessons that he had been taught there. He rembred his various adventure and what he had learned from them. All of these things had one thing in common, the only outcome for him was death or glory.

...death or glory
death or glory...
...why not both...

He looked at the dmmy, cracked at smile and unleashed the force within him with  yell of DEATh AND GLORY
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2012, 07:13:05 am »

"No, just .. rest."

Take a nap.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2012, 09:04:44 am »

(I'm going to go ahead and officially drop out, since I'm just holding everything up. Retcon me out of existence. :\)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »

Prologue

Solidify my...

Hmm.

Well, Lan guessed she was here for the good of her people. To maybe help the world by protecting life. Through combined teamwork. She knew the others were stronger than her and most especially smarter, judging by their looks. Even the young ones were cuter.

Hmm.

Well, the body worked like a team, comprising one individual. And the beams of light she used earlier would surely prove... so...

"FOCUS; ARMISTICE!"
A torrent of lights, similar to the little creature's attack, flows out from you, whipping past everyone. You get the feeling they're less literally protective and more dissuading- attempting to reach past them to attack would likely end in being pummeled by the rapid beams. The experience is exhausting, but you can feel yourself more attuned to Skill now.

"Good. Your next test will be out in The Maw, but not a dangerous part. You are, however, fully a Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier now, though a bit weak at the moment."

Rodrick looked at the dummy and thought. He had man attack calls but none of them seemed worthy. He rembred his days as a neyophyte in the Temple of Cool and lessons that he had been taught there. He rembred his various adventure and what he had learned from them. All of these things had one thing in common, the only outcome for him was death or glory.

...death or glory
death or glory...
...why not both...

He looked at the dmmy, cracked at smile and unleashed the force within him with  yell of DEATh AND GLORY
The power erupts in all directions, ripping away some of your own lifeforce to magnify the effect. You take out the dummy you were aiming for and most of the ones still resting near the far wall. When it passes, you're exhausted and even a little injured, but you can feel the new Strength inside you.

The blast also hurled Clancey off your shoulder. She waddles back over, obviously ruffled but not visibly injured or angry.

"Well! That was unexpected, but you've got it! Just be careful of attacks like that in the future- wounding yourself isn't something to be taken lightly!

Now, the next step is obviously to go out and use it. In the meantime, congratulations! You're officially a Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier."

"No, just .. rest."

Take a nap.
You curl up and take a nap. Clair curls up and takes a nap on top of you. It's a bit like a sundae of cute.

With everyone accounted for, the four of you gather round, companions generally sitting on top of you.

"Congratulations," the black cat with red bat wings begins, "You have all taken the first step towards becoming true champions. Now we must venture out into The Maw- it will be dangerous, but not by very much. Simply keep alert and do not take unnecessary risks, and everything should be fine."

"More specifically," the yellow and black floating cuttlefish speaks up, "The Maw is a place of constant change. Close to The Sanctum, which is where we are, this change is greatly subdued; witness the corona of rock encircling us. That said, things can be rather abruptly surprising, so remain cautious to avoid encountering complications where you cannot afford them."

With that, you are led back to the room you teleported into. A ramp or ledge of white stone extends from the edge facing the outside. White light begins building up, coalescing around everyone present and moving in waves towards the ramp. It builds up in speed, and soon you feel a similar sensation to that of coming here in the first place.

But not quite.

This time, you remain aware of your surroundings, and specifically of hurtling forward rapidly. The light still surrounds and insulates you, so it's more like riding in a fast vehicle than literally being hurled, but the sensation is nonetheless somewhat strange.

You arrive at your destination only moments later- notably, you don't slow down at all on approach, merely stopping on impact. The light breaks away as you do so, but you don't feel any more jarring a sensation than hopping off a foot-high drop. More like six inches for Fifrilbus.

You're standing on a jagged, barren patch of rock. The terrain is too rough to see terribly far in any given direction, but you can see The Sanctum in the distance. Outside, it looks very heavily gilded, with some red showing through, and appears to be a ring surrounding a very tall tower.

"Listen up!" the honey badger calls out, "We are now officially in enemy territory. There are unpleasant things here that will kill you if you let them. Fortunately, they're weak and mindless, so stopping them shouldn't be hard. That said, stay together and stay alert! This is a training exercise for a reason!

Now, first order of business- transform! I know, you think you're transformed already, but you're not. First, you have to release your power- to deactivate, just calm down and will it away. Once you're untransformed, you can transform again for real this time. Shout out your transformation word, imagine yourself as a soldier, and let the power flow!

Oh, and once you're done with that, tell me- no, tell everyone your names! Not your old names, your new ones, as Valiant Pretty Princess Soldiers!"

Spoiler: Derek (dermonster) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rodrick (mcclay) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lan (Tiruin) (click to show/hide)

(I'm going to go ahead and officially drop out, since I'm just holding everything up. Retcon me out of existence. :\)
Aw, sorry to hear that. :-\

Looks like Asilidae is coming in soon.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2012, 06:35:19 pm »

The kobold closed her eyes and focused on trying to revert to her normal self. She thought briefly on her new name before deciding. She then focused on transforming.

"SAFEGUARD!"

"I am Starlight Protector now. Er, because I want to protect people, and that thing I did was stars. Oh, and I like nighttime. Moonlit walks through the forest are nice."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2012, 07:06:08 pm »

The process of 'depowering' was simple enough, he supposed. Just release the spark. If he had to explain it, he doubted he could do it very well. The faint buzz he felt when he was in contact with it drained away.

He quickly decided he hated not being able to conjure fireballs at a whim. How he would look... the name would definately be magi-sciencey, he decided. Green lab robes (shortened to make room for movement?), the shoulders could have balls of mana floating above them, maybe a hat with the stars flowing across it... hrm...

"Annihilation.", he shouted, and felt a more substantial change come over him. "I shall be Veneficus, master of- what in the hell am I wearing?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2012, 02:33:50 am »

Lan stroked her Wolfen familiar while listening to the rest. The Honey Badger had some way of expressing itself.

She clasped both her hands and held them in front of her face, focusing her mental eye on how she looked as before. Without the extra frills and the ribbon on her right arm.

"Unity!"

"I am Lan-No wait, new name...hmm.. *cough* I am Lumina!" Lan said, hoping her mistake was not that obvious. She could already feel the power ebbing from her body.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2012, 08:47:05 am »

Rodrick cracked his neck and yelled I.WANT.TO.BE.THE.GUY!"
After the transformation he jumped in the air and yelled "I am Ragnarock, Destroyer of Evil!"
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 09:02:06 pm »

Turn 1: Horrors Unleashed

The kobold closed her eyes and focused on trying to revert to her normal self. She thought briefly on her new name before deciding. She then focused on transforming.

"SAFEGUARD!"

"I am Starlight Protector now. Er, because I want to protect people, and that thing I did was stars. Oh, and I like nighttime. Moonlit walks through the forest are nice."
((I totally forgot to ask. Does Fifrilbus wear any clothing normally?))

The change is significantly different this time- there's a flurry of lights and an increased sensation of power, but it's... well, less severe but more different, somehow. Like you've used less effort to move further, you suppose.

Your clothing is now significantly different than it was as well. A big yellow headband with small white frills wraps around your head, trailing a far distance behind you, and a similar band in dark purple goes around your waist. Both seem unusually disposed to trail behind you as though there was a strong breeze. There's also smaller bands, with nothing leading off them, wrapped around your forearms, but these are pink with white frills.

Otherwise, your outfit appears to be a pretty pink dress with a low-cut back and a puffy, not quite thigh-length skirt. Your shoes are also pink, rounded and with a single strap. White socks extend up to your knees.

The process of 'depowering' was simple enough, he supposed. Just release the spark. If he had to explain it, he doubted he could do it very well. The faint buzz he felt when he was in contact with it drained away.

He quickly decided he hated not being able to conjure fireballs at a whim. How he would look... the name would definately be magi-sciencey, he decided. Green lab robes (shortened to make room for movement?), the shoulders could have balls of mana floating above them, maybe a hat with the stars flowing across it... hrm...

"Annihilation.", he shouted, and felt a more substantial change come over him. "I shall be Veneficus, master of- what in the hell am I wearing?"
Your transformation succeeds- you feel more powerful now.

Your outfit is... considerably less comforting. It's a "magician's labcoat" in the same way that a stripper might be wearing a "police uniform." The lower part is undeniably a green skirt, and one that stops around mid-thigh, while the upper part is split between a green oversection that's not even a proper vest (yet still has buttons, despite being too short for the sides to physically reach each other), and a very low-cut black undershirt. The sleeves are a drapey, flowing kind, and a string of pearls is looped around one wrist a few times and a golden necklace with an octagonal emerald in the center now graces your neck. Your shoes are also green and pointy, held on by a black band with a gold buckle around your ankles, but continuing beyond that to split into two pieces, like you're wearing boots that have been split deep down the front and split shallower in back. A bit of bunchy white sock also extends up a short distance.

Also, you're wearing a tiara with a gem set in the center, and you appear to be wearing earrings composed of a circular metal thing holding some sort of round gem.

Lan stroked her Wolfen familiar while listening to the rest. The Honey Badger had some way of expressing itself.

She clasped both her hands and held them in front of her face, focusing her mental eye on how she looked as before. Without the extra frills and the ribbon on her right arm.

"Unity!"

"I am Lan-No wait, new name...hmm.. *cough* I am Lumina!" Lan said, hoping her mistake was not that obvious. She could already feel the power ebbing from her body.[/i
The transformation is successful- you feel your power awakening, more fully and comfortably this time.

It's also altered your clothing significantly- in fact, it seems to have replaced it entirely. You're now clad in a tank top that doesn't extend past your ribs, plus long pants with a straight, mid-thigh length, almost completely side-split skirt wrapped around them. Your shoes are less shoes and more sandals held on with very thin, crisscrossing strings and very thick soles. You're also wearing a headband, there's a string of dull red beads around one wrist, you've got dangly bead earrings and a bead and tooth necklace, and your hair is now a pair of ponytails tied at the end with more large dull red beads.

What's most fascinating about your clothes, though, is the colors. The first color that comes to mind when describing them is "white," but they're very clearly not just white- it's like they've got faint traces of a truly staggering kaleidoscope that just happens to tend towards white when you pull back and look at the whole thing. If they didn't feel like some sort of soft cloth, you'd swear they were metal or something else innately shiny, or perhaps layered with all these rainbow hues.

Rodrick cracked his neck and yelled I.WANT.TO.BE.THE.GUY!"
After the transformation he jumped in the air and yelled "I am Ragnarock, Destroyer of Evil!"
The transformation is a success- you feel the power activate, yours to command.

As a curious but ultimately inconsequential side effect, you are now wearing a very frilly pink dress. The shoulders are big like a ballroom gown, but the skirt is only around knee-length, albeit very frilly and puffy. You're wearing white thigh-high stockings, girly red shoes with straps, and frilly pink gloves that stop at the wrist.

Oh, and you've got earrings, a necklace, and a tiara now.

"Well done!" the cat compliments. "Now to begin."

[5]

The cat hops off the kobold's head, drifting forward before stopping in mid-air, wings flapping slightly.

[1] Her eyes glow red for a moment, and the ground around her loudly cracks open.

"Oh no!"
"Hoo boy."
"Oh dear."
"Caution now. It seems your test will be greater than expected."

The cat quickly vacates the area, and all the companions move to get a safe distance from, well, you all. The ground ruptures completely, and a massive, screeching worm erupts from it. Its front half thunders to the ground, staring at you with shiny dark purple eyes. Its hide is a duller purple and it possesses a trio of mouthpart claws on front. It looks decidedly hostile.

ELSEWHERE...

Quote from: Asilidae
Appear!
Well, here you are. It's dull, rugged, and faintly purplish-grey, which you suppose makes it a good place to show insufferable fools who's boss.

"Gleeeeeeeehhhh," Shimi 'says' mockingly, sticking out its tongue. "Not what you were expecting? Hehehehe. Not what you're still expecting, hehehehe. Hidden secrets in here, better watch yourself~"

Your attention is caught by the insolent goblin and his pet chicken.

Quote from: Gatleos
Appear!
Well, here you are. Not a bad place, actually- bleak, volcanic, looking, rugged. You wonder if there's any dwarven punks burrowed in here that need to be taught a lesson.

"GAAAAK!" Fritz cries out. "We're here! Hostile place, don't let it fool you! Enemies everywhere, no matter how many you kill! No matter how many you scare! Place itself wants you gone or worse, remember that!"

Your attention is caught by the wussy human and her talking hat.

Both familiars notice you glaring at each other.

"Right! Let's get started. You know the drill! Transform and take out your monster or die trying!"

"Plus you'll look bad, gleheheheh!"

With that, both move forward, the diminuative, albino beakdog walking and the wide-brimmed, purple witch hat with a single eye and rather long, thick tongue floating.

Fritz: [6]
Shimi: [5]

The ground cracks and you hear sounds of tension, before a thick, ten-foot tall spiral of rock shoots straight up. Spindly legs then burst from the ground, eyes burst from the pillar, and the thing rises, spinning and wobbling. Claws and maws begin emerging from the body as well, and it screeches in fury before barreling down on the two. The familiars wisely retreat with impressive speed.

"Good luck!"
"You'll nee~d it~"

Veneficus (demonster)
6/6 HP
Str: *

Starlight Protector (Nirur Torir)
6/6 HP
Ski: *

Ragnarock (mcclay)
6/6 HP
Str: *

Lumina (Tiruin)
6/6 HP
Ski: *

I'll bet you thought this was dead. Teehee, nope!

In case it wasn't clear, Asilidae and Gatleos will be using a somewhat sped-up version of choosing their powers, appearance, names, etc.

Also, let it be known that I spent all my creative energies on derm's costume. Plus a fair amount of effort figuring out Fritz's speech colors. Still not entirely sure it's perfect, but my original plan of using white somehow failed utterly to look right.

Finally, let it be known that this is the best possible title that I could use for the first turn of an RTD such as this. I'm just happy it worked on so many levels. :P

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Turn 1: Horrors Unleashed]
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 09:39:15 pm »

((I'm not sure if I want to draw a fanart group shot of this, or want very much not to. Not that it matters either way, as I can't even draw proper plain clothing. Yet. Nonetheless, your outfit descriptions amused me.
My character's normal outfit is similar to that worn by DarkerDark's elves, because DarkerDark's elves are the best elves.))

Gonna get eaten gonna get eaten gonna get eaten gonna get eaten gonna get eaten [....]

Execute prey response: Run away really fast, retracing my steps towards the last known safe area.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:43:33 pm by Nirur Torir »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Turn 1: Horrors Unleashed]
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »

((Wow. Frilly costumes on grown men. Me Gusta.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8