Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62

Author Topic: (Old Post-Apocalypse thread).  (Read 217622 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.10] ☢ Post-Apocalypse ☢ (v.1.65)
« Reply #750 on: August 19, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »

Yeah, I tried this mod but the fps stopped me too. So, remove weather and what else?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 19, 2012, 01:49:22 pm »

I would highly suggest to NOT turn off temperature when you use plasmathrowerwielding bots. you dont want to have superhot plasma stored in your settlement, only to have it burn everything down when you re-enable temperature

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:53 am »

Yeah tried weather and temp off, 2x2.  8/9 fps at embark.  I need another 15 or so before its vaguely playable :(

Is there anything else i can drop?
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 20, 2012, 08:11:23 am »

I'm running 30FPS at a 4x4 embark without disabling anything...on my work compy (2GHz Single Core, 1GB RAM, GeForce 7200)...now...after the first migrant wave or storm it drops to 10...but still 8 at embark with no temperature...you have to be embarking on something with a million wild animals.  Try removing the robots...

actually...by "weather off" do you mean you disabled the world-gen weather?  or deleted the interaction_region.txt  ...because the world-gen stuff has no effect out of world-gen.  The Sandstorms are in interaction_region  (actually...Deon has like 5 copies of the sandstorm all running at once...maybe taking out the duplicates would fix some of the chunkiness)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:20:18 am by JediaKyrol »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #754 on: August 20, 2012, 10:01:09 am »

I'll test. (downloads and installs 1.65, enables show-fps, sets fps cap at 900, rolls a few-years 65x65 world, Play Now as gear)
Default 4x4 size embark, I get 400 fps.
2x2, I get 650-820 fps.
3x3, I get 750 fps, with wood and food stockpile hauling.
6x6, I get 310-340 fps.
Dudes, there is something seriously wrong with your configurations. Or I got super lucky worldgen-wise. (In that case, enjoy this high-speed world:)

Here is the savefile of the world in its 6x6 embark beginning. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/DF%20Apoc%20fps%20text%20world%206x6embark%20-%20region1.zip

(I have a 3-core AMD Athlon II X3, 3.1GHz(More GHz than same price four-core), windows performance index says cpu 6,8  ram 7,2  aero 6,7, gaming 3d 6,7  primary disk 7,2)
Edit: OldGenesis, 3x2 embark, 70-90fps with 80 dorfs 88 animals.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:36:31 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:32 am »

Yeah, I never have any problems on my home compy...And I thought the slowness complaints were like my work one with 30FPS, 14 during Storms...but 8FPS flat out from the start on a 2x2 with no temp...something is seriously wrong there.

Hah...just loaded your save and got 100FPS...then a storm came and it started dropping...but that is still amazing on this crap-putor...so that is a really lucky gen.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »

I'm running 30FPS at a 4x4 embark without disabling anything...on my work compy (2GHz Single Core, 1GB RAM, GeForce 7200)...now...after the first migrant wave or storm it drops to 10...but still 8 at embark with no temperature...you have to be embarking on something with a million wild animals.  Try removing the robots...

Its your cores are the difference here.  With a 2GHz single core machine you have 2GHz available to DF.  I have 4x 800MHz, so DF has 800MHz available.  Older machines are better for DF, not the other way round as with the rest of the industry.

Also i was turning off weather in d_init, i'll go snooping about for those custom sandstorms but i doubt it'll suddenly make this playable, its just too slow on a multicore.

EDIT:  However Tomi is getting high speeds on a trip-core...hmm, i'll try the file posted to see whether its hardware or something specific with the world i rolled before

EDIT 2: Seems you got a lucky worldgen fluke tbh Tomi.  96 at embark on the 6x6, dropping to 65 with a sandstorm underway.  I woulda said my last world was freakishly slow rather than yours fast, but i rolled 2x small regions that embarked at 8 or 9.  Maybe i'll upload one and we can test this in the other direction.

In the interests of me trying this mod out properly, can you upload one of those fast 2x2 or 3x3 for me please?  hmm i can just re-embark...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:59:15 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 20, 2012, 11:55:57 pm »

Its your cores are the difference here.  With a 2GHz single core machine you have 2GHz available to DF.  I have 4x 800MHz, so DF has 800MHz available.  Older machines are better for DF, not the other way round as with the rest of the industry.

GHz/MHz =/= speed

New machines are more efficient in calculating and can process information faster and better than older architect processors. Even if their raw speed in GHz/MHz is lower (usually isn't on most new machines)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 21, 2012, 12:01:16 am »

Yeah im aware of this.  But the sheer size variation does play a part here with all of DF's heaviest processes being single-threaded.  Your GPU takes relatively little load too.  Speaking from personal experience my monolithic cored machines are in every way better for DF lategame, some multi-cored machines just have really small individual cores and DF does not handle the others like most newer games.  This is why a multicore architecture with a 'total' speed of say 2GHz is far faster than a single 2GHz core....unless its DF.

Edit: Tomi's world slowed down eventually too :S  I abandoned the 6x6 and took a 3x3, good fps at embark.  Didnt slow noticably once i got stockpiles and basic industries up and a lot of hauling.  Slowed a lot at the first storm to about 32 but livable.  Didnt recover much when storm left, slowed again to 18 at second storm, didnt recover after, slowed to 8/9 third storm.  Bah.
Generated some small worlds myself without the storms, all embarked at 8/9.  I dunno, every other version of DF I've tried has run ok, I just cant get this one to stay alive.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:16:04 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 21, 2012, 09:42:22 am »

But that shows the duststorms are a big negative hitter...each time a storm passes by, it adds syndromes to every single creature it passes over...and that has to stack up against you after a while.  Try deleting them...or changing the frequency from weekly to yearly.  Pathing has always been a lag inducer, but with proper application of travel zones and burrows you can prevent them from trying to calculate 400,000 ways to move an item in a bin to a workshop.
Toady really will need to prioritize multi-threading eventually...probably soon with all of the new features he's adding. Also if people can use high-end GPU's for simulating protein folding, it should really help pathing and weather simulation.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 23, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »

A simple suggestion:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 24, 2012, 08:36:44 am »

Deon doesn't like hurting cats...so no cats.

We got skags though!  they can be cuddly...if you ignore the acid spit and the fact that it is ripping your leg off.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 14, 2012, 09:25:39 am »

Looks like once Toady gets the new DF out, we can move Super Mutants to Goblin-style sites without them starving to death.  I've been trying to soften up Robots a bit...remove a lot of their redundant actions that cause lag for some people, and fix the plasma wildfire issue. (Oh!  And I have to add in a Death-trap to celebrate Borderlands 2 coming out Monday!)  After a bit of playing around though...it seems that the storms are the big lag-monsters for everyone with the slow compy's...so cutting them down to just one per environment type should help a bit.

Once I get all that tweaked, I'll send it to Deon and see what he thinks.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:32 am »

I think it's great that you want to help me. I am a bit busy with Genesis4 now, so your help is always welcome :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:44 pm »

Yeah, knew you had your hands full...Genesis has always been a monster...a freakin' awesome monster...but still...so much stuff!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62