Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62

Author Topic: (Old Post-Apocalypse thread).  (Read 217576 times)

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.10] ☢ Post-Apocalypse ☢ (v.1.65)
« Reply #675 on: June 05, 2012, 10:48:32 am »

wich pets did u bring to hunt vermin?, my iguanas are totally unable to catch vermins and the eyebot just do what he wants to do.

that's because of a glitch in the vermin raws...Deon put in a line "   [NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT]" into every creature...I am not sure if it is the [NOBONES] or if the game is glitching out because all vermin already have [NOMEAT] as well as a declared    "[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES][REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER][REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]" which is effectively [NOSKIN]

removing the line with [NOBONES] allows vermin to be killed again.

oh...and Giant Iguanas can't hunt at all...because they are fat and lazy (and don't have any verminhunter tags...but that was on purpose)

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 07, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

Will we be getting the NCR eventually?
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 07, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »

any chances of getting the borderland class as outsider adventurers?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 08, 2012, 09:48:35 am »

NCR is  just a wastelander civ...nothing dramatically different from say them, the Wasteland Rangers, the townies from RAGE, and the settlers from Borderlands (Except Scooter...that guy...has problems)

Same with BoS, Enclave, and Crimson Lance...when you boil it down...they are all high-tech, xenophobic groups with strict military dogmas.

sure there's slight differences between each group...but that's like asking why we don't have Vault 13-ers and Vault 101-ers when we already have a general "Vault Citizen" group.

@Rumrusher adding borderlands abilities to a few special outsider castes...might be awesome...I'll see if there's a way to mimic their stuff and make a "Vault Hunter" non-civ race

Ok, we got:
     Berserk - doable
     Stealth - nightkin and nightstalkers already have...so totally doable
     Summon Companion Animal - Bloodwing/Turret/D374-TP...basically same thing...one is mobile melee,one is immobile ranged, last unknown yet...not sure if can do...might be able to get it to work as "Tame Creature" instead...
    Phaselock - slow enemies, lower defense...probably doable
    Phaseblast - self-targeted explosion that caster is immune to...probably doable with a poison cloud attack with a syndrome resistance on the caster...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:11:19 am by JediaKyrol »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 08, 2012, 11:19:31 am »

Thanks for the tip Jedia Kyrol, I will fix vermin with a patch.
I haven't played a lot of Borderlands and barely remember it, what exactly do you mean by "borderland class"? A creature with special abilities from Borderlands?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »

I figured what Rumrusher wanted was a Adventurer-Mode-Only set of castes that match the Borderlands 1/2 Classes: Scout, Assassin, Soldier, Berserker, Siren, and Mechromancer.  with special interactions that act like the originals special attacks.
Some of them could probably be bashed together relatively quickly...they are just standard humans with one or two specials.  I'm not too sure about the Companion Creature abilities or Siren specials.

My favorite thing from Borderlands is already in...Skags...cute little dog-lizard-monster-puppies!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:24:56 pm by JediaKyrol »

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #681 on: June 09, 2012, 11:41:16 am »

The problem with adventure mode cannot be solved easily, because most of stuff is hardcoded there. So until we can have different site types and preset allegiances and such, it's going to be fortress mode heavy mod :).

No problem. But I'm already playing a fortress in the vanilla DF, and I don't want to quit anytime soon. Still, I'd love to give this mod a try. So, is anyone playing it in adventure mode? Is there anything I particularly need to know?

Not that I won't die quickly anyway, of course. But I'd like to be able to die intelligently.  :D

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 09, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »

Great to see this back, and running. Quite alot of improvement, and a lot of fun, keep it up Deon :)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 09, 2012, 06:01:01 pm »

I figured what Rumrusher wanted was a Adventurer-Mode-Only set of castes that match the Borderlands 1/2 Classes: Scout, Assassin, Soldier, Berserker, Siren, and Mechromancer.  with special interactions that act like the originals special attacks.
Some of them could probably be bashed together relatively quickly...they are just standard humans with one or two specials.  I'm not too sure about the Companion Creature abilities or Siren specials.
te
My favorite thing from Borderlands is already in...Skags...cute little dog-lizard-monster-puppies!

I would think those things would be interesting things for creatures in world gen to be blessed with. I mean, a person with the "Skills and abilites of a old-world solder" would be a pretty powerful threat to your average gun-toting aligator-leather clad adventurer.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #684 on: June 11, 2012, 08:44:09 am »

I tried this mod in Adventure Mode yesterday (partly because I'm already playing a fortress in DF vanilla, and partly because Adventure Mode lets me play a Fallout kind of character).

The first world I generated was completely overrun with Supermutants, so I stopped the second world generation at 100 years. Supermutants are still predominant, though (there are only two vault-dweller civilizations on Earth). I know you want to keep them strong, but can you drastically lower their birth rate maybe?

My character started out far from his people. (I want to return there, so I can play as a defender of the vault people.) As it turned out, I started in a Supermutant hamlet. Well, as I say, they're everywhere. But there was immediately a war cry and indications of combat.

I started sneaking and opened the door to the first building. It was full of Supermutants, fighting among themselves. (Actually, a Supermutant swordsman seemed to be fighting the Supermutant civilians in the town.) I have no idea what was going on, but I figured my poor little vault-dweller would get the heck out of town, so that's what I did. I don't think that anyone even saw me.

I headed north, starting the long journey to my people. There were lots of food plants and scrap piles around, but I couldn't figure out how to interact with any of them. I couldn't pick up rocks, either. Apparently, knapper is not a craft skill in this mod, but can't we pick up rocks to throw? Or is there something I'm missing here?  Edit: I don't know what I was doing wrong, but picking up rocks works fine now. My apologies.

I encountered two dust storms, and they were really neat. I had to stop sneaking in order to get out of their way. Note that this worked perfectly - they were hard to avoid, but not overly difficult, as long as I wasn't stopped by combat or bad terrain. (As I say, I did have to stop sneaking, because that made me too slow.)

After awhile, I tried another village. This time, when I opened the first door, cannibals immediately spotted me and started to attack. (I wish I could tell what kind of village it is without opening a door!) However, there was a Supermutant inside, too, and he started attacking the cannibals! I really don't know what that's all about. What's going on with these Supermutants?

At any rate, only a cannibal child got close enough to attack me, and I ruthlessly counterattacked. Then I ran away again.  :)

It's almost night, and I haven't found a place to stay or anyone to join me - any friendlies at all, in fact. I started with a bayonet* (apparently, that's considered a spear?), but I haven't been able to find any rocks to throw. Well, so far I haven't encountered any wildlife, either. I'll continue as long as I can and then maybe surround myself with campfires before sleeping.

The one big problem I'm having is that the game is often just painfully slow. I don't notice that on vanilla DF, but this mod takes a lot of patience. I don't have the FPS counter turned on, but it can take five seconds between steps when I'm walking across open ground (with no other creatures around, that I can see).

Luckily, it's not always that bad. But I'll typically take a few steps fairly quickly, and then have to sit and wait for the next step to resolve itself. I guess I need a more powerful computer to play this. So I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it.

Still, I love the idea behind this mod, and I'm enjoying it so far. Thanks, Deon! I know that your mod is aimed more at Fortress Mode, but I just like the idea of playing a Fallout scenario - a lone vault-dweller exploring the wasteland. It's just a shame that your character doesn't start in his own civilization, so that you can recruit companions right away (but that's a DF limitation, I'm sure).

*PS. I thought it made more sense as a vault-dweller to start with a gun, but there was no "gun skill" option. Now, however, I realize that this was "crossbow skill." I just wasn't thinking, I guess. But a bayonet is fine, too, at least for now. (I just love ranged weapons, in all games, pretty much.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:55:10 pm by WCG »

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #685 on: June 11, 2012, 10:22:01 am »

A couple more (very minor) things:

1) When I unpack the mod package, it's in a folder called "DF Apocalypse Graph." It might be nice if you'd put the version number on that (maybe "DF Apocalypse 165 Graph"), so a new version won't try to copy over an old version. Just a thought.

2) Since bayonets are in the game, can rifles do spear damage in melee? That would be really nice, if so. I'd prefer using a gun (as a Fallout-style vault-dweller), but I'm not sure a gunner - especially a lone gunner - could survive.

Acetana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52:19 am »

Actually, guns seem to use the Bowman skill, since Marksmanship is still used for crossbows.

2) Since bayonets are in the game, can rifles do spear damage in melee? That would be really nice, if so. I'd prefer using a gun (as a Fallout-style vault-dweller), but I'm not sure a gunner - especially a lone gunner - could survive.
I haven't found one in adventure mode yet (Not to mention I find melee combat much more enjoyable than ranged in Adventure mode, so I don't usually make a ranged character), and my gunners in my fortress haven't got close enough to an enemy to test this there yet, but the reaction for making an Assault Rifle is to combine a Rifle and a Bayonet. I would assume this gives them some kind of better melee attack than the standard "bash them with your crossbow", but again, I haven't had the chance to test it.

After playing multiple Wastelander and Vault Dweller adventurers, and dying horribly on all of them (as is normal for adventure mode), I decided to try making a Super Mutant. My first one of those didn't last long either, but the second one (A Swordsman) has been my longest running adventurer in a long time, despite managing to somehow turn the entire super mutant civ against me.

I was wandering around the hamlet I started in (in super mutant territory) checking houses to see if there was anyone I could recruit. I managed to find a Maceman, but he was the only one around. After wandering over to another cluster of houses, I spotted blood on a wall, so I decided to check out what was going on inside. When I opened the door, I saw a wastelander body and a couple of super mutants, all of which prompty started attacking me. I backed out of the house and they followed, so I started fighting back. It was fairly easy, since only one of them seemed to have any combat skills, but immediately after the last one was struck down, my companion (who had been perfectly willing to help me fight until now) suddenly turned on me. Oddly enough, the conversation that popped up (such as when you encounter quest targets/bosses) seemed to be one of the Night Creature ones.

So I killed my ex-companion too, and tried to leave the area, only to be spotted and attacked by more super mutants. By the time i escaped super mutant territory, I had 18 kills, all of them other super mutants, and no injury more severe than a bruise. I'm not sure if the race is the reason, but this character seems extremely adept at chopping off limbs, even of other super mutants.

One odd thing I've noticed, though, was when exploring a dungeon infested with Nightkin. I was constantly getting messages like "You spotted the Nightkin Swordmaster" and "The Nightkin Mace Lord leaps from Ambush" (which scared me the first time, especially once when I got about 10 of these messages at once), despite the fact that I never saw a single master-level enemy (I did see quite a few normal nightkin though). I'm not sure if this is a vanilla DF issue or something in this mod, since I don't play adventure mode often and don't remember encountering anything in vanilla with stealth capability like Nightkin.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:32:22 pm by Acetana »

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #687 on: June 12, 2012, 10:01:59 am »

Actually, guns seem to use the Bowman skill, since Marksmanship is still used for crossbows.

Oh, I was wrong about that, then. Thanks for the correction. But it seemed odd to me that a vault-dweller could only start with Crossbow skill for a ranged attack, unless that covered guns, too - certainly if Deon is going for a Fallout vibe.

And I can always play melee in the vanilla Dwarf Fortress. Guns would be a big draw for me in this mod (especially if they had a bayonet on the end, which would seem obvious for any slow-firing gun).
___

OK, I got myself stuck. Night fell before I could get somewhere safe, so I surrounded my character with campfires. Then I discovered that I couldn't sleep in that location! (Unfortunately, I saved the game AFTER building the campfires, which I'll admit was stupid.)

Is there any way to make time pass quickly without sleeping? I couldn't find any way to put out the campfires, and I couldn't walk over them, even when holding down the Alt key. I pressed the period key for a half-hour or more, trying to make time pass. I even made a macro for it. I don't know how much longer the night had to go - Is there any way to tell time when you can't get into the travel map? - but the game finally locked up on me.

I couldn't face going through all that again, so I created a new world. This time, there's only one vault civilization, but not quite as many Supermutants (still the majority, though). Again, I just let it run for 100 years, since I didn't want the Supermutants to take over everything.

This time, at least, I started in a friendly ghoul hamlet. I even picked up a follower. But I made the mistake of going to a ghoul city, looking for merchants. I thought five seconds per move was bad, but in town, after awhile, I started having to wait 20 to 30 seconds between each key-press!  I don't have that much patience, so I'm afraid that's it for me.

I haven't played the vanilla Adventure Mode recently, so maybe that's become slower, too? [Edit: No, I just played Adventure Mode in DF vanilla with no problem. Even in the middle of a huge town, there was no major slowdown.] Certainly, this town was very big. There were dozens of shops selling the exact same thing - I never did find a shop selling anything other than plants. It would have been fun to explore the whole thing, but I just couldn't, not as slow as it was.

But I don't have a problem playing the vanilla Fortress Mode. My computer isn't new, but it plays most games OK. However, I can't seem to play this mod. It's really a shame, too, because I love the idea behind it. Again, I really want to play as a vault-dweller adventurer in a Fallout world. Maybe I should go back to one of the Fallout games, huh? But a Dwarf Fortress version of that would be GREAT fun!

PS. I do like the crafting options here. I wasn't able to tan vulture skin or make anything from vulture bones, but that might be deliberate. (It's always seemed odd to me that you could make bolts and such from bird bones.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:58:10 pm by WCG »

Sarkovar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 15, 2012, 11:41:33 pm »

I was afraid the lab monkeys would kill my brahmin, until one of the monkeys had his upper spine broken and the brahmin proceeded to knock out ALL of his teeth (into a glorious tooth-splosion) and crush his skull. I guess it's true what they say about messing with the bull.

Edit: I guess the lab monkeys had the last laugh, they infected my militia commander and a couple of farmers who proceeded to turn and bite even more of my citizens. I had to cleanse my Vault :'(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:20:40 am by Sarkovar »
Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 16, 2012, 06:33:20 pm »

Oh hey, sorry for the disappearance, I was busy working on a few tilesets and the other stuff.

Lab monkeys are no threat at all if you treat them in FULL armor. Otherwise... yeah.

WCG, lots of nice observations. I don't think I've added adventure mode crafting of advanced stuff like assault rifles and powerfists, I should check it (it was long time ago). Supermutants doing stuff is the result of their "banditry", it's a VERY weird vanilla behavior and there's not a lot we can do with it (just kill them, or run).
  Adventure mode is predictable is fine only if you start in ghoul/wastelander civilizations. Vaults do not exist (mountain halls do not spawn in this DF version yet) and supermutants are weird.
  The slowdown comes from lots of new stuff which happens in the last versions, so it's predictable. Not something I can do about it :(. Slow towns happen because cities have tons of food, items and other things, and the marketplace, OH GOD THE MARKETPLACE. It all comes from all the animals and things, I should probably try to lower the population of towns a bit. About slow fortress mode - did you try to adjust the game speed with the hotkeys? What's your print mode?
  For crafting, are you sure you had all tools necessary? And yes, you cannot use skin of very small animals or animals with thin skin (like birds) for anything.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62