Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Age of Man  (Read 80640 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Man
« Reply #300 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »

Let's not make any enemies we don't have to, guys. The more people we have the better for everything. Right now we have like, 30 men in the tribe and we're less advanced than even the most conservative and isolated of peoples. We don't need to go having our men murdered before 10 or 20 won't make a dent in our reproductive rate.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2012, 05:15:26 pm »

Replace stones while at same time teaching other villagers axemaking next to fallen trees(one action) and_ bend softer plants to create baskets/countainers of a sort like a bigger waterskin

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 05, 2012, 05:30:56 pm »

Well, the axe works as planned, but some refinement is certainly needed.

If you think about it logically, the worst part is sharpening and tying on all the stone blades. We need a better way to sharpen stone. But how...

No matter. The axe works as planned, if a bit shoddy, and the Atl-atl was a brilliant idea. That should improve our protien intake which'll lead to more discoveries quicker.

Now that we have a way of getting wood reliably, if slowly, we need to think about what else is keeping us from progressing farther. We're farming and so control our own food supply of plants, the water doesn't go anywhere so that's not an issue. Resources are abundant, even if we still rely mostly on random drops, and our hunting boost from the Atl-atl should keep us fed with animals for quite a bit.

That just leaves shelter. We need bigger houses to fit more people so we can have more people. And we don't have enough skin and twigs to build bigger tents. We need to build out of what we have more than enough of: wood, stone, and mostly, mud/clay.

Stone is too difficult to work and wood is still too difficult to obtain. We need to find a way to build permanent shelters out of clay or mud. try shaping some into a block and leaving it in the sun to get the water out.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »

If you think about it logically, the worst part is sharpening and tying on all the stone blades. We need a better way to sharpen stone. But how...

No matter. The axe works as planned, if a bit shoddy, and the Atl-atl was a brilliant idea. That should improve our protien intake which'll lead to more discoveries quicker.

Now that we have a way of getting wood reliably, if slowly, we need to think about what else is keeping us from progressing farther. We're farming and so control our own food supply of plants, the water doesn't go anywhere so that's not an issue. Resources are abundant, even if we still rely mostly on random drops, and our hunting boost from the Atl-atl should keep us fed with animals for quite a bit.

That just leaves shelter. We need bigger houses to fit more people so we can have more people. And we don't have enough skin and twigs to build bigger tents. We need to build out of what we have more than enough of: wood, stone, and mostly, mud/clay.

Stone is too difficult to work and wood is still too difficult to obtain. We need to find a way to build permanent shelters out of clay or mud. try shaping some into a block and leaving it in the sun to get the water out.
+1

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 05, 2012, 07:22:05 pm »

+1
+2

Also keep searching for those damn stones. (aka looking for sharper, better, stronger stones.)
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 05, 2012, 10:50:20 pm »

+3
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2012, 07:34:55 pm »

So we must pull a kobold and find us some shiny?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:19 pm »

So we must pull a kobold and find us some shiny?
Shiny won't help us right now. Especially not the shiny we could work with campfires. Stone will work until we have cities, like it did in history.

Right now we need to not be living in tiny tents.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »

We need to A) Get some huts and then, once A is accomphlished, B) Get some copper. 

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:49 pm »

Why? We only have ~30 people in the tribe, and stone tools work better than coper anyways since they hold an edge longer.

We need two things.

1) Population
2) Refinement

Metalworking is relatively midgame when we're just now trying to figure out "how do i axe?".
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2012, 10:30:46 pm »

Population increases will come by themselves, there realy isn't anything we can do to assist that (except increasing the percentage of children that survive to adult-hood through nutrition, and other such things, which we can increase through higher living standards).

Metal working was invented almost right after agriculture historically, as the knowledge of metallurgy opens up a much wider variety of tools than stone tools do.

We need  agricultural tools to achieve the levels of productivity necessary to maintain and increase our agricultural surplus. Plows (ploughs), hoes, shovels, all simply can't be made out of stone. (possibly bone, with the aid of precise tools to shape them)

By refinement, I assume you mean some sort of class structure were there is a defined warrior class, maybe some sort of priest hood, a ruling class certiantly, a scholarly class, merchent class, and the supporting state bureaucracies?

For all those we need to pull as large a percentage of our population out of farming as possible, and the largest in raw numbers. That all will require advancemnets in agricultural productivity, which we can only achieve through increased tool usage.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2012, 07:20:51 am »

We knapp. Why not grind (rub?)? It is much slower, but you waste less rocks doing so, and, with persistence, can get the sharp edge we want.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:41 pm »

We knapp. Why not grind (rub?)? It is much slower, but you waste less rocks doing so, and, with persistence, can get the sharp edge we want.
I'm thinking chiseling myself.

But mostly I want us to not live in tents. We aren't mongols. We can't run a powerful empire from tents.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »

We should migrate; as far as I understand there's not much wood in the area, and at any rate we should find some major river to found our capital at.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:13 pm »

We're already by a coastline, which is good. We have good fishing here.

Finding a rivermouth of some sort would be good though. Migration is certainly an option.

look into sending a small delegation to search the coastline for running freshwater. Preferably the type that has lots of vegetation growing around it, that means good soil and probably yearly floods.

The more accurate the flooding the better too, but we'll have no way of knowing that. And even if they don't find floodwater a river is still probably better, though our current position is definitely pretty swell.

With our permanent tents here though moving is going to be a hassle if we decide to do it. It's a choice with no clear good answer. We could always wait until we have enough people to form a satillite tribe.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23