Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48272 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:50 pm »

I think infiltration shuts down a funding nation, but needs like 99% in order to have a small chance at success.  I really don't know, but I thought that is what the in-game description said.

Do you know all the technology that is needed for a working mothership?  I think you have to load it with terror units in order for it to work.  If so, I'd strongly suggest floaters as your next research goal because they lead to terror units (I think).

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »

Looking through the TTS forums, I found a few quotes that help a lot:

Each country has a value (called in game 'pressure', althought its hidden for both players). Right now - infiltration increases 'pressure'. Once pressure is high (and only when the mission ends), a country has a chance to sign a pact. Chance is higher if pressure is higher.
In the future - Pressure will also rise slowly from all other missions (terror missions the most) and from aliens having a base in that country, and get lower when xcom wins tactical battles in that country or shots down ufos over the country. But that is not yet implemented, as i wanted to balace out regular score system first, since 'pressure' is in a way related to regular score.

For infiltration you also need to terrorise citizens before. Otherwise infiltration wont give you much even on 100% regions.

In essence, I would have been wasting my time. Glad you brought it up Delta. These quotes are pretty old, so those 'coming soon!' features are likely already in.

I think infiltration shuts down a funding nation, but needs like 99% in order to have a small chance at success.  I really don't know, but I thought that is what the in-game description said.

Do you know all the technology that is needed for a working mothership?  I think you have to load it with terror units in order for it to work.  If so, I'd strongly suggest floaters as your next research goal because they lead to terror units (I think).

You are correct. However, floaters is easy research. Motherships take forever to build. I figure I might as well start construction now(off and on), and get the tech later.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

How do you outrun X-COM's interceptors? Slag and I have been playing for a while and neither of us know how to get away.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 08:14:32 pm »

How do you outrun X-COM's interceptors? Slag and I have been playing for a while and neither of us know how to get away.

Um. In what way? UFOs are faster than interceptors, period. The only way they could intercept you is by a convergent pathway.

The other way you intercept UFOs is when they're landed and launch. That's impossible to escape.

When in combat, there's several 'stance' options. One of them is an arrow pointing away from the ship(bottom one). That is run away. There's a chance per second to run away, I believe.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »

Um. In what way? UFOs are faster than interceptors, period. The only way they could intercept you is by a convergent pathway.

The other way you intercept UFOs is when they're landed and launch. That's impossible to escape.

When in combat, there's several 'stance' options. One of them is an arrow pointing away from the ship(bottom one). That is run away. There's a chance per second to run away, I believe.
I was referring to aerial combat. I suppose I'm just unlucky, I've never gotten away from an interceptor before.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 08:35:11 pm »

Can't you do terror missions with large scouts?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »

Can't you do terror missions with large scouts?

Why yes, yes I can. Medium scouts also work.

However, before March they have no effectiveness. For instance, my opponent and I did a quick test game today. I did about 12 terror missions to N. America, and we waited a month.

American income went UP. I'd imagine the terror missions did nothing.

Even if they do work in some way, we've come to an agreement that I can't do terror/infiltration missions until March, to make it more balanced between the factions(Anyone can agree terror missions heavily favor aliens, especially once you get Snakemen.)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:43 am »

You know what you could do? Send in suicide bombers with primed grenades set for 0 and rush them from hiding. A nasty little tatic, and dont forget that your power cores in your ufo's explode as well as the navigation tables. Good for taking out crowds.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 06:05:40 am »

You know what you could do? Send in suicide bombers with primed grenades set for 0 and rush them from hiding. A nasty little tatic, and dont forget that your power cores in your ufo's explode as well as the navigation tables. Good for taking out crowds.

In TTS, UFO Power Cores/Navigation systems can't be destroyed mid battle, for balance sake.

Also, grenades primed for 0 explode immediately. I learned that the hard way.

Sectoids have pretty good throwing arms, though. Better than humans usually(I have been the victim of grenades when I can't even see aliens, "blind throwing", so to speak. I plan to use the tactic when I get the chance).

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 09:10:00 am »

Grenades set to immediately and those set to 1 aren't too amazingly different. I don't really know why we even have that option for a timer...

Also, never underestimate the Sectoids armed with plasma pistols. Slag attacked one of my landed Abductors when we were playing last night. Aside from all 7 crewmen being OUTSIDE the ship, I was sure I was fucked. He sent 1 guy to the top of the stairs and piled everyone else out the back of the Skyranger. I had 2 sectoids around the north-east corner of the map, very close to his Skyranger. He shot one of them, but I don't think he saw the other. I walked up, then auto-fired 3 times and killed 5 or so of his soldiers, and I didn't even see half of them. My other guys shot the soldier on the stairs, then the last guy panicked and wasted his TUs shooting at nothing, so killing him was trivial.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 06:37:25 am »

bump.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 11:34:52 am »

bump.

Just so everyone knows, I am trying to continue this. However, that relies on two people having free time at the same time, and Burnt Pies lives in the UK, so its a little difficult.

Wednesday I had a friend over and didn't have any time to play an update.

Thursday Burnt Pies wasn't able to.

Today I think Burnt Pies is also unavailable, but I'll try.

In the mean time, anyone have some strategies in mind? Research Focus?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 11:48:55 am »

Grouping together of UFO's on missions like Abduction & Terror. Shoot down the interceptors!  :o

Is there anyway to use the Snakemen's special ability as the Aliens? I remember fighting them in, like an Abductor once. I had to kill forty five of them before the mission ended.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:55 am »

What is the Snakeman's special ability, exactly?

Also:

How much control do you have over where ships go? Could you send them all to, say, Hawaii or something to make it less likely for your opponent to salvage them?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:18:24 pm by GlyphGryph »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »

In the mean time, anyone have some strategies in mind? Research Focus?

I'm not familiar with TTS, but I'm guessing it plays enough like your vanilla X-COM. Therefore: I would probably try to go for snakemen, plasma rifles and terror missions/-ships ASAP. Then attempt to bleed him dry with terror missions. My reasoning is that the most valuable assets for the human player are experienced operatives and elerium. Either a landed UFO or a terror mission gives you the most units to inflict casualties on X-COM ground teams, while a crashed UFO or a terror mission give the humans least possible amount of loot (ie. elerium). Ergo, terror mission spam.

While you're teching up to terror missions and bigger and badder aliens & alien weaponry, do your usual thing with infiltrations/recon on areas you can get away with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17