Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48249 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 12:47:28 pm »

3. A mixture of the first 2. You claim a UFO. When you crash, I assign you the most important looking unit(be it engineer, medic, leader, ect.). You can have very limited control over the behavior of this unit. The reason I say its limited is because this IS a competition, and I can't be restrained by "Will only fire human weapons".  ::)

Seeing how the aliens are equipped in a standarised fashion... roleplay is very limited anyway.
How can anyone have a stark raving mad sectoid commander with a blaster launcher spraying death in random directions sans turn 1 if you cannot customise any alien in a individual fashion.

As for the game itself...

It's kinda boring so far since all you have (for now) are scouts and sectoids that get cut to ribbons in 1 or 2 turns.
How long till interesting things start happening?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

Seeing how the aliens are equipped in a standarised fashion... roleplay is very limited anyway.
How can anyone have a stark raving mad sectoid commander with a blaster launcher spraying death in random directions sans turn 1 if you cannot customise any alien in a individual fashion.

True true. But I never underestimate the ability of B12 to twist my words and put me in a world of hurt. Safety first!  ;).....I suppose I'll reverse it back to just claiming UFOs then, unless anyone else feels otherwise.

As for the game itself...

It's kinda boring so far since all you have (for now) are scouts and sectoids that get cut to ribbons in 1 or 2 turns.
How long till interesting things start happening?

Hmmm. Depends on what you mean by 'interesting'. A medium scout will likely go down next update, meaning a battle that could last a bit. I am also going to start switching production into medium scouts, to capitalize all the research I've done. Anything bigger won't be happening until I start researching larger ships, which will come after I get my sweet, sweet plasma rifles.

However, it takes a bit to ramp up as Aliens in TTS. It won't be until February my base is in full production mode and I have larger ships...if I don't get unlucky, anyway. Right now its been pretty standard, but my opponent could take out my two medium scouts in one swift strike...which would be really, really bad.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 01:37:10 pm »

On the upside, all of your ships are capable of outpacing those pieces of garbage the humans try to pass off as fighter craft. I think, at least.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »

On the upside, all of your ships are capable of outpacing those pieces of garbage the humans try to pass off as fighter craft. I think, at least.

The first generation of fighters, anyway. The only way a human can intercept UFOs early game is by getting lucky(converging pathways) or by attacking the UFO when it launches after a mission.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »

Posting to watch. This game looks fun, too bad it was taken down.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »

I completely forgot about claiming ships. Alas, you probably would have been shot down anyway.

Also, this update has about 75 images. So brace yourself.  8)

I'm managing about a week per update. Which is pretty good. However, its probably going to slow down from here.

Comments, suggestions, posting to watch, witty jokes, complaints, some other things, are welcome, as always.

"Edit" Also, I know this is obvious, but I wanted to point it out. If you want to give me advice, please do not use info from the Human thread. It makes it unfair for both parties.

"Edit2" Before I forget, was the pacing better in this? I tried to slow down a bit.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:29:13 pm by Orb »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 05:39:56 pm »

Damn, I need to find someone to play this game with sometime...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »

I liked it. How do you generate organs/alloys/elerium? I'm not familiar with TTS so I don't really know any of its intricacies. If you get alloys & al. through a magic chute from Cydonia, there's no way for X-COM to really bleed you dry?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 05:56:09 pm »

From my limited knowledge of TTS, you get organs by harvest/abduction missions, I think Cydonia sends you alloys and elerium (maybe concrete, too) and you make concrete using base facilities.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »

I loved this update.

++good job

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 06:23:44 pm »

From my limited knowledge of TTS, you get organs by harvest/abduction missions, I think Cydonia sends you alloys and elerium (maybe concrete, too) and you make concrete using base facilities.

Somewhat(not really) spot on.

Alien Alloys/Concrete are made in buildings. The purpaly one(automated rig I think?) for Alien Alloys. Concrete is made in the gray building(construction rig...or something).

Organs/Alien food are obtained from Harvesting mission in equal amount. One mistake I made in previous games was to hover low on alien food. This was devastating when my medium scout, which was harvesting, was shot down. I try to hover between 10-20 now.

All four resources are supplied by supply ships from Cydonia once a month. However, these -can- be intercepted(though I believe its a glitch, it's completely unfair part of the game. A human player has to simply hover his Sky ranger over my base to intercept them). I will probably discuss this feature/glitch with my opponent at some point to decide if we are going to allow it.

"Edit" The amount of supplies is dependent on how aggressive you are. Sit in your base all day, no supplies.

"Edit2" Discussed it with my opponent. In order to give supplies, the supply ship has to land for like a day. During this time he can do a ground attack. However, he can not intercept it when it leaves, meaning he can't leave his interceptors on top of it while its landed. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:39:51 pm by Orb »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.

It's kind of silly to ask, and I would assume otherwise, but... Can the alien offensive get shut down by Cydonia if you don't do anything for long periods of time? >.<

If not, then you might actually be able to camp in your base producing half your resources while sending out some ships to harvest the rest and then just overwhelm X-COM once you have an army built and armed.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 06:50:37 pm »

But would that then be any fun?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 06:52:34 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.

It's kind of silly to ask, and I would assume otherwise, but... Can the alien offensive get shut down by Cydonia if you don't do anything for long periods of time? >.<

If not, then you might actually be able to camp in your base producing half your resources while sending out some ships to harvest the rest and then just overwhelm X-COM once you have an army built and armed.

While no, the operation can not get shut down, you are forgetting about a resource.

Electrium.

It can only be gained from supply ships, and its used to build ships.

You also forget, in order to abduct(I assume this is the 'other' resource you're talking about), I require high research. In order to do research, I require harvesting for alien food. And bam. Thats already three missions. The fourth mission I have left is infiltration, which I suppose is optional. The last 3 missions are only unlocked after March.

So yes, I could hide in my base, but my opponent would just get waaay too ahead of me. Its like turtling in an RTS. Doesn't work too well.

Also:
But would that then be any fun?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 07:07:01 pm »

Pacing seemed fine. Very nice in general.

Also, how does scouting decay work?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17