Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48262 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2012, 04:54:33 pm »

I'd support having the Snakemen build the base, party for the terror missions, and mostly because I really loved the Snakemen in The Two Sides.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »

So - your starter base can produce any race, but further bases can only produce the type they were started by, right? And it can produce their terror companions, I assume?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2012, 05:07:08 pm »

So - your starter base can produce any race, but further bases can only produce the type they were started by, right? And it can produce their terror companions, I assume?

Uh...I actually don't know. I've always had this knowledge, but I don't know where it came from. Either from an alien guide I read, or Comp, since he taught me how to play.

You see, I have yet to finish a game of TTS. Either we start over because I was still learning and screwed up majorly, or a bug renders our game unplayable.

I am reaching the point in the game I haven't reached before. I haven't researched Psionics, Destroyer, Heavy Plasma, or any techs after that yet, so I don't know what they do.

I know Psioics is for mind control(Sectoid Leader Units), I know Terror Ship comes after Destroyer, and Heavy Plasma leads to Blaster Launchers and better ship weapons.

In all, I'd assume they can produce their terror companions, but we'll see. I could probably test it, but I'm too lazy to do so.  :P
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:10:02 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2012, 05:58:17 pm »

So, ideas for the usage of my new base, when I get it?

Remember, it can only produce the race it was created with, so no Sectoids.

I plan to have it be Snakemen. It will be filled with mostly small scouts, being cheap in Elerium. Using up Elerium at two bases is sure to deplete my reserves fast. This base will be used for(suicidal) scouting purposes, and to overwhelm my opponent.

Ideas?

Assuming snakemen bases at least resemble those from the single player game... Go for snakemen and their pets since those things (chryssalids that is) are hillariously evil.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2012, 07:02:36 pm »

I am reaching the point in the game I haven't reached before. I haven't researched Psionics, Destroyer, Heavy Plasma, or any techs after that yet, so I don't know what they do.

I know Psioics is for mind control(Sectoid Leader Units), I know Terror Ship comes after Destroyer, and Heavy Plasma leads to Blaster Launchers and better ship weapons.
Psionics are for mind control AND panic attacks, and can be used by sectoid leaders/commanders and all ranks of ethereals. Also, unlike to original game, ethereals come with all ranks, not just leaders and commanders. You find commanders on board terror ships and battleships with a gear level of "Good" and during alien base defense I think. Heavy plasma is fun.

Humans get psionics by interrogating psi-capable aliens, so as long as he doesn't capture any live ones you're okay. Also, don't let blaster launchers fool you when you get them, I think they canned the waypoint system. That, or it's some ambiguous key I don't know about. I almost shot my ethereal medic in the back when my ethereal commander fired his blaster launcher in Necro's base, thinking I would set the waypoint but instead just shooting it straight into the floor outside the hangar. Strangely enough, the medic was unharmed.

Little bit of advice: mutons and ethereals require double the food of other races. A ship with 5 mutons/ethereals on board will consume 10 food a mission. I could understand it with mutons, being huge brutes, but it's probably for balance purposes when it comes to ethereals because they're physically retarded and have little energy-burning processes to begin with.
It seems that way. I had races up to Snakemen when I was playing against Necro and I sent out a mothership loaded with sectoids. When the base was built, I could only breed sectoids and cyberdiscs.

Also, GOOD GOD MAN. Research large ship construction, or something! They're more efficient. 4 tiles of facility = 5 construction docks. The same goes for large breeding.

Oh, and about snakemen, they are SLOW ASS and have bullshit reaction scores but they can shoot surprisingly accurately.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:04:40 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2012, 07:20:31 pm »

Also, GOOD GOD MAN. Research large ship construction, or something! They're more efficient. 4 tiles of facility = 5 construction docks. The same goes for large breeding.

I worked out the numbers(well, fudged them  :P). During the time of construction, I am losing the construction speed of 4 construction docks for however many days it is. It will take 4x that many days of construction to break even.

Just for numbers sake, its probably 10 days for construction.

That means I lost 40 days worth of 1 construction dock.

It would take 40 days to break even. Meaning, if I started now, it would be mid march when it starts turning a profit.

To me, the short term benefits are worth more than the long term. I would also have to expend resources obtaining the techs.

However, I plan to get both the large building techs before I get my new base, so I can enjoy the increased efficiency without losing construction time. I'll probably squeeze the techs between harvester and supply ship.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. Most of that I didn't know.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2012, 08:19:40 pm »

Eh, I never really bothered with taking into consideration how long it would take me to demolish half my base and rebuild it. Whatever time is lost is usually only enough time for 1-3 UFOs to get attacked, anyway.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:55 pm »

I have conflicted feelings on this issue.

On the one hand, you want to play for the long haul, not the short one. Especially as the faction that's expected to get all its ships shot down and crews slaughtered early on.

On the other hand, keeping the pressure on them is fairly important; or at least, I'd assume so, not having played this myself.

So, I don't know what the proper balance is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:43 pm »

Oh yes, snakemen. Their little terror buddies are bad enough when controlled by the AI; I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to run up against a snakemen terror mission or base with a human player setting the ambushes...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »

Oh yes, snakemen. Their little terror buddies are bad enough when controlled by the AI; I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to run up against a snakemen terror mission or base with a human player setting the ambushes...
Heh, I made Necro pack up his shit and run before he even left the map squares the Skyranger spawns on. I blew up his tank and killed several soldiers, and I didn't even use the chryssalids!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »

Does Power Armour help X-Com that much in these cases?

On a related note, does the game COME with a Power Armour sprite? Currently, it's just a pink box for me. :(

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 03:01:12 pm »

It /should/, I think. But I've never played Two Sides till power armor, so...

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:05 pm »

They never completed the power armour sprites, along with the Chryssalids and a couple other terror units (I think Mutons and Ethereals might be unfinished too). However the good news is that the game can extract the sprites from the original X-COM and use them instead. Blocky Chryssalids and power armour might look out of place, but it's better than pink and black rectangles. Of course, if you don't have the original X-COM, then you will have to pirate the game will have to get somebody else to extract the resources are out of luck.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2012, 03:35:49 pm »

My copy, that I got from [redacted], has the power armor sprites. So never fear! We shall not meet pink boxes, I hope.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2012, 03:47:12 pm »

How you you get the decoder thingy to replace the radar?

I also manage to bag 40+ snake men on one mission. I should have used high explosives to kill the breeding area I left alone when I went to clear the ship. It was funny seeing a dozen snake men sharing 3 guns between themselves.

The human side hasn't updated yet. Game over already?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17