Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48258 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 01:27:19 pm »

What is the Snakeman's special ability, exactly?

Also:

How much control do you have over where ships go? Could you send them all to, say, Hawaii or something to make it less likely for your opponent to salvage them?

Snakemen can lay eggs to reproduce themselves in the middle of battle - very annoying at times!  >:(

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

How much control do you have over where ships go? Could you send them all to, say, Hawaii or something to make it less likely for your opponent to salvage them?
Not much. You tell them to perform a mission at a certain area on the planet, like South Africa or North America, and they will fly to a random place on the continent and perform their mission.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2012, 09:47:47 pm »

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2012, 09:56:33 pm »

I've been wanting to try the alien side for a while, but I never find anyone to do multiplayer with :P, too bad the development got shot down before they implemented human ai :\
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2012, 12:46:09 am »

I've been wanting to try the alien side for a while, but I never find anyone to do multiplayer with :P, too bad the development got shot down before they implemented human ai :\

I completely and totally agree.  Personally, I think the developers continue development without the X-Com.  Alien Invaders for the win!

But the developers haven't posted in their forum for about a year, so I think they just decided to give up.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2012, 01:01:35 am »

They got a cease and desist notice from the guys who own xcom now, the same ones that made a retarded FPS using the name, despite it having nothing to do with xcom, pretty much. I thought they would open source it to keep the development alive, but it seems like I was wrong :\
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2012, 01:25:44 am »

As Euchre said, if they dropped the name and actual x-com resources, they'd pretty much be in the clear.

Sure, it would be EXTREMELY derivative, but heck - that's Zynga's entire business model. Perfectly legal so long as you don't breach trademark (XCOM) or copyright (art assets, any actual game code - no idea how much of that if any is in the project)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 02:11:13 am »

I recall the developers of this game mentioned they were also afraid of being blackballed in the programming field.

While they would certainly be in the clear if they made a game featuring only the aliens and COMPLETELY CHANGED THE NAME, fighting off a lawsuit probably exceeds their resources, and is nothing to sneeze at.

The developers biggest mistake, of course, was naming their game "X-Com".  Even the guys responsible for the FPS know how to use google.  I notice none of the other remakes, with different names, are out of action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2012, 02:48:02 am »

Feature "only the aliens" is no different than featuring the aliens and the humans.

You just can't call it X-com, yeah.

The moment you do that, you're suddenly declaring it "official" - and they can ignore copyright violations left and right with no real repercussions, but they generally can't ignore trademark violations without significant risk.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »

Yep, it isn't even that they 'want' to shut them down. If a trademark violation is allowed to continue after the holder knows about it, they can lose the trademark.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:54 pm »

Anyone wanna give this a spin with me sometime? I live in Britain but I'm a student so I'm free most of the time :>

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2012, 06:58:25 pm »

I'll be up for games after my exams are over, Twiggie. :)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2012, 08:16:59 pm »

This is not dead! I got distracted by:

Spoiler: Free Stuff (click to show/hide)

I might be able to play an update tomorrow. However, I am three days behind on Math Homework. So we'll see how lazy I get.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2012, 08:26:45 pm »

Agh. I saw the spoiler and thought it was an update.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2012, 08:40:00 pm »

Hey, Orb, if you get into fallout, I was going to be doing a Lets Play of Fallout: Online sometime over the summer and would certainly appreciate more people being interested. :P

Don't know if the GoG version is good enough, though... we'll see, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17