Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48282 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »

Bah. >:(
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:37 pm »

Yup. TTS loves crashing in the middle of important times. Murphy's Law is very popular with this game.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:15 pm »

Is it possible to assault the alien base with nothing but laser weapons? It's still march and I already found it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »

Is it possible to assault the alien base with nothing but laser weapons? It's still march and I already found it.
If you have good tactics and decent soldiers, it's probably possible to pull it off with coveralls and rifles. You can probably do it with lasers, though.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »

Played 4 hours today. I have over 130 images. This will likely be split into two updates, one being tomorrow.

Spoiler: I got Xanatos.  8)

Also: Since I dealt a stinging blow to my opponent, by destroying his entire Skyranger troops complement, we may consider ending it now. I have a significant advantage at the moment, and it seems bleak he will catch up.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2012, 07:51:15 pm »

At least he didn't lose the Skyranger.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

Orb, do you know the system specs for the game and the likelyhood of being able to run it on a 'nix box? I can run the original fine, but don't know about this one. I really want to do one of these now. :P

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2012, 01:53:53 am »

Hm... could you call a two month truce with him, where you don't expand and he gets time to sell off lasers for cash and get back on his feet?

Fair enough if you're satisfied with your win, of course, but I would like to see late-game alien goodness. :)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2012, 02:47:53 am »

Well, that's somewhat unfortunate then.

By the way, from your experience/what you've heard, how well is the game balanced as far as the two factions are concerned? Is it pretty even or does one side tend to have an advantage?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2012, 06:08:02 am »

The idea is now that someone else will take the torch, so to speak. We talked about it for a bit. I think he's already posted the download link in the human thread. So Grypth, if your friend wants to take on this challenge?  ;)

If you want an RP explanation, Burnt failed hard, and was executed fired.

Game balance? I'd say the entire game is balanced, except for terror missions. They give such an advantage to aliens that I'm not sure what humans can do about them. The terrain favors defensive play, and the terror units can just rip through humans.

I'd also say that abductors/harvesters collect a tad too much. Game becomes easy button once you get a few of them, and you can successfully avoid your opponent.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2012, 06:37:17 am »

For terror missions, I'd say what they should do is either get the tech to shoot down the terror ships, or send in a bunch of worthless guys to make a token effort and then retreat when it's obvious they can't win.

This is why I try to get independent of the funding councils ASAP in single player, actually - then I can safely ignore terror missions completely, whee!

But, yeah - ship full of mooks, until I get psychics, then MOSTLY ship full of mooks.

Also, I'll get a hold of him and make the offer, should know for sure by the end of the weekend.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »

I object, Orb. I think the game is clearly easier for the aliens. They have a bottomless pit of resources as long as they keep the heat up, they can clone infinite numbers of soldiers, all of whom have fairly uniform stats and can arm them well for dirt cheap. Get a couple abductors and you will have a battleship full of ethereals breaking down X-COM's door faster than he can say "what the shit?" Alien soldiers are completely, 100% expendable. If one alien dies, nothing major is lost. If one X-COM soldier dies, that's 15 points, $60,000 and all the experience that soldier has collected down the drain.

The thing is, the humans have huge issues detecting aliens. The aliens can be swarming around an interceptor and never get caught, simply because radar sweeps every 30 minutes and has a low chance of picking up alien craft. You can attrition X-COM to death by flying ships randomly all across the globe and dropping their score, lowering their funding.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:59 pm »

I'd really like to try my luck as the humans in this game. I've noticed I have a much much different playstyle than many xcom players, and I wonder how the differences would play out versus a human opponent.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2012, 11:42:16 pm »

I object, Orb. I think the game is clearly easier for the aliens. They have a bottomless pit of resources as long as they keep the heat up, they can clone infinite numbers of soldiers, all of whom have fairly uniform stats and can arm them well for dirt cheap. Get a couple abductors and you will have a battleship full of ethereals breaking down X-COM's door faster than he can say "what the shit?" Alien soldiers are completely, 100% expendable. If one alien dies, nothing major is lost. If one X-COM soldier dies, that's 15 points, $60,000 and all the experience that soldier has collected down the drain.

The thing is, the humans have huge issues detecting aliens. The aliens can be swarming around an interceptor and never get caught, simply because radar sweeps every 30 minutes and has a low chance of picking up alien craft. You can attrition X-COM to death by flying ships randomly all across the globe and dropping their score, lowering their funding.

Can you lower X-COM's funding enough to do damage before his laser-driven economy takes off? I'm something like two months in on single-player, and my sales of laser weapons are 1 1/2 - 2 times my sponsor funds.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:47 am »

Motion Detectors make you more than lasers in core xcom at least, don't know about two sides though. I think... Heavy Plasma for ships makes the most?

My math is old and fuzzy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17