Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48288 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2012, 03:58:05 pm »

How you you get the decoder thingy to replace the radar?

If you're talking about what I think you are, you need to capture a live navigator. Use mind probes to figure out who the navigator is, because he looks no different from the rest.

My opponent has not been on Steam. He is likely busy in this strange world called "Real Life". I will give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. I will also continue if he stops updating. His thread is just a "bonus", this LP will go on without human updates. I'm pretty sure the Alien perspective is the main attraction to this LP anyway. Of course, he has to play for there to be updates, so we'll see.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

If he does disappear, can someone else pick up the other side instead of needing to start over again?

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

I'd like to play a game with somebody :(
I could replace  your opponent but i'm not good at lping  at all

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2012, 04:19:56 pm »

I tried the mind probe before but there's no rank in the screen shown anywhere. I don't even see where the ranks for my own soldiers are.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2012, 04:21:20 pm »

If he does disappear, can someone else pick up the other side instead of needing to start over again?

There are several problems.

The technical problem is that we get 'half saves' so to speak. I can't simply take my save and load it up single player. It won't work. Same goes if one side saves over their save. We can't use that save anymore, even though I have the save. This happened a lot between Comp and I when we relied on autosave. One of us would play single player, and bam, our save is gone.

The nontechnical problem is that I'm going to have to find someone who has not even peaked in this thread. While not impossible, it might still be a challenge with 1k+ views.

My potential solutions are as follows:

If Burnt Pies uploads his save, and then someone else plops it into his save directory, we should be fine. I've never tested it before though. Heck, my previous theory could be completely wrong, but based on testing that's what I assume.

For finding a player, I'm not sure how. I'd just have to ask around.

If these hurtles can be passed, sure, we could easily continue.

I'd like to play a game with somebody :(
I could replace  your opponent but i'm not good at lping  at all

You don't need to LP. As I said before, it was just a bonus. The main idea is to show a LP of X-com, from the Alien perspective.

Unfortunately, you have (probably) read this thread already, and as I said before, it wouldn't really be fun if my opponent knew everything. Maybe if I start over.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2012, 04:21:20 pm »

You can also just go by standard procedure. Which it to say, stunstick everything your first few missions. Once they're knocked out, you can see their rank if you have a soldier move over them and select them in the inventory screen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2012, 04:26:54 pm »

Orb, I am pretty sure I can get you a player. I can't promise they will handle the human side of the LP thread, but they'd at least be willing to play and haven't read this thread.

They could, potentially, describe what happened to me and send me screenshots and I could write up the human LP. I'm sure we could work it out.

Hopefully, of course, none of that is needed. But perhaps you and your opponent should both consider loading up your half of the save with every post? At least then if we did have a situation, we could fall back to the last update and not worry about anything even if a player mysteriously disappears.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2012, 04:38:17 pm »

Orb, I am pretty sure I can get you a player. I can't promise they will handle the human side of the LP thread, but they'd at least be willing to play and haven't read this thread.

They could, potentially, describe what happened to me and send me screenshots and I could write up the human LP. I'm sure we could work it out.

Hopefully, of course, none of that is needed. But perhaps you and your opponent should both consider loading up your half of the save with every post? At least then if we did have a situation, we could fall back to the last update and not worry about anything even if a player mysteriously disappears.

Hmmm. You have a point with the upload. However, I am a lazy individual.  :P

Maaaybe. I'll think about it.

@majikero

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2012, 04:48:56 pm »

Navigators and leaders/commanders are the only aliens actually worth capturing beyond a random one for the "live alien" research topic (which I'm not even sure what that does, so whatever)

@FlyingDice this is harder than what you would think. I got one soldier killed and another almost got shot trying to stunrod a sectoid soldier from the front, with no other sectoids around! Any halfway competent alien overmind will have his aliens facing you, so you either pick out a specific target and make sure he's the last dude alive or use small launchers.

Also, navigators -may- carry heavy weapons. Medics carry small launchers usually, but I'm not sure what those engineers and navigators are packin'.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2012, 04:59:17 pm »

Navigators and leaders/commanders are the only aliens actually worth capturing beyond a random one for the "live alien" research topic (which I'm not even sure what that does, so whatever)

Live alien research increases damage to said species by 10%. While not the best research, it can make the difference.

Researching corpses increases the stats of recruits(and maybe current members, I haven't bothered to check yet)

Sectoid: Perception

Floater: Bravery

I forget beyond there. You can check the UFOpaedia in the game after you complete the research.

There's also the fact that just capturing ANY alien gives you a one time boost to research. Soldiers give the least, then medic, engineer, navigator, and so on...capturing a live commander will probably auto research a tech. You can check at the results screen.

Engineers are worth it to capture also. They allow new types of ships(Better Interceptor + Sky Ranger). I'm unsure if medic research does anything.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:00:48 pm by Orb »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »

Oh, damn. I didn't know that. I wondered what that strange area on the battle report screen was.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »

@FlyingDice this is harder than what you would think. I got one soldier killed and another almost got shot trying to stunrod a sectoid soldier from the front, with no other sectoids around! Any halfway competent alien overmind will have his aliens facing you, so you either pick out a specific target and make sure he's the last dude alive or use small launchers.

Also, navigators -may- carry heavy weapons. Medics carry small launchers usually, but I'm not sure what those engineers and navigators are packin'.

I think it is typically leaders and engineers that spawn with heavy weapons, but I could be wrong on that. And my tactic for capping would probably be something along the lines of spamming smoke nades, popping a rookie into sight to draw reaction fire, and then rushing with other rookies with stunsticks. If the target isn't in a rushable position (say, the middle of a field), I'd just gun them down. I have noticed (though it could be biased information) that navigators tend to be with the ship, in the same way that engineers and leaders often are (at least at spawn).

But in SP I've found stunning can be a nice way to help soldiers train, because you can check for prisoners you want, wait for the rest to wake up, and use the useless ones as target practice while restunning the ones you want to keep. Of course, to use this in TTS, you'd have to collect all the dropped weapons, or it could turn rather messy.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:07 pm »

Since there isn't going to be an update today, and I want to avoid homework, I'm going to share the best moment I've had in TTS.

It was a Floater Terror mission. I was the Aliens. I floated around, abusing buildings, generally annoying my opponent, Comp. Shot civies. Then an idea occurred to me. Why not float on top of the Skyranger? This would surely confuse my opponent even more, and likely get a few kills.

So I successfully floated to the top Skyranger without getting caught. But then an even better idea came to me. Set off an explosive in the Skyranger

So I did it, successfully, and for bonus points, I still didn't get caught. 1 turn later, Comp was spamming the chat, wondering why his Skyranger was exploding.  :)

I camped up on the Skyranger even longer, and IIRC, got a few more X-com before getting shot down.

Remember: Any excess equipment not equipped lays on the floor of the Skyranger. A lucky alien grenade, or a sneaky floater, can ruin your fun.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2012, 06:25:10 pm »

Heh, Necro tried to blow my skyranger up with a sectoid. I was assaulting a medium scout and a lot of smoke was floating around, due to a failed HE throw that took 1 soldier: the thrower. Moria Homburger needed her named changed to Moria Hamburger after that one...

Anywho, his UFO and my skyranger were on different sides of the map. All but 1 of my soldiers, my sniper, were standing outside the door to the UFO. The HE smoke dominated the very middle of the map, and I was right about to prime a 'nade and cook the aliens "in" the UFO when my sniper saw a sectoid walking around the smoke cloud and shot at it, and missed. Then it walked up to the ramp, he shot it again. And missed, hitting the ramp. His sectoid walked up to the pile of shit in my skyranger and picked up an explosive, he was about to arm it and commit suicide right when I walk my sniper up the ramp and blew his head off.

It was a great time, and was caused by me. I had ignored the UFO door opening, thinking nobody came out. It turns out that one sectoid was the guy who left. I almost got half my gear blown up because of it. Good thing I had that sniper there! :)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2012, 08:47:02 pm »

Welp. Was playing an update today with Burnt. We had our longest battle yet. Then it crashed.

TTS doesn't like it when nothing happens, I suppose(He ran out of HE and had to dash the UFO. We ended up having a stare down, so to speak, with him tossing in explosives occasionally).

Burnt didn't have his autosave on, so we have to start over. =/
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17