Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Future Game Ideas  (Read 2765 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Future Game Ideas
« on: March 31, 2012, 03:41:10 pm »

So I will be leaving for two months on Tuesday, completely computer less. This opens up some options, because I will have a lot of time to myself and a lot of free time to think. I would like to gauge interest on a future game. If I know what type I am doing I will be able to expand on a massive story and line the whole thing out. Generally I drop the story out of the fact that this trip has loomed over me and "well, I'll be leaving anyway" wins out and I find it difficult to post.

So what would you guys like to have? Space? Fantasy? Please no steampunk. (I absolutely abhor the idea of clockwork and steam power being used en mass.) Western? Suggestion? Player based? Urban-fantasy? Horror? Exploration? Medieval? Realistic? Space based pioneering? Survival? Post apocalypse? Pirates? Rhonin? Ninjas? Shoguns? Aztec? Tribal? Egyptian? Cult?

You can choose the time period for certain types of genre (post apocalyptic, horror, survival,exploration, and cult respectively).

If you want you can be as detailed about what you would like to see or as terse as you like. Some direction would be nice though.

I find myself leaning toward sci fi but a then I see aspects of fantasy that would be great too.

Please give some input so I can have an idea of what you guys would like to see and can come back with a massive, super cool forum game. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:11:56 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Future Game Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 03:55:56 pm »

Steampunk

Scifi fantasy tends to be overdone unless you have some sort of unique twist to it. Try some Hard-scifi.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »

Steampunk

Scifi fantasy tends to be overdone unless you have some sort of unique twist to it. Try some Hard-scifi.

Yes. Sorry if that was unclear. I would like a pure genre. I am leaning toward scifi but fantasy has some things I would like to do too. It will be "Hard" whichever genre is chosen. I find it difficult to take anything seriously that walks a number of paces in one direction then strays from the path for no conceivable reason. It will either be all scifi or all fantasy or all western or all whatever, but no in between.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:01:01 pm »

Medium-hard scifi with an epic (as in, large in scale and with vast effects) plot, with prominent strategical elements (choose where to strike, which fleets to use, stuff like that).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:02:26 pm »

Medium-hard scifi with an epic (as in, large in scale and with vast effects) plot, with prominent strategical elements (choose where to strike, which fleets to use, stuff like that).

I assume this is a suggestion game?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »

The most important aspect is you actually liking and being interested in it.

Beyond that, I'd avoid avoiding things for the sake of being different. Warping large parts of the game in order to accommodate some gimmick tends to result in a dead forum game with a relatively unique feature.

Specifically to my tastes, I'd definitely say player-based. Suggestion games just don't have the investment and responsibility needed to be as meaningful, I think.

Actual setting I'm probably an overly biased opinion towards right now, since I'm planning my own things that are or at least involve fantasy scifi. I will point out that even "normal" scifi can't usually keep all the magic out, though, and I'm not sure I see a problem with that.

Also, character advancement. Everything needs character advancement.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:08:38 am »

That's for you to decide over your two months of free time. It works as a player-based multiplayer as well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 04:10:11 am »

That's for you to decide over your two months of free time. It works as a player-based multiplayer as well.

Of course. Thank you for the input.

Anyone else?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:23:03 am »

Make sure you set the scale and your personal workload on a level that you can manage. I've seen too many games die because (I assume) the GM got tired of noting that Frigate 135 of Empire 8 had used 13 Kinetic Pulsar Missiles and sustained damage of 85% on its aft shield. People like stories, don't get too caught up in numbers.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:00:58 am »

I suggest some AlienTM based game. yes, the facehuggers-chestbursters ones.
We do play the aliens of course.

Maybe start with one alien, like a suggestion game, but players can only order one alien around, so finally each player will have its own alien.

Add possibilities of evolution (drone->warrior->pretorian->queen (limited to one). And drone can transform humans into eggs (like in first Alien cutscene) if queen is not around.). And maybe some little personalisation (alien is different depending on host, only a little but still.)

And try not to bother with too much details and dice-rolling.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 09:03:57 am »

...Weird suggestion:
A man with no memories who lives in a kumquat field where the kumquats are his friends and talk to him.