Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [Community Fort] Workedwheel, Defense From the Undead Menace  (Read 10145 times)

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community Fort] Gloriescloister, Defense From the Lurching Menace
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »

Done and done! Nix, I'll get you in the next wave; King, you're now our poor, solitary builder who's being slowly worked under ATM.  :(

Though that does give you a good reason to hate said caste system... you're currently being overloaded with orders for bins, buckets, barrels, beds, new walls, tree cutting, setting up some cage traps in the entrance, MAKING some cages for said traps, etc....

(Gods we need a builder in the next wave)

And I know, they won't attack.... I can, sadly enough, make the embark only so perfect. *Must have genned like 9 different worlds*

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »

I'll take the next smith that comes up, kind sir! Weaponsmith preferably. Name would be Dohon.

Now, looking forward to reading more! 
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »

Me and mah dorf both love battleaxes.

Noice.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 04:57:33 pm »

Will be posting an update tonight once I get a chance - looking forward to laying down some final groundwork for the different levels of our temp fortress, building a barracks, making some more iron weapons for export (don't have any artisans, so no mass produced stone crafts), and expanding our above-ground area with a farming/pasture area and an archer's tower.

I'm still amazed that things are going so smoothly... I still have no idea where the aquifer layer is (??), and I still haven't seen any undead... I know I'm tempting fate here, but I'd be very upset if some insane calamity didn't come for me before the year was out.

Next up: getting a second builder, chef, and forger, so we can start switching people out into militia cross-training shifts.

EDIT: Yeah, no post tonight... I played through past Malachite, and then I started reading through the Markedangels succession thread.... *read chilton's 2nd turn and can't stop laughing*

Anyways, update tomorrow. Nothing crazy yet. Got everyone dwarfed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:25:38 pm by Gigmaster »

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »

12th Malachite

Work on the new temporary fortress quarters is underway, along with a basic barracks and range. Alath's current plan is to cobble together a temporary fortress, which will serve Gloriescloister in its infancy; in the meantime (once we gets more miners and builders), we'll start designing and building the fortress proper without having to worry about the kittens and the immigrants and the wild, escaped animals and the tantrums and the blood (ooooh boy, the blood) getting in the way of construction. Kingfisher – our solitary builder (he told me about his nickname today over some blueprints) is working with a central staircase design – a large, 8x8, unbroken pillar, surrounded by a winding staircase, inside which can be put lava pipes, water pipes, axels, and vampires (or other undesirables), transversing the whole fortress, floor by floor.

Our current design problem revolves around getting military personell to where they need to go, without endangering the whole fort. Queen Alath Lashcare left us mostly to our own devices in desigining our curtain wall – just as long as it can be linked up with the forts to our southeast and our northwest. Siege weapons are going to be useless: thanks to an obscure, ancient dwarven law, adjusting the trajectory of siege emplacements to hit higher or lower enemies is considered 'treasonous', and that leaves us with a whole handful of meters before rendering our might ballistas useless. Also, the gate houses... I'm arguing for one, and Alath is arguing for two, emphasizing our need to have multiple avenues for hapless immigrants who lose their way in the Lurching Hills (not to mention escape for military expeditions). Honestly, I think he places too much faith in our steel; I've seen badger skeletons rip right through chain mail like butter with one expertly aimed tooth.

In other news, Nish just uncovered a great cavern underneath the fortress, only about fifteen floors down... looks promising. We're sealing it off for the present - only a suicidal fort, or a desperate one, would go exploring in the dark before its first year.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Malachite 15th

Parshuram took on the red cloak of an elite brother today... I can't lie, I'm a little jealous, journal,

Galena 13th

Decontamination unit set up at the entrance. Still don't know what that ooze will do to us, but I for one am very, very okay not finding out.

In the meantime, our food and drink stockpiles are slowly increasing... our current situation:

I think I can allow myself a small amount of cautious optimism at this point, journal.

Limestone 2nd

Our first hatching!

A really good showing too - over 13 chicks. Weird thing though; it was literally an explosion... before we knew what was happening, we had a crowd of little turkey chicks running around everywhere like firework sparklers, waddling out the door and down the hill. *sighs* More turkey wrangling...

Leader and Chef Athel is just happy to have more meat to work with - in the future, anyhoo. She's been cranking out some damn good brews, too...

Not all is as comforting, journal... I was talking with Athel about her God, and his gigantic, long name.... Apparently Amas Hollowcrested has some... dangerous ideas about certain animals...

Limestone 9th

Several people - myself included - have been complaining about the lack of wells around the fort. Sure, booze 24/7 is great, but I don't mind getting at least a little bit of the solid cake of clay off of me from time to time.

So Athal now has this great idea for how to build a well to the cavern down below - "And it's so much safer than just digging straight down!" Apparently it involved something about controlled cave-ins and punching through floors and... gaaaah. I'd just as soon not want to know, as long as I'm standing on something nice and solid when that support is dropped.

And more hatchings! A batch of nine this time. We're going to have to expand the above-ground fort just to give us enough space for all of them...

We also had the first birth of something we weren't going to slaughter for food! Possibly not, anyways.

In other news, Kingfisher has been feeling a little bit better as of late... he's been kind of grumpy for the past couple of weeks, but I think we're finally settling into a routine here.

Maybe that's because of a new past-time she's found...

I hope it works out for them. Most fort romances have this tendency to fall apart in blood and fire.

Limestone 23rd

Oh Allas, whyyyyy....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:50:00 pm by Gigmaster »

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 03:35:24 pm »

Fresh meat!

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:07 pm »

EXECUTIVE DECISION TIME!!

So, I played ahead until Autumn of next year... and I'm not getting any zombies, or undead anything. *Saddest face!* The worst thing we got was a small goblin ambush and four kobold thieves, all of which Parshuram, our other elite marksdwarf and myself chopped to pieces with our iron bolts and other gear. Either this haunted biome is bugged somehow, or the randomly generated biome attributes make it the tamest distended eye and rotting flesh-filled biome ever.

THIS IS DISAPPOINT!!

So, in the interests of fun, I'm editing a bunch of world parameters to make a world with much, much more !!Fun!!. I'll then be playing through to Winter of the first year - where I ended off here - dorfing everyone dorfed as I can, and calling what came before a 'nice, hopeful dream of prosperity.' Seriously, I had over 800 drink, 1300 other food, I had steel production starting up, I had one tower of the wall made, and the whole thing was feeling waaay too easy. Those immigrants we left off with? Made it through without a problem. Totally unacceptable! I demand blood!

I'll be posting up the area details when I gen a world I'm happy with. Sorry for the hold-up guys - I just think Gloriescloister needs to have much more danger.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:50 pm »

I agree. There must be undead, and there must be battle.

Go for terrifying next time instead of haunted... that'll get things rolling.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 08:22:46 pm »

Yeah... I'm editing weighting savagery, titan count (90!) and a number of other things.

Also, I'm ramping up civs from a large region default to 75. more civs = more gods = more death gods = more necromancer towers? I also increased the number of secret types.

Lots of values being screwed with.

Also: I'm thinking of changing everything to third person. If I end up making this a succession fort some time in the distant future, whatever, but for now, writing all 'journal' style seems to constraining.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:25:24 pm by Gigmaster »

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »

How goes your world genning?

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 03:41:14 pm »

It goes very well! I just finally found what I think is the perfect spot. Lemme show you...

After genning like 10 bloody maps... *shudders*

I just need to find the time to sit down and play. *eh heh heh*

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 04:21:24 am »

Can I get a male sage by the name of Bhaal.(if you've played baldur's gate you would get the reference...and the irony.)

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 10:51:58 am »

:P :P Course I do. Still playing through... so far, so good!

Oh! Quick question: something stupid I just realized: I forgot to set the forts name to Gloriescloisters when I did the second start up. Is there a way to change the fort name in the raws?

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 10:34:01 am »

Updated Dorfs and Dorfings - we're in summer! And there's a CRAP ton of undead. (Yay!) Thankfully, the instant fort plan was a great success again. Sad thing, is I got a little too ambitious, and almost myself killed fending off a giant flock of undead ravens... I guess the expansion will have to wait.

Weird thing: there was this grace period of one month, nothing happened.... then an 18 unit list of undead romping in my direction out of nowhere. :S

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:05 am »

Are we all in?  With our requested professions? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5