Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

NEW: What other Doctor Who monsters would you want in your game?

Vashta Narada
Silurians
Sontarans
Malfunctioning Nanogenes
Ood
Macra (classic Who)
Zygons
Other (please comment!)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: !!DALEKS!! and Introducing: Cybermen!  (Read 77141 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: !!DALEKS!! and Introducing: Cybermen!
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2014, 03:12:13 pm »

I don't know if such an interaction would occur in worldgen, though. And those daleks would still have Kaled values. I think I'll keep the current premise of a small group of daleks being stranded in a DF universe.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2014, 11:56:12 pm »

I don't know if such an interaction would occur in worldgen, though.

It wouldn't.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »

Just to nitpick; your picture of a cyberman being converted, is, I believe, incorrect - they only removed the brain and destroyed the body.

I don't know, I might be wrong.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2014, 03:34:16 pm »

It changes by episode, because Doctor Who continuity is like that. Age of Steel, that's what they say. Cyberwoman, you have semi-converted people with mechanical and organic parts all over.

Jeez, I really should update this. And it wouldn't even be that hard (except for the Dalek entity), but that's shoddy time management for you. What errors happen when plugging these raws into the current version?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2015, 03:12:06 am »

I have no idea how to view errors, but it appears to work rather well.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2015, 04:00:03 am »

They'll be in "errorlog.txt" in the main folder.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2015, 12:41:24 pm »

Never noticed that before. On to copy pasting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's all I could find.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2015, 01:12:10 pm »

Hmm, not bad. That material thing could be a problem, though.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2015, 01:15:51 pm »

Hmm, not bad. That material thing could be a problem, though.
It should be simple to fix, change them from [BODY:HUMANOID:OTHERSTUFF] to [BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:OTHERSTUFF]. Remove the [START_GROUP_NUMBER] and remove the word yor from their language. The tissue thing only causes errors to show up, it has no effect on gameplay. It's some annoying thing that showed up and causes a lot of errors for a lot of mods and I don't know how to fix it, but it doesn't matter. You should also probably give them some gaits. For the cybermen I'd just copy the human gaits and maybe edit them slightly, but the daleks I don't really know.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2015, 03:27:33 am »

It was added in 0.40.24 as a notification for Toady since occasionally FBs had the issue. It is not something you should ignore, as any tissues that ought to use that material will use a completely different material instead.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »

Yeah, from the sound of it they're using stone right now.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:56 pm »

It changes by episode, because Doctor Who continuity is like that. Age of Steel, that's what they say. Cyberwoman, you have semi-converted people with mechanical and organic parts all over.
A bit of a necro, this (but not as much as expected, and less so given the previous last thread post), but I'm catching up on old threads of my interest after an extended absence...

It'll depend a bit on the circumstances.  Even ignoring the pre-millenial series (i.e. reboot series onwards, only), in the first (full) appearance of Cybermen (in Pete's universe, in the episodes Rise Of The Cybermen and The Age Of Steel), the first Cybermen (and women) of that type were created by industrial effort and conversion pods, in which all 'useless' bits and pieces of the body were removed and replaced with a cybernetic chassis as per the method that their creator had developed.

By the time of the Battle Of Canary Wharf (Army Of Ghosts and Doomsday) the Pete's Universe Cybermen who had established themselves (albeit with resistance, by Humanity, by the likes of Rose and Ricky!Micky) had part-assembled their own conversion equipment that was necessarily less bulky and probably consisted of local resources (the non-Pete 'standard' universe).

As this is also where the Torchwood 'Cyberwoman' came from, we can see something of what was (partially) done, even though in the Doctor Who episode it was largely obscured by plastic sheeting.  I think we can assume that was an interrupted conversion.

It's arguable whether the episode The Next Doctor even feature Pete's Universe cybers (but actual Mondas ones, in a weird parallel development... the kind that originally made the 'classic' Cyberman head that was found in the hidden museum in the episode 'Dalek'), because all of Pete's Cybermen should have been drawn into the Void.  And then there's their possession of the historic record of the Doctor that the clearly Mondas cybers would have been encountering.

But word-of-God suggests these were Cybus Industries cybers, who then (defeated) went and mixed with the Mondas clan and inspired aesthetic/practical redevelopments of the cyberspecies that the reboot-series continues to employ in future encounters.

However, whoever these Victorian London cybers are, they appear to have had whatever form of ability to convert into full Cybermen deprecated by having been stripped of their usual equipment, and the basic lack of local technology to replace it...  They're basically making do (see also the non-cyber examples of Mme. Pompadour ship systems that went for a clockwork/bio-acquisition solution when things went wrong, and their sister ship's equivalent decisions in Breathe).  And without the Cybercontroller their capabilities seem limited to cyber-creatures and cyber-controlled humans (a lesser version of the 'earpiece hijacking' technology that appeared on Pete's World) and shear force of will over ordinary children until (they hope!) they can bring about the rise of their surrogate walking dreadnought technology and bring the mind of their main human collaborator into the collective.

Certainly it seems that Eleven (Pandorica, Closing Time and, especially, Nightmare In Silver) is dealing with Mondasian cybermen, as does Rory (when he's trying to track down Amy, in full on Roman Legionary mode, as he cuts like butter through the cyber-armada to deliver the question and the message for A Good Man Goes To War).  Nightmare In Silver shows that a properly established Cyber-colony now has technology somewhat similar to the Trek universe's Borg nanobot conversion, although Pandorica suggested that (re-)assimilation by a biologically-extinct Cyber-unit can also be undertaken by the mechanical head alone establishing a new 'host' (or, perhaps better, a new 'guest') consisting of just the head.

When Twelve eventually encounters his Cybermen, we (actually before we are actually aware of it) are shown that a full Cyberman body retains only bones beneath the metal shell (although presumably there'd be brain beneath the skull, and thus maybe marrow within the bones, but the Dark Water itself shows that no other obvious organic matter exists above those bones).  But even this method could have been kick-started by nano-infection.

So there are discrepancies (among which are the question of why sometimes they employ the rat-sized Cybermats, the insect-sized Cybermites or possible dog/cat-derived Cybershades as their more mobile 'helpers' while they're still working away in the shadows and/or underground), but you could explain it by local circumstances (especially the energy and resources available) and the amount/type of link they have to their cyber-forebears...

But for this DF mod, you could definitely pick any single version.  According to taste and/or what suits the modability of the game.  I don't think there's a 'wrong' way of doing it.  It can easily be something not-quite-canon and yet entirely fit how the Cyberrace would work if it got chucked through the Time Vortex and landed on the DF world. ;)

edit: And I've just remembered the "Wooden Cybermen" that appeared at the very end of Eleven's tenure as Doctor.  Although that wasn't so much "lack of resources" as the need to overcome the standing defences/detectors of the place the Doctor was currently protecting.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:39:01 pm by Starver »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2015, 08:47:50 pm »

Ah yes, it's a shame I can't ensure an exclusive pet species without DFhack.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2015, 05:36:59 am »

you forgot one thing (I only feel the need to tell you because I'm feeling inferior in my fandom.) In "Closing Time" Craig escapes from a (partial???) cyber conversion.

EDIT: this post is intended for starver
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:01:51 am by Urist McCoder »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2016, 04:42:09 pm »

I wanted to bring this mod up to date, so I've made the necessary changes to fix it.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12591

There's one error left, I hoped somebody might know the solution. Otherwise I can try to figure it out later.

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature CYBERMAN
undefined local creature material set to default: CYBERMAN MUSCLE_CYBER
undefined local creature material set to default: CYBERMAN SKIN_CYBER

Other than that, everything works fine. The Daleks do try to wipe out other races, and may sometimes succeed. I changed the Daleks to give them the [CRAZED] tag. Since it makes them try to kill everything that isn't a Dalek on sight, it seems fitting.

HugoLuman, if you find everything is as you like it, would you please take this and make it the current version in the OP, maybe after the cybermen bug is finished?

EXTERMINATE.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:44:03 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14