Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975528 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4455 on: October 13, 2013, 07:26:44 am »

SLEEP IS FOR THE MUNDANE! I'M A FUCKING MAGE!
That said, it is about time for me to go to bed...
Bwahaha, now we get to enjoy Ars2 all day while you slumber!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: October 13, 2013, 07:28:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: October 14, 2013, 02:07:15 am »

Playing with all these new massive mod packs, I've started to desire a gamemode that would give players certain attributes, such as "you burn in sunlight", "you cannot breathe outside this biome", "you can only use mod X". And you would end up having battles between desert thaumaturges (that's the word for someone practicing thaumcraft, right?) and powersuit wearing cave dwellers.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:06 am »

I remember the idea of using Tekkit for magic vs. technology.

The concept quickly was quashed by EE2 coming up with invincibility and omnipotence over the course of hours.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: October 14, 2013, 02:39:36 am »

Yeah I think I was actually the one who brought that up too :)

But I've dipped into a ton more mods and find this to be much more appealing then just straight up magic vs tech.

Does anyone know if it's even possible? To restrict people to staying in/out of sunlight, or certain biomes? Or to Make them only able to use a certain type of mod? And if not, how many people would be up for a server following these rules based on trust? *cough*forsakengetinonthis*cough*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: October 14, 2013, 02:49:46 am »

We could have such a conflict with some of the current magic mods. Wizards (Thaumcraft) Vs. Sorcerers (Ars Magica) Vs. Cultists (Blood magic + Witchery) Vs. Muggles (Tinkerers Construct + Industrial Craft)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: October 14, 2013, 05:21:46 am »

We could have such a conflict with some of the current magic mods. Wizards (Thaumcraft) Vs. Sorcerers (Ars Magica) Vs. Cultists (Blood magic + Witchery) Vs. Muggles (Tinkerers Construct + Industrial Craft)
Once the Necromancer mod updates it's API to match ThaumCraft, we could throw Necromancers into that conflict.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: October 14, 2013, 05:41:45 am »

They may or may not need other mods for balance. Necromancy alone doesn't seem very diverse. Might work as a third Cultist class, but with Witchery they are already looking like a pretty decent force of stealth warfare.

Actually I'm thinking IC might be a little over powered. None of the other classes actually have really super unstoppable armor, while even nano armor is getting into the OP side. Perhaps replace it with Metallurgy + Extra TiC? I know some don't like metallurgy but I have yet to hear a valid reason why. It would give Muggles the strongest weapons from TiC and strongest armor from Metallurgy, but that would be it. No automated golem farms, or ability to teleport anywhere, or summon a storm of hell creatures. Just man and metal, so it makes sense that they get the best damn metals! And it would play more into a fantasy theme.

Also it would be pretty much vital to limit the Ars Magica users to a primary school, with limited of about 4 levels in other classes. There is a config option for this, so it would be easyto do. AM is looking like the most powerful right now, but it has a leach.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: October 14, 2013, 06:54:21 am »

You'd need IC. JUST TCon, no matter with how nice metals would lose so hard. For one thing, they'd get raped on sight by Ars, and they'd be unable to do ANYTHING to Thaumaturges. If you're going to do a tech class, it has to have something damn nice to compete with the custom opness that Ars gets and wands of fuckyou that TC4 has. Ars is stronger as far as raw magic goes, but TC4 has delicious automation and mass mining.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: October 14, 2013, 07:14:24 am »

How useful can vanilla invisibility potion (and other vanilla potions) + enchanted diamond sword be in such themed PVP setting?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: October 14, 2013, 07:21:17 am »

You'd need IC. JUST TCon, no matter with how nice metals would lose so hard. For one thing, they'd get raped on sight by Ars, and they'd be unable to do ANYTHING to Thaumaturges. If you're going to do a tech class, it has to have something damn nice to compete with the custom opness that Ars gets and wands of fuckyou that TC4 has. Ars is stronger as far as raw magic goes, but TC4 has delicious automation and mass mining.

TC wands don't do knockback, do they? Yea, they can be brutal, but with pretty poor armor choices and the inability to keep melee away from them thaumaturges become glass cannons. Quantium + Nano saber is pretty much unbeatable. True TC gets a degree of automation, but they are the only class that does and suffers from other setbacks like inability to share research, meaning all the ore in the world won't help you if nobody is online at the time to give you what you need.
Ars Magica is tough to overcome, but like I said there is a config option to lock people into a single skill tree, limiting what spell options they would have. There is also an option to increase or decrease the base damage of all AM spells, so if they are too good it is easy to tone them down.

I feel this would work best if your class was assigned randomly between what ever teams had the lowest numbers, keeping the size even.

How useful can vanilla invisibility potion (and other vanilla potions) + enchanted diamond sword be in such themed PVP setting?
Depends on what they are against. Even while invisible you can see their sword and attack at that. Some people would have access to very unique ways to kill you without having to even see you (Seriously, Vampiric poppets are terrifying), might be able to just teleport away. Might be able to just tank it out even.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:29 am »

You could make use of the Falling Meteors mod and have only the Tinkers Construct faction use that.
That could give them a chance against the magic-user factions.

Meteors Fall to the ground and explode, forming craters that house various minerals from space.
New Tools that give different properties: Magnetization, slowing enemies, burning enemies, mining underwater faster, etc.
New Armor Sets that give you different abilities: Magnetization, walking on water, immunity to fire, etc.
Mine all the minerals from the craters as quick as possible because the debris from the crash will cool, giving less minerals
Protect your precious creations with Meteor Shields that can be fully upgraded to protect a huge area of land.
Varying sizes and types of Meteors
Craft Detectors to find out WHERE a meteor is going to land
Craft a Meteor Timer to determine WHEN a meteor is going to land
Summon meteors down onto your friends with Meteor Summoners
Configure the mod to your liking with many configuration options

Might seem a bit OP tough.
Altough some meteors..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taking advantage of rocks from space does seem very muggle-y.

From my experience with that mod, is that they fall during night and always near loaded chunks.
So it's rather random of when, where and what type of meteor falls.
I once lost a house to one of these things. :p
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:51:36 am by Ultimuh »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: October 14, 2013, 07:52:55 am »

The TC4 ice wand has huge knockback and the rod of 9 hells is its own kind of knockback.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:48 pm »

You can say that the IC late tech is much more powerful, but think of the facilities needed to maintain it. Sabotage a nuclear reactor anyone?

Not to mention that thaumcraft allows for indestructible personal blocks. Cutting them in half doesn't mean much if they spawn protected with backup items.

And I don't think the teams should be kept even. Obviously all these mods were not built to be balanced with each other. For example, if we end up with a massive number of people, we might want to do an "all vanilla" team, which will obviously require more people since they are missing out on all the powerful stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4469 on: October 14, 2013, 04:12:34 pm »

I think it'd be more fun to just have two teams and go with all magic-ish mods. The tech and magic mods really don't balance well against each other, and someone in quantum armor is going to ignore and/or outrun you generally.

As for security, they could just use a MFFS security station to keep you away from their nuke reactor. Which can kill you in one tick AND steal all your items.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 326