Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976107 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4080 on: June 07, 2013, 04:02:34 pm »

Hm.. that might be handy. And the person just loads the technic launcher and picks it from a list or..?

They browse for the modpack on the Technic site, then they input a link given to them on the modpack page into a dialog in the launcher and it downloads and installs for them. Literally copy/paste levels of difficulty.

FTB is shit.
Apparently, making your own modpacks is, but if you use the modpacks that come with it, it's simple, really.

No, even if you use the pre-made modpacks like FTB Ultimate it's still crap. They're basically a bunch of mods thrown together with no rhyme or reason, plus you've got GregTech making things needlessly tedious because tedium. It's so "hardcore" that the literally best power suit mod available often gets disabled because it's about ten times easier to get (as well as more fun to use and better-looking) than Quantum or Gravi armor.

Plus, it's also woefully out of date both in terms of Minecraft itself and the mods within - for example, there's a bug in Factorization that makes the Minium Stone in EE3 not work properly - you can't turn diamonds into gold or gold into iron - that is fixed in the most recent releases.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: June 07, 2013, 04:04:26 pm »

FTB is handy if you want to run a public server and want lots of strangers joining, because a lot probably already have or know how to install FTB, compared to giving people instructions and a list of whatever mods you're using...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: June 07, 2013, 04:05:25 pm »

But Technic are evil and feed puppies to the dark lord Santa every Notchoween.
Plus they called you fat, collectively.
*Hugs*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: June 07, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »

Eh, I've been having fun with my personal FTB server. Takes a little bit of config file tweaking to get how I like it, but once that's done it works pretty well.

I'd never call it the end-all-be-all of modpacks, but I haven't had any issues with it and it does provide a lot of flexibility and a good range of mods for people. Plus, it's relatively easy for my non tech-savvy friends to install and use.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: June 07, 2013, 04:21:04 pm »

First thing to do always when installing FTB server: take the ExtraBiomes config from the client and copy it over the servers, they had the good sense to disable all the 1000 nearly identical crap snow biomes. And the awful "Marsh" or wossname.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4085 on: June 07, 2013, 10:13:49 pm »

FTB is handy if you want to run a public server and want lots of strangers joining, because a lot probably already have or know how to install FTB, compared to giving people instructions and a list of whatever mods you're using...

Technic Platform packs are even easier to use, it's literally copy/paste a link.

A) Gregtech can, IIRC, be disabled fairly easily.
B) As opposed to most modpacks, which are thrown together with reason? The only ones I've come across that are put together with reason are ampz, voltz and Forsaken's magic-based packs.

A) If GregTech is disabled FTB is all right, I guess, but most FTB servers have it enabled because tedium is so :hardcore:.
B) Most modpacks I've come across on the Technic Platform at least have a theme, EG Tekkit is technology and exploring, Big Dig is mining and shit.

And many modpack-using servers ban items because they are OP for their cost, or can cause too much damage too easily.
I don't have an issue with that, I have an issue with GregTech making the armor it introduces and the armor in IC2 more expensive and difficult to get than Modular Power Suits are - and thus, MPS gets disabled completely because it's OP in comparison to the components of a mod that goes out of its way to make things less fun.

Quite a few modpacks pull this. Most people are naturally lazy.

It's just a reason to not play FTB - there's a lot of great stuff in mods made for 1.5.1 that you can't do in FTB 'cause they're stuck on 1.4.7.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: June 07, 2013, 11:00:35 pm »

For the record Gregtech doesn't introduce any armor other than an invis item. Gravichest is from gravisuite.

That said, the reason most FTB Ultimate servers run Gregtech is because Gregtech is enabled by default and part of the goal of a modpack is having it there without having to modify it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4087 on: June 07, 2013, 11:11:34 pm »

and tbh gregtech isn't all THAT hard. I ran up the entire gregtech tree in singleplayer in just about 10 hours of play time.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: June 08, 2013, 12:05:24 am »

The problem is that gregtech fucks with other mods. That's just wrong.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: June 08, 2013, 02:07:28 am »

I really don't use modpacks. I see how they can be useful and all, but I like installing mods individually. Also, I generally stay away from mods that add a lot of different power sources (buildcraft, IC2 et cetera) and preffer to stay with Universal Electricity. I do like and use Bibliocraft and Computercraft, I think those are pretty neat.

When I think about it, the only modpack that wasn't a massive clusterfuck of neat mods which I checked out was Voltz, and I really liked it. Grew bored of it eventually (sadly, the DEFCON-ish server I was playing on got a bad case of the Red Matter Plague and was shut down.) and now I stick with Bibliocraft, Computercraft and Natura (not a big fan of Forestry).

edit: and Tinkers Construct, I almost forgot that one.  :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:09:18 am by Krevsin »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: June 08, 2013, 04:26:53 am »

Eh, Universal Electricity kind of removes the bother of having multiple power sources, my entire base is run off of a combination of Buildcraft engines and Minefactory Reloaded reactors feeding into Universal Cables.
*Hugs*

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: June 08, 2013, 04:42:12 am »

and tbh gregtech isn't all THAT hard. I ran up the entire gregtech tree in singleplayer in just about 10 hours of play time.

So you basically need to play for 10 hours to do stuff you normally could of in a minute?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4092 on: June 08, 2013, 04:43:49 am »

I liked GregTech for the rock cutter, that was about it really. I like being able to choose which tech tree to advance in, but GregTech forces you to go IC if you want to do mostly anything else.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: June 08, 2013, 05:10:34 am »

After playing FTB without Gregtech, I found that it made things more tedious, yes, but it ended up making it take a bit more work to get to what I wanted, as well as providing upgrades to the default IC2 machinery that end up more efficient.

It's a matter of being time and resource intensive for what it gives, and making it difficult to get certain things that end up being the end-all endgame items (IE: Quarry, among other things). Why bother playing for endgame when your first 13 diamonds are going to likely end up just being an overly easy diamond drill, which will end up massacring the land with 64x64 holes down to bedrock? I like the challenge and added niceties it gives later, to be perfectly honest. Though I'll admit, I really hated it at first, but there are ways around the blockades that it tends to bring about. In a way, it seems to add a bit of a tech tree to an otherwise crazy advantage that vanilla IC2 would give with the other mods that depend on it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:15:36 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4094 on: June 08, 2013, 06:48:57 am »

The problem is that gregtech fucks with other mods. That's just wrong.
And you can turn almost all of its 'other mod' recipes off if you like.

So you basically need to play for 10 hours to do stuff you normally could of in a minute?
Er.. yes? That is part of the point of having gregtech. To make the game harder for yourself. I have done the IC tech tree so many times its not terribly interesting to me, but the gregtech machines add many new challenges and requirements. It also adds new machines and things you cannot do without gregtech, so its not just 'increased difficulty'.

Really though, I don't understand the objection here. If you don't like gregtech, simply don't use it. There's no need to bitch about other people having fun with it when nobody is forcing you to play with the mod.

Gregtech stretches IC and other mods out so that their tech progression is more time intensive and makes more sense. It never felt right to me to be able to construct a frame mining machine within the first 2 hours of play (and yes, I have done this) and then have unlimited resources. With gregtech, even the RP2 blockbreaker is expensive. And it should be! It's an unlimited use tool which can instantly break any block for you, which completely breaks the game's dynamic of using time and resources to acquire resources.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 326