Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975957 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4020 on: May 08, 2013, 07:05:41 pm »

Eh, I'll just add it manually client side and get most of the benefits as others have said.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: May 08, 2013, 08:37:48 pm »

Urg, no easy craft either. That's a good bit of a dealbreaker for me.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: May 09, 2013, 08:43:59 pm »

@Sergius
And that is a normal evolution of our MC servers over here. I will state the obvious: MC is a sandbox game, and the longevity of a server depends entirely on the objectives players are following. As soon as those are fulfilled players tend to leave the servers, and it is normal.

So, if we want the future server to thrive for a long time we should try to find some community-based objectives. I can RP the mayor of a Dwarf Fortress if you want me to, with a lot of mandates. :P

You misunderstand. It is perfectly possible to make a community area, even if everyone wants to do their own thing. Some people would hang around for a while making a nice place for everyone.

The "Throne Room" project killed the server. It made everyone do pointless carving of a non-functional area, instead of focusing in their own living quarters, huts, whatever or having a place to do proper crafting.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: May 09, 2013, 10:58:13 pm »

Been looking through industrial craft, and it looks awesome. Anyone knows how far along the version for 1.5 is?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:30 am »

@Sergius
And that is a normal evolution of our MC servers over here. I will state the obvious: MC is a sandbox game, and the longevity of a server depends entirely on the objectives players are following. As soon as those are fulfilled players tend to leave the servers, and it is normal.

So, if we want the future server to thrive for a long time we should try to find some community-based objectives. I can RP the mayor of a Dwarf Fortress if you want me to, with a lot of mandates. :P

You misunderstand. It is perfectly possible to make a community area, even if everyone wants to do their own thing. Some people would hang around for a while making a nice place for everyone.

The "Throne Room" project killed the server. It made everyone do pointless carving of a non-functional area, instead of focusing in their own living quarters, huts, whatever or having a place to do proper crafting.

That's semi-true. On one hand, pointless carving of a non-functional area. On the other, people just decided to fuck it and go make themselves a base of their own further than a day of marching away (what is the purpose of setting off on your own on an SMP server anyway?).

I think the thing that would keep us together without boring people away wold be to drastically increase mob spawns to very very high levels. Make us perpetually under siege, with the couple of daylight hours providing some time to gather resources, but when the darkness falls, if you are away from the safety of the community you are screwed. Think Embark in an Evil Savage biome, sans revival of bodyparts.

The only actual community project that would have to be done, although in everyone's self-interest, would be erecting and expanding the walls around the fortress to keep the nasties away. It may be out in the open or underground (with the latter being more impractical, although/therefore dorfier), it does not matter.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: May 10, 2013, 06:36:12 am »

what is the purpose of setting off on your own on an SMP server anyway?
In many high-tech mods you won't get anywhere unless you leave your world running day and night, and it's easier to do that on a server than on your own computer.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: May 10, 2013, 06:49:49 am »

In many high-tech mods you won't get anywhere unless you leave your world running day and night, and it's easier to do that on a server than on your own computer.

Then download Minecraft Server, run it, run Minecraft and connect to localhost in place of the IP. You will achieve the same result. Or use /time add [insert a couple thousands here]. Using someone else's computing power and time (for server maintenance) to let you play what is essentially SSP is cheap.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: May 10, 2013, 07:04:15 am »

Then download Minecraft Server, run it, run Minecraft and connect to localhost in place of the IP. You will achieve the same result. Or use /time add [insert a couple thousands here]. Using someone else's computing power and time (for server maintenance) to let you play what is essentially SSP is cheap.
First, /time doesn't really work like that, and second, people's computers are generally not always switched on, and third, SMP gives a sense of community that can't be reproduced on SSP, whether you're playing hermit or not.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4028 on: May 10, 2013, 07:05:38 am »

First, /time doesn't really work like that, and second, people's computers are generally not always switched on, and third, SMP gives a sense of community that can't be reproduced on SSP, whether you're playing hermit or not.
Fourth: Minecraft doesn't leave chunks loaded normally if nobody is around, and many servers disable or restrict chunk loading blocks because it is a huge server drain.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: May 10, 2013, 07:22:16 am »

Well, what is the waiting for in the cases you mention? In a mod I used, /time took care of the waiting time. Do you mean things like auto-mining machinery?

@People's computers not always being on: you need to have an always-on computer, the question is, is it yours or someone else's computer that is left running, and whose power is being consumed for that.

@Sense of community: OK, if you say so. If it does that for you, I can understand that, although it does not work like that for me. I need physical (well, virtual-physical) or at least noticeable presence of other players (this is, see them affecting the surroundings).

Fourth: Minecraft doesn't leave chunks loaded normally if nobody is around, and many servers disable or restrict chunk loading blocks because it is a huge server drain.

Wouldn't that be an argument against being a hermit? If you set off on your own to a distant land, when you log off the chunk is not loaded, so there's no difference. Or am I misunderstanding the way it works?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4030 on: May 10, 2013, 07:23:40 am »

You understand correctly, I just probably wasn't clear with my point. :P

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4031 on: May 10, 2013, 07:29:21 am »

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: May 10, 2013, 07:36:57 am »

Well, what is the waiting for in the cases you mention? In a mod I used, /time took care of the waiting time. Do you mean things like auto-mining machinery?
I mean all mods that work based on ticks, not on daytime (which is almost all of them, even vanilla furnaces).

@People's computers not always being on: you need to have an always-on computer, the question is, is it yours or someone else's computer that is left running, and whose power is being consumed for that.
I have a laptop which I need to carry around to university and back. If it was always running, the battery would be empty in no time at all. Also, I'd rather prefer to have some spare processing power for any other things I tend to like to do (for example any other games).
@Sense of community: OK, if you say so. If it does that for you, I can understand that, although it does not work like that for me. I need physical (well, virtual-physical) or at least noticeable presence of other players (this is, see them affecting the surroundings).
I don't like being a hermit either, but I tend to take over development of any community tech projects, so I end up being the only one who knows what's going on there, and everyone else leaves.  :'(

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: May 10, 2013, 07:46:28 am »

I mean all mods that work based on ticks, not on daytime (which is almost all of them, even vanilla furnaces).

I have a laptop which I need to carry around to university and back. If it was always running, the battery would be empty in no time at all. Also, I'd rather prefer to have some spare processing power for any other things I tend to like to do (for example any other games).
I don't like being a hermit either, but I tend to take over development of any community tech projects, so I end up being the only one who knows what's going on there, and everyone else leaves.  :'(

@Daytime vs. Ticks - I was under the impression that /time add simulates the ticks for all abstract objects (i.e. furnaces and the such), while /time set just sets the time of the day. Will probably test it.

@Laptop - Fair point.

And now for something completely different, any news on the server? Is there a possibility of it being up in foreseeable future?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4034 on: May 10, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »

Oh god I laughed... if only because mystcraft did that exact same thing to me in 1.4.5
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 326