Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975794 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3930 on: April 16, 2013, 07:12:02 pm »

Doesn't this waste/use a silly amount of blutricity due to the motor losing all of its charge each time you break it?

What?  No!  You never break the motor.  You deploy and break a single frame, that the motor pushes against.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3931 on: April 16, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »

Happy shipbuilding, dragonshardz!

Thanks, this is more than enough to get me started.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: April 16, 2013, 08:04:25 pm »

Did they fix those FORTH words that didn't do what they were supposed to?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: April 17, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »

Doesn't this waste/use a silly amount of blutricity due to the motor losing all of its charge each time you break it?

What?  No!  You never break the motor.  You deploy and break a single frame, that the motor pushes against.
That shouldn't really work. You can't make a motor move itself, so if you only ever use one motor, that motor eventually gets left behind.

The toggle between infix-notation compile and postfix-notation execute trips me up, the little fact that parameters are on a different stack than return addresses (except when they're not!) messes with my mind, even stuff like IF and THEN being postfix but ELSE being infix...
Maybe you can't write Forth because you think all those things. Infix notation? Return stack? That stuff isn't even necessary to do something in Forth.
The if/else/then is insanely simple too. The IF pops a value and jumps to after ELSE if the value is zero (or to THEN if ELSE doesn't appear). The ELSE jumps to after THEN. The THEN does nothing.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: April 17, 2013, 01:08:21 pm »

That shouldn't really work. You can't make a motor move itself, so if you only ever use one motor, that motor eventually gets left behind.

Damnit.  That is how motors work, now that I think about it.

I thought I had this working.  I guess I should downgrade a copy of Minecraft, fire up my RP2 world, and see what I did.  Maybe I'm just wrong here.

Quote from: MagmaMcFry
The toggle between infix-notation compile and postfix-notation execute trips me up, the little fact that parameters are on a different stack than return addresses (except when they're not!) messes with my mind, even stuff like IF and THEN being postfix but ELSE being infix...
Maybe you can't write Forth because you think all those things. Infix notation? Return stack? That stuff isn't even necessary to do something in Forth.
The if/else/then is insanely simple too. The IF pops a value and jumps to after ELSE if the value is zero (or to THEN if ELSE doesn't appear). The ELSE jumps to after THEN. The THEN does nothing.

I know how the IF/ELSE/THEN keywords work.  As far as the textbook goes, the abstract definition.  The problem is, I have to think about what they're going to do, how they're going to affect the rest of the operators every time I encounter them, whether I'm reading or writing code.  Which takes me a couple of seconds of mental effort, and becomes another fact I have to remember about the chunk of code I'm analyzing.

The whole language is full of these issues.  It is not insanely simple.  Not to me.

As for parameter stack vs. return stack, I'm just used to the paradigm where a function is passed some parameters, and consumes them, and maybe returns something.  I can visualize that effortlessly.  I can't do that with FORTH's model.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: April 17, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »

Quote from: MagmaMcFry

I know how the IF/ELSE/THEN keywords work.  As far as the textbook goes, the abstract definition.  The problem is, I have to think about what they're going to do, how they're going to affect the rest of the operators every time I encounter them, whether I'm reading or writing code.  Which takes me a couple of seconds of mental effort, and becomes another fact I have to remember about the chunk of code I'm analyzing.

The whole language is full of these issues.  It is not insanely simple.  Not to me.

As for parameter stack vs. return stack, I'm just used to the paradigm where a function is passed some parameters, and consumes them, and maybe returns something.  I can visualize that effortlessly.  I can't do that with FORTH's model.
Maybe you aren't thinking about Forth in the right way?
Spoiler: *barfs lesson* (click to show/hide)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: April 17, 2013, 03:35:16 pm »

Maybe you aren't thinking about Forth in the right way?

[TL;DR]

Yeah, whatever.

Listen, I have a copy of Brodie's Starting FORTH.  I've read it twice at least, worked through the exercises.  I have the docs for polyFORTH, which I've read in part and skimmed the rest.  I have some other random stuff, like FIG-FORTH for Apple ][.

I've been there, done that.

It didn't work out.

I'm not going to make the effort again.

So evangelize at someone else, okay?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: April 17, 2013, 03:58:18 pm »

So evangelize at someone else, okay?
This is why I made the effort to write up all of that, and also why I posted it here instead of in the programming thread: so all those other people in this thread can finally do something with the 63EL08.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: April 17, 2013, 04:04:26 pm »

I'm staying out of the FORTH discussion, I said my piece and I agree with whoever said to move to the coding/programming thread.
For whoever asked for a BASIC boot disk, http://ibm5100.net/redpower/basic/

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: April 17, 2013, 04:30:49 pm »

I'm staying out of the FORTH discussion, I said my piece and I agree with whoever said to move to the coding/programming thread.
For whoever asked for a BASIC boot disk, http://ibm5100.net/redpower/basic/

That was me who asked.  Thank you.

Edit: the technique I had described for getting around inchworm mechanisms doesn't work.  I looked at at the quarry machine I had semi-working in my RP2 world, and it was basically extending/retracting a gantry from a fixed point.  I was doing 'arbitrary' movement by manually placing a motor to push the whole machine, which is not what you want for a craft.  I've edited my original post.  Sorry to mislead anyone.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:01:42 pm by 0x517A5D »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: April 17, 2013, 06:09:30 pm »

The trick is managing to convince a server admin to upload your BASIC image, heh.

I think someone even managed to make a C compiler for the 65EL02 (what's a 63EL08?), but you end up with a binary every time so it's pretty much impossible to copy to a SMP server without file access...

Obviously it's fine for single player.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3941 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:02 pm »

So is it weird that I learned FORTH by watching two 20 minute youtube videos of someone playing minecraft then reading a short document? I make all of my frame machines with the RP computers and its really pretty easy.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: April 18, 2013, 05:01:22 am »

So is it weird that I learned FORTH by watching two 20 minute youtube videos of someone playing minecraft then reading a short document? I make all of my frame machines with the RP computers and its really pretty easy.

I have not touched logic circuit(outside of simple timers) since I started using RP computers.
FORTH does take a bit of getting used to, but that's mostly the reverse polish notation.
It actually helps a lot if you think about it as an MTG stack.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: April 18, 2013, 05:47:09 am »

Wouldnt it be possible to make a FORTH program that overwrites part of a sector on a disk?
I mean, it should be possible to push machine code into a place in memory, kinda making an assembler thingie.
Just place some code in the boot sector of the disk so it jumps to the assembled code or some shit.
Should very well be possible.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: April 18, 2013, 09:32:32 am »

I have not touched logic circuit(outside of simple timers) since I started using RP computers.
FORTH does take a bit of getting used to, but that's mostly the reverse polish notation.
It actually helps a lot if you think about it as an MTG stack.
Thank. You.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 326