Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975291 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3675 on: February 13, 2013, 02:18:47 pm »

there were some issues when eeloram took control of the Forge API by bitching and moaning and turning it toward supporting her mods no matter what.

At least railcraft and better than wolves modders have horror stories to tell about that.

then the idiot people just propagated the tamtam without knowing the issue.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:50 pm »

The entire reason BTW isn't forge anymore is because Eloderp decided forge should be renamed to "eloraam and some other guys too"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3677 on: February 13, 2013, 02:56:37 pm »

The entire reason BTW isn't forge anymore is because Eloderp decided forge should be renamed to "eloraam and some other guys too"
What are you talking about?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: February 13, 2013, 02:59:46 pm »

BTW was forge. Eloraam changed things. He didn't like that. Now it's not forge.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3679 on: February 13, 2013, 03:01:28 pm »

BTW was forge. Eloraam changed things. He didn't like that. Now it's not forge.
What did she change?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3680 on: February 13, 2013, 03:02:50 pm »

She added some hooks for Redpower.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3681 on: February 13, 2013, 03:08:00 pm »

She added some hooks for Redpower.
and? Adding some hooks doesn't hurt anyone else's mods.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3682 on: February 13, 2013, 03:09:28 pm »

I am not suggesting that Flowerchild is a rational adult. Or an adult at all, really.

To be fair though, I think it was the sort of stuff that would be added to one's own API, not the community API. But I'm not an expert on the subject, and really don't have much information related to it.
Still doesn't excuse FC's attitude tho/
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3683 on: February 13, 2013, 03:13:19 pm »

frostshotgg was talking like elo took over the whole project and was actively blocking other mod's development. Adding hooks doesn't do anything really. The hooks are there for other modders to use or not use.

I don't understand what she did that has frostshotgg and LoSboccacc saying she 'took over'.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: February 13, 2013, 03:53:30 pm »

No, I was speaking facetiously from flowerchild's point of view. He had like a half hour rant that's posted right at the top of his (minecraft forums) thread.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: February 13, 2013, 03:59:23 pm »

[Warning: cursing, hyperbole, and over-generalizations.  Also, I was not closely involved in any of the mess, I viewed it from the outside.]

Eloraam stepped up to the plate.  She brought some organization to the project.  And she contributed a bunch of code to it.

A project like Forge needs direction, it needs a lead developer.  Guidance-by-committee seldom works well.

I imagine that's doubly true for infrastructure toolsets.  Forge doesn't make pretty pictures or fun gameplay by itself, it just enables the pretty and fun for the coders who use it.

Egos got butt-hurt?  So the fuck what?

Don't like Forge's current path?  Extend it in the direction you like.  I expect Eloraam's reasonable about such things, especially if you have working code ready to merge in.  And she's not the sole gatekeeper either, if you feel she's unfair, take it to the rest of the team.

If I'm wrong?  If they really can't get along with Eloraam?  If they want' nothing to do with her?  Branch the fuckin' code, compete, and let the market decide.  Do it better and show us, goddamnit!

But people whinging about Eloraam when they've contributed 0 to 99 lines of code to Forge?  Fuck `em.  Ignore them completely.

Why is this a thing?  It should not even be an issue.

Goddamn Flowerchild.  Ego ego ego.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3686 on: February 13, 2013, 04:02:59 pm »

amen. There is no reason at all to complain about the direction of an open source project. If you don't like its direction, fork it and change it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3687 on: February 13, 2013, 04:07:52 pm »

amen. There is no reason at all to complain about the direction of an open source project. If you don't like its direction, fork it and change it.
Unless it's as complex as DF. In which case, forking it is just plain impossible. The code would probably drive you insane trying to reverse-engineer it.
DF also isn't open source.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: February 13, 2013, 04:13:59 pm »

<...>
Don't like Forge's current path?  Extend it in the direction you like.  I expect Eloraam's reasonable about such things, especially if you have working code ready to merge in.  And she's not the sole gatekeeper either, if you feel she's unfair, take it to the rest of the team.

If I'm wrong?  If they really can't get along with Eloraam?  If they want' nothing to do with her?  Branch the fuckin' code, compete, and let the market decide.  Do it better and show us, goddamnit!
<...>
You know that this can't happen. There could only be one version of forge. Any other would be incompatible and cause more confusion than any good.

Btw currently mainly cpw is working on forge.

As for flowerchild: i really would like for him to be more "friendly" with those guys, but i know how this type of people work. Also he did try to return back to forge, but something (did not catch what) made him angry once again....

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3689 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:44 pm »

but something (did not catch what) made him angry once again....
Probably someone was nice to him and he got angry. It doesn't take much apparently
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 326