Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975117 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3540 on: December 28, 2012, 05:37:24 pm »

So...
The Current Tekkit pack. Worth it or better to build myself one?
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: December 28, 2012, 06:10:16 pm »

Use FTB, build it yourself, or use the Forsaken pack. Technic/Tekkit are pretty much universally out of date at all times.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3542 on: December 28, 2012, 06:17:12 pm »

Not if you use the dev builds.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: December 29, 2012, 12:21:12 am »

Has anyone been able to figure out the Flan's Teams menu? I've hack and slashed through most of it, but it doesn't accept any team names I throw at it. Anyone got a clue?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: December 31, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »

[MINI-RANT]
Man, I like the idea of better minecarts -- RailCraft and/or TrainCraft,

but I just cannot get used to the appearance of single-block curves and inclines.  I guess it's tolerable for minecarts, but just not for trains.  Is anybody even working on smooth multi-tile curves or inclines?

Maybe I should attempt it, but I've never even touch Java language before, so a modding project is a huge hurdle to jump.
[/MINI-RANT]

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: December 31, 2012, 01:26:44 pm »

Same for me, though that can be sort-of fixed with 45 degree angle...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3546 on: December 31, 2012, 01:50:46 pm »

The way I would implement it is that tracks no longer change their orientation themselves when placed. Instead you craft a rail by itself and it turns into different angles. Also though it would probably be harder to do I would make it so that you could no longer go full speed through sharp turns, instead you would have to make it more gradual. Going through what is basically a sharp 90 degree turn at full speed, especially if you can make more realistic ones is just silly. Maybe just damage the player some if they do, after all, the gforce must be something silly for how fast the carts can go.

Edit: oh and this would fix the problem with how getting tracks to turn certain ways which is currently impossible with the auto adjust they do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:52:43 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3547 on: December 31, 2012, 02:01:58 pm »

The way I would implement it is that tracks no longer change their orientation themselves when placed. Instead you craft a rail by itself and it turns into different angles. Also though it would probably be harder to do I would make it so that you could no longer go full speed through sharp turns, instead you would have to make it more gradual. Going through what is basically a sharp 90 degree turn at full speed, especially if you can make more realistic ones is just silly. Maybe just damage the player some if they do, after all, the gforce must be something silly for how fast the carts can go.

Edit: oh and this would fix the problem with how getting tracks to turn certain ways which is currently impossible with the auto adjust they do.
I'm pretty sure railcraft has H.S. rails, which will cause you to essentially combust violently when you go a sharp corner, crash, or derail.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: December 31, 2012, 02:15:32 pm »

The problem is that HS rails are crap that don't behave consistently.

Minecraft is a weird environment for good-looking rail behavior. With everything snapping to 1x1x1 meter blocks you are forced to take at least 45 degree angles for any sort of directional changes. It works great for the little minecarts we have because they are rickety minecarts and you can accept how jumpy it looks. Any other kind of cart carries the expectation of not being jumpy.

Better rails would need to use angles smaller than 45 degree angles, and you would need weird tracks that take up a large footprint to create smaller angled tracks. Then you could boost the speed up a lot and have it look decent.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3549 on: December 31, 2012, 02:56:06 pm »

I was thinking of just having generic # angle track that when placed will connect to adjacent tracks in a way that seams right. It would be hard to make that work if you want to join tracks but I think to have an intersection you would want a special track piece anyway. The biggest problem I could see is you would need a lot of textures. Many many textures for all the different partial tracks and such that you would need. The snapping to 1x1x1 meter blocks thing should be fixable as players don't and a cart not on tracks doesn't.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3550 on: December 31, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »

I was thinking of just having generic # angle track that when placed will connect to adjacent tracks in a way that seams right. It would be hard to make that work if you want to join tracks but I think to have an intersection you would want a special track piece anyway. The biggest problem I could see is you would need a lot of textures. Many many textures for all the different partial tracks and such that you would need. The snapping to 1x1x1 meter blocks thing should be fixable as players don't and a cart not on tracks doesn't.
The issue comes in when tracks themselves are supposed to do that, and the only way to properly resolve it is to allow the tracks to take up a much larger width of block occupation to make a gently nudged away from NESW  directions. Which means even more more track IDs, and if the maker is dedicated enough, an entire new set of sprites for each incremental change in track curve to allow intersections and all of those other complex tracks. Times two for each "track" that would take up two blocks if they weren't going NSEW directions. This will result in tremendous block ID allocation, running through hoops in block damage ID, or doing something like Eloraam did and make a more dynamic miracle.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: December 31, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »

In retrospect large track plates would be sorta possible. Just a flat 5x5 multi block structure that takes carts from one corner to the other in a curve that could be rotated. It would basically be like toy railroad pieces so we already have a working model for it people can relate to. Another possibility is a weird monorail thing where you place two blocks and the mod auto-builds a visual rail between them like the Buildcraft landmark lasers that carts would slide along.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: December 31, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

Or you just make a "track bed" thing and add visible "paths" on top of them, with the beds combining together.
The image could be runtime-generated.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3553 on: December 31, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »

In retrospect large track plates would be sorta possible. Just a flat 5x5 multi block structure that takes carts from one corner to the other in a curve that could be rotated. It would basically be like toy railroad pieces so we already have a working model for it people can relate to. Another possibility is a weird monorail thing where you place two blocks and the mod auto-builds a visual rail between them like the Buildcraft landmark lasers that carts would slide along.
   I like this idea. Especially since you could limit it to only having turns of certain types to begin with and slowly expand it as you go. It would let you start small and work your way up rather then trying to do it all at once.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: December 31, 2012, 03:38:27 pm »

A special kind of track that works sort of like a recipe... make a grid of either 3x3 or 5x5 (or 3x5) "bed" and "rail" tiles, and depending on the shape, you get different curves (only 3 or 4 possibilities tho, not anything you want. Like, a curve or a straight corner-to-corner line, or even an S shape.).
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 326