Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 974879 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3450 on: December 11, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »

Though the epeen is nice :P
Wanna touch it?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3451 on: December 11, 2012, 06:29:47 pm »

I'm hiding all of my mod links behind 40 adfly screens now.
I'll make literally several dollars over the lifespan of it
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:27 pm »

Though the epeen is nice :P
Wanna touch it?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeww

Thats not what i thought with you being a defense consultant.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3453 on: December 11, 2012, 07:22:38 pm »

Pff. Nobody wants to touch my E-Peen.

It's not my fault it goes inside me when I stand up! ;-;
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3454 on: December 11, 2012, 07:33:30 pm »

Pff. Nobody wants to touch my E-Peen.

It's not my fault it goes inside me when I stand up! ;-;
This thread went to a weird place.

I like it

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: December 11, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »

I don't much care for fc, but this whole hissy fit brings up a point. What would happen if someone did this to someone else like Elo, Sengir, or the author of another big mod? Yeah, there would be mass witch hunts and that person would likely be banned from every Minecraft forum out there.

Why, then, is it acceptable to make a derivative of BTW? Just because you don't like the guy and what he's done, is that it? I can tell you now that nothing bad will happen to the modder in question. None of the forums that would ban the former will ban the latter.
Actually, I see no problem with either one. As long as no code from the original is being made? It is, at worst, a bit of a jerk move. It's like claiming that people should get up in arms about a new fast food chain opening up, because they're ripping off all the old ones! Or a furniture company suing someone else for making a chair in the same style as them! Both are patently ridiculous, but when it comes to software... Well, people go crazy.

You don't want someone copying your mod? Then make it better than them. Make sure the no name-brand ripoff is actually WORSE. If you can't make the better product, you don't get the customers. That's how these things work. Were someone to make a copy of BTW that was also not forge-compatible, I doubt it would gain much popularity. Because BTW is established, has plenty of fans, a name, all that jazz. If BWF manages to replace it, it will be because the compatibility bonuses make the mod flat out better.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: December 11, 2012, 08:03:33 pm »

Cool!
I am so using this, and maybe even making an Adblock exception for them (unless they use adf.ly), simply because:
1: FC has, as a person, no notable redeeming values and
2: It will integrate some features (mechanical power? DO WANT!) previously suppressed in MC modding due to 'Mod Sovreignty' (Something that, purely for precedent's sake, MUST be violated at every possible turn for the community to survive. It's like infinite-duration, no-rules free patents as it is.)

Still, FC's ravings are the kind that makes me feel physically ill. My muscles clench up and my eyeballs itch just reading it. All I can think when I see such malice and stupidity out in the world being taken seriously as a person while trashing people infinitely better than them is "NO! BAD! BASH HEAD WITH CLUE-BAT! KIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLL!!!!!"
I'm just sensitive to... not really 'troll' or 'stupid', but 'wilfuly stupid, misleading, and destructive' comes close. It makes me react like a physical combatant showed up. All twitchy and nervous and bad.
Like the "TechniC Es illegAl, iJnore teH 68 pepple who gave ebIdence ODDawize, just azk (modder name here)!  C? I no theseee things! (name) is a lyiing pirate!" people.
In fact, that's exactly what its like. And I can't try to reassure myself he (she?)'s probably stupid, because this one can program at least a little. This one's DANGEROUS, and not just through misinforming newbies.

Also Dragnar: Exactly. Modders have NO rights. Zilch. One could argue sanctity of word-for-word code, but that would be the MAXIMUM they COULD legaly be awarded, in any reasonable jurisdiction. The whole concept of "Modder's Rights" is a myth, for some strange reason purpetuated by the MC forum admins. I lose respect for a mod whenever I see one of those 'licences' pasted on it, because it is just as effective as a simple "(c) John Doe, 2012" and has two or three pages of LIES attached.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's misinforming people and screwing them over out of vanity.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: December 12, 2012, 12:56:10 am »

Also Dragnar: Exactly. Modders have NO rights. Zilch.
Except they do. Not legally, of course, but most of the minecraft forums will ban you for violating "modders rights". That's a real power that they have, and stuff like that happens a lot. It's ridiculous, but if every forum bans you, you can't very well get your mod to people.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: December 12, 2012, 12:57:16 am »

Yeah, it's bullshit.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: December 12, 2012, 01:13:25 am »

A roomfull of idiots agreeing on something does not make it true, nor does it strip other citizens of the obligation to call the idiots out as such and/or thwart them.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3460 on: December 12, 2012, 01:17:30 am »

Man, this is such a gigantic shitfest. And over what, oh yeah. Little addons to a game of legos.
I LOVE minecraft and I LOVE playing it modded. But this is ridiculous. Just all the drama that comes from it.
Now leaving from subjectivity, I do think Flowerchild is quite the namesake. I do worry at the idea if he suddenly floods us with mouth foaming fans just because we're talking about him?
I hope not, given the most likely situation there's probably too many people getting upset at him for him to target us specifically anyway.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3461 on: December 12, 2012, 01:37:50 am »

The Minecraft modding community is like an eternal drama engine sometimes. It can't really be helped now because of how it formed but it is still a part of a game I play more then most other things. Likely this won't affect us beyond this bit of drama we have flooding through this thread right now and will end when we see the outcome of BWF's development because nothing is really certain with it from what I can find.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: December 12, 2012, 02:18:39 am »

A roomfull of idiots agreeing on something does not make it true, nor does it strip other citizens of the obligation to call the idiots out as such and/or thwart them.
Of course it does. If all of america suddenly decides Romney is president, he effectively is. He may not hold the actual office, but he is.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: December 12, 2012, 11:12:27 am »

Minecraft forums are BS and i left them a long time ago. It's a sad truth that it's one of the only ways to get your mod to be seen.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: December 12, 2012, 11:16:20 am »

Of course it does. If all of america suddenly decides Romney is president, he effectively is. He may not hold the actual office, but he is.
This is more equivalent to all the students in a single classroom deciding that they're in charge of the school. One crazy little forum is rather different from all of the internet agreeing with them.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 326