Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 974853 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3420 on: December 10, 2012, 07:10:17 am »

Well why don't you go tell them that its not necessary and they're wasting their time then. I don't particularly care one way or the other.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: December 10, 2012, 07:18:18 am »

This mod is going to be awesome.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3422 on: December 10, 2012, 07:21:33 am »

That mod looks awesome. :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3423 on: December 10, 2012, 07:32:06 am »

This mod is going to be awesome.
Which mod?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:37 am »

MagmaMcFry's mod, ofcourse!
I cant wait until it's finished. It already looks great.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3425 on: December 10, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »

...I might be going mad.
I thought I had made a post asking at what version of the 'modpack' you were with Forsaken, and where I could find it if you had indeed updated it.
...Turns out the 'search' didn't highlight my previous post, so it must mean it wasn't posted.
Oh well: this time I'm asking I suppose.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3426 on: December 10, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3427 on: December 10, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »

You asked in the regular Minecraft thread.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35804.msg3860622#msg3860622

I knew alzheimer would get me eventually.
*blushes and mumbles a sorry*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3428 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:21 pm »

Basically at the moment every mod that has a liquid has their own system for doing it. They want a dictionary so you can easily add liquids to the game that can be placed in the world and work with all the other mods as they should.

In fact, all the mods on DW20's server that have liquids already use the Buildcraft/Forge API (since they can be pumped around in Buildcraft waterproof pipes, stored in Railcraft tanks, etc...).

So in theory you could put any liquid into any liquid container without making a dozen separate recipes for each liquid/container combination
A good API and a liquid registry is enough to ensure global intercompatibility and recipe continuity, you don't need a dictionary for that.
and a so a good API and ore registry is enough for ores so why the ore dictionary? I am going to side with the Modders in this case as I know enough programming to know why they want it but not enough to explain it myself.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: December 10, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »

The ore dictionary is there to simplify recipe handling, because the recipe handler needs to be able to quickly find a recipe for every set of ingredients, and because you can easily define mod-spanning recipes this way while keeping the recipes sortable and searchable (for performance and for NEI). Since there is no need for quick sortability when you work with liquids (simply because there are so few), the dictionary is unneccessary and other options are more useful.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3430 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »

The ore dictionary is there to simplify recipe handling, because the recipe handler needs to be able to quickly find a recipe for every set of ingredients, and because you can easily define mod-spanning recipes this way while keeping the recipes sortable and searchable (for performance and for NEI). Since there is no need for quick sortability when you work with liquids (simply because there are so few), the dictionary is unneccessary and other options are more useful.
And this doesn't apply to liquids.. why? A good liquid dictionary would not only allow me to have 'apple juice' as a liquid from several mods which all interact normally (apple juice is apple juice after all, no matter which mod made it) but would also allow me to place it in any liquids container I want without tying into an API. I could have 6 mods which each have their own use for and method of producing apple juice and it would work, even if those mods' authors did not use the normal API.

(Just using applejuice here as an example.)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: December 11, 2012, 01:05:51 am »

Huh. I'd always assumed Flowerchild's reputation was massively overblown. Simply because I couldn't imagine anyone being that ridiculous. Turns out I was wrong! He came into the Forge IRC today, started ranting about some mod that was being made, and how awful they were for allowing it. http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/lexmanos-vs-flower-child-forge-is-now-run-by-nazis.32725/

...though the mod he was ranting about sounds awesome! :P It's called Better With Forge. And is apparently meant to replicate the blocks and functionality of Better Than Wolves, without touching his code. And since it's a remake, not something built from decompiling his code... he doesn't have a leg to stand on to stop it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: December 11, 2012, 01:24:58 am »

The Nazi card was pulled. It's "serious" now.

...I don't know a thing about ~mod drama~ so... it's probably been "serious".
It's probably a bad thing that I find this as funny as I do, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: December 11, 2012, 01:33:54 am »

Wow, the Drama.  This brings back memories... Usenet wars over the origin of a piece of art, or who had the right to maintain a group's FAQ, or even the spelling of a word.

I don't have a single good thing to say about Flower Child, but these other people are mud wrestling with a pig.  They're getting all dirty, and the pig likes it.  Yes, I'll say that.  FC likes the Drama, he likes to be the Martyr, he wants to be the One Just Man railing against the Wickedness.

I have some respect for the Forge devs, and lots of respect for Forge itself.  I'm pretty unhappy that it didn't fulfill its promise of making mods version-independent.  As a coder, I do see the reasons....

But more power to whoever this Flower Adult person is.  A remake or demake that doesn't use the original's code or resources is quite legal.  Even (my jurisdiction is California, USA, so Ninth Circuit Federal Court) if they decompiled the original and based their own work on that.  And there's few more deserving targets in the MC modder community than FC, and none with a higher profile.

So let FC rant.  Ignore him.  'Steal' his work.  Reimplement his ideas.  Acknowledge his work, yes, but without thanking him.  And let him fade into the obscurity he deserves.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3434 on: December 11, 2012, 01:43:54 am »

Heh, fc went crazy before I got into mods so I never actually used BTW though it did look cool. Being a programmer of sorts I have my own ideas of common curtsey and such when it comes to ones own code but really he just steps over the line so much I don't respect him as a person nor as a programmer. I hope once the person finishes BWF everyone leaves BTW so fc can yell in his little corner of the web all by his lonesome.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 326