Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975076 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3090 on: October 13, 2012, 01:20:34 pm »

The ones that are made to work alongside it are actually more likely to cause errors in RP2 because they monkey around with RP2's code to work with it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: October 13, 2012, 01:23:47 pm »

See, Eloraam has a legitimate reason for why she did that. Currently the various wire systems are all sorts of fucked due to different systems using different conversion rates and fan made conversion rates that make it really easy to produce energy feedback loops. Simply letting other people decide how your energy converts is a bad practice.

Essentially the developer version of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub :

"A Scrub is a player of a competitive video game who adamantly believes that his or her "house rules" should apply to everyone to promote his or her view of "fair play". If a scrub sees a move or strategy he doesn't like (or can't beat), he bans it (if only in his own mind), and complains that anyone who uses it is cheap. "
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: October 13, 2012, 01:26:05 pm »

Like, I understand the position of wanting it to work with the conversion mod because I won't bother with another separate energy system itself, just convert to whatever machines I need. I just dislike the piling onto her like it's simply an egotrip. It's something you can disagree with, but it's not senseless.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3093 on: October 13, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »

I'd like to hope I'm not coming across like that.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: October 13, 2012, 01:28:29 pm »

See, Eloraam has a legitimate reason for why she did that. Currently the various wire systems are all sorts of fucked due to different systems using different conversion rates and fan made conversion rates that make it really easy to produce energy feedback loops. Simply letting other people decide how your energy converts is a bad practice.

Essentially the developer version of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub :

"A Scrub is a player of a competitive video game who adamantly believes that his or her "house rules" should apply to everyone to promote his or her view of "fair play". If a scrub sees a move or strategy he doesn't like (or can't beat), he bans it (if only in his own mind), and complains that anyone who uses it is cheap. "

Doubleposting for this because she is a developer of the product, not some player. She has full authority to decide this shit. Your comparison is tenuous at best.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3095 on: October 13, 2012, 01:36:19 pm »

It has no comparison at all. A scrub is someone who is not good at something and so try's to ban anything that they can't beat. Elo simply doesn't want people to monkey around with her stuff until she is finished with it. It be like saying that SC devs are scrub anytime they change something, or LoL devs, or really any game dev ever.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: October 13, 2012, 01:47:48 pm »

The entire thing seems really hypocritical in my opinion. I mean imagine if Mojang had said "we don't want any mods", Redpower wouldn't even exist. Mojang haven't kept compatibility with every mod, so I don't see why Eloram should mind there be a mod that interacts with Redpower.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3097 on: October 13, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »

The entire thing seems really hypocritical in my opinion. I mean imagine if Mojang had said "we don't want any mods", Redpower wouldn't even exist. Mojang haven't kept compatibility with every mod, so I don't see why Eloram should mind there be a mod that interacts with Redpower.
   The difference is that Mojang is fine with us modding their game and Elo says she doesn't want us fooling around with things she has not completed yet. Honestly I can wait for her to finish because the mod is worth it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: October 13, 2012, 02:36:20 pm »

I remember Notch once tweeting something about he'd like people to stop modding his program, and that he was probably going to ban it until he got the API running, and the ENTIRE MODDING COMMUNITY went ballistic and complained about their "rights to mod Minecraft". I'm sure somewhere in there was Eloraam and that other dude complaining about it too. So Notch took it back, practically begging them not to murder him.

So there you go, modders have more rights than Mojang about its own product, apparently.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3099 on: October 13, 2012, 03:12:14 pm »

The difference is that Mojang is fine with us modding their game and Elo says she doesn't want us fooling around with things she has not completed yet. Honestly I can wait for her to finish because the mod is worth it.
But why would she have any legal or even moral high ground on anyone who decides to mess with redpower though? Why wouldn't I be allowed to create any mod addon of it at all?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3100 on: October 13, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »

But why would she have any legal or even moral high ground on anyone who decides to mess with redpower though? Why wouldn't I be allowed to create any mod addon of it at all?
   Your allowed to. I never said you could not, its just that you would have to find somewhere that would let you link it so others could find it if you wanted others to use it. As it is the only real place you may be able to post it and not get it shot down is here and even then it might end up causing problems for Toady. Basically go to town if you want, just don't expect anyone to end up using it besides yourself.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: October 13, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »

Saying that she doesn't want people messing with her code before she is finished with it means that she either expects these mods to affect how she is going to code the game, or expects one of these conversion mods to be similar to what she is planning, and wants to be the first one to make the code in a certain way.

I find both to be foolish reasons.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3102 on: October 13, 2012, 08:54:41 pm »

Saying that she doesn't want people messing with her code before she is finished with it means that she either expects these mods to affect how she is going to code the game, or expects one of these conversion mods to be similar to what she is planning, and wants to be the first one to make the code in a certain way.

I find both to be foolish reasons.
   Or she doesn't want to end up hunting bugs that don't exist because of others messing with her code.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: October 14, 2012, 01:44:00 am »

Did she say that? Because that's something you would normally say at the start if that was you intention.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3104 on: October 14, 2012, 02:46:19 am »

Can I go with "This again?"

And exactly the same examples and counterexamples as last time...
It's a debate with no conclusion possible ;_;

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 326