Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975327 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2925 on: September 17, 2012, 02:33:47 am »

...On the other hand, analogies don't work so well either D:

I think most of the hate is because of the soundbox effect of having lots of same-minded people in a small area. It echoes and amplifies until it bursts out and spills over everywhere.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2926 on: September 17, 2012, 04:20:27 am »

Wait... so how are you planning on adding those to your 1.3.2 server? You're not going to use bukkit then?
One of my servers, the current modded server that is up right now, will simply continue as-is but update to 1.3.2 when most/all of the mods are available. It isn't going to be bukkit, just vanilla minecraft with mods.

The other server is going to use bukkit and will have more structure to it. It will also be public, as opposed to private/whitelisted.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: September 17, 2012, 05:53:37 am »

The modding community is just too... closed minded. It's always 'DON'T STEAL MY MOD', or forcing people through an adfly link. I'm sick of it. It's too filled with 12-year olds.

Back on topic, I really like Forestry. Shame I can't play.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2928 on: September 17, 2012, 05:55:45 am »

The modding community is just too... closed minded. It's always 'DON'T STEAL MY MOD', or forcing people through an adfly link. I'm sick of it. It's too filled with 12-year olds.

Back on topic, I really like Forestry. Shame I can't play.
There's nothing wrong with adfly links... they only take a few seconds, and once you do it once and see the actual URL you can simply bypass them.

What is keeping you from playing with Forestry?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:05 am »

I can't download from mediafire. For some strange reason. And I used to love it when it was in technic.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2930 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:21 am »

The ad.fly links also happen to earn so little, and only up to 5 views per unique visitor, I think.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: September 17, 2012, 05:59:23 am »

Yeah, but there's something so... Scummy about them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2932 on: September 17, 2012, 06:01:34 am »

Yeah, but there's something so... Scummy about them.
Your standards must be pretty high, I guess. There are a lot more scummy sites they could use.

I can't download from mediafire. For some strange reason. And I used to love it when it was in technic.
Have you considered asking someone else to download the mod for you? Like someone here? I know for a fact that most people on b12 wouldn't mind helping. I'd do it myself if I wasn't currently at work.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: September 17, 2012, 07:57:39 am »

Even if I could, I would have no idea how to install.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2934 on: September 17, 2012, 07:59:56 am »

Even if I could, I would have no idea how to install.
Again, people here are likely willing to help... I guess I don't understand the 'woe is me' defeatist attitude you seem to have.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:31 am »

Thanks. I may do so on the weekend.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:11 am »

I really don't get how people struggle with installing mods. It strikes me as being incredibly lazy instead of not knowing how

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: September 17, 2012, 08:21:58 am »

Having just grappled with modding X3: Terran Conflict, I can safely say that modding seems easy to someone who's already done it, but if you've never modded, or you've never modded that specific game, then it doesn't make much sense.  For instance, with X3:TC I grabbed a few mods that had readme's in them, and the entire instructions were "Installation: Instal the mod as normal."

Minecraft modding happens in one of two ways.  Most mods work with Forge now, which is infinitely easier and easier to deal with.  Forge will add a folder in your .minecraft file named "mods".  Simply drop the mod in there, it's usually a .zip or maybe a .jar or sometimes just a regular folder.  Place it in the \mods folder and boot up.  That easy.

But many mods are a bit deeper than that, and Forge doesn't offer enough access, so they go for direct modding.  For these, you open the .minecraft folder, then go into \bin and then fine "minecraft.jar" - right click it and "open with" 7zip or winRAR Archiver - I prefer winRAR, even if it tells me to buy the full version every time I open it.  Open the mod you downloaded, it's usually packaged as a .zip so just open it, you don't need to actually unpackage it anywhere.  Click in the mod's package, hit ctrl-a, and drag into minecraft's package.  If it asks you to replace any existing files, then agree to all of them.

Or simply: Forge mods are dumped in the "mods" folder.  Other mods are dumped into minecraft.jar directly.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:18 am »

I really don't get how people struggle with installing mods. It strikes me as being incredibly lazy instead of not knowing how
Thanks a lot mate. You just insulted a bunch of people, including me.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:30 am »

Wait... so how are you planning on adding those to your 1.3.2 server? You're not going to use bukkit then?
One of my servers, the current modded server that is up right now, will simply continue as-is but update to 1.3.2 when most/all of the mods are available. It isn't going to be bukkit, just vanilla minecraft with mods.

The other server is going to use bukkit and will have more structure to it. It will also be public, as opposed to private/whitelisted.

Oh rats... guess I won't be using that bukkit multidimension thingy on my "single player" mode. Think I'm going to get rid of mystcraft for now, until they have some version that uses a more current Forge version that is compatible with all the released mods for 1.3.2.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 326