Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975802 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2700 on: August 26, 2012, 05:40:28 pm »

tnx. I read the post and somehow missed the name.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: August 26, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »

While that's cool and all, it sounds like it may also be lag-inducing.  How much drag is there in a single-block-with-data compared to multiple-blocks style?  For one a lot of people play Minecraft on smaller computers, and for two, everyone plays Minecraft with mods installed that consume computer resources.  So using more block ID's to make it run smoother would be a fair tradeoff.
And there's 4096 IDs to go around now, not saying you should use them like mad, but there's no need to be rediculously conservative any more.
It's good form to be polite and conservative, but it's bad form to be stingy and write slow code.  Even if it's very "efficient" code it may still cause FPS decay.  Especially since this mod will require large-scale machines, and several of them, to handle normal gameplay.  If one machine causes a little drag, then dozens of them will crash the game.  Java's not the most tolerant platform, and I think making it run fast is more important that making it memory-friendly.
Actually, reducing my functional blocks to one block ID instead of spreading them over multiple blocks has no effect on memory usage and speed at all. The functionality of a block depends on the tile entity, not on the block ID, and these can be made dependent on the block meta value, so the only noticeable difference between using one block ID and using multiple is that if you use multiple block IDs, then you use up more block IDs. In fact, using only one block ID saves me a shitload of redundant code. It would naturally make a difference if I added non-tile-entity blocks to this ID as well, but for those, I'll use a separate ID. I always put performance before memory usage, so if using less block IDs would require more CPU time, I'd never have considered it. Don't worry folks, I can code.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: August 26, 2012, 06:03:30 pm »

By the way, this is my first time ever using Java. I like it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: August 26, 2012, 06:15:49 pm »

java seems to be the most complicated code, requiring more work for 'hello world!' than any other language I've seen.

I wouldn't even know how to do that. All I knew of Java before I downloaded it were the few things that were ranted upon in the programming thread. If I need to know some syntax or how something works, I just look for an example in the Minecraft and Forge source code. That's already more than enough to write the whole rest of my mod.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: August 26, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

On a related note, will these machines be compliant with things like block places?  A few mods, but RedPower in particular, allow you to place blocks via machine.  Except many blocks don't like this, such as wire which must attach to other blocks, and blocks with a directional facing, like furnaces and most machines.

Otherwise, how about trying to show off a bit?  Make a multi-tile furnace, even if it's only using the interface for the furnace, it'd be neat to see that it actually works to construct multi-tile single machines.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: August 26, 2012, 06:37:19 pm »

On a related note, will these machines be compliant with things like block places?  A few mods, but RedPower in particular, allow you to place blocks via machine.  Except many blocks don't like this, such as wire which must attach to other blocks, and blocks with a directional facing, like furnaces and most machines.

Otherwise, how about trying to show off a bit?  Make a multi-tile furnace, even if it's only using the interface for the furnace, it'd be neat to see that it actually works to construct multi-tile single machines.

You can directly place everything that doesn't move. For the rest, you have to place special frame blocks first, and then you put the gears, axles etc. inside of those.

Your multi-tile furnace sounds a bit like a Railcraft coke oven. What this (assumably) does is simply choose a single block in the bottom middle that actually has an inventory and does stuff, and the rest of the blocks simply open the lower block's inventory when right-clicked. To register the multi-tile structure, all you do is have every block occasionally check whether there is a cube structure above them, and if yes, then replace the whole cube structure with GUI-propagating blocks. If a block breaks, it sends a hint to the bottom middle block, which in turn sends a signal to all the other blocks to replace them with unjoined coke oven blocks again. That's really all there is to it. My mechanical and hydraulic systems will work like that, but I still need to write the framework.

So showing off is not ready yet. I'll show off as soon as I can, but not a single moment earlier.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »

Well, this filled my daily quota for "O_o" today.
(very mildly NSFW)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: August 26, 2012, 09:07:41 pm »

I found another good looking mod.

ExtrabiomesXL.

list of biomes here: https://github.com/ExtrabiomesXL/ExtrabiomesXL/wiki/List-of-Biomes

Extrabiomes is cool but I really, REALLY REALLY wish they had made all those useless vegetation blocks (some sort of different grass "block" and all those mushrooms) break like grass, and also not prevent block placement. Try placing a stone block on those "flat" textures and it'll instead place it one block above it :/

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: August 26, 2012, 09:25:10 pm »

(very mildly NSFW)
I feel like that mod has been mentioned here before. Or maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: August 26, 2012, 09:26:38 pm »

(very mildly NSFW)
I feel like that mod has been mentioned here before. Or maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me.
Search turned up nothing. Perhaps it was mentioned in the normal Minecraft thread, or maybe the WTF thread.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: August 26, 2012, 10:22:50 pm »

"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: August 26, 2012, 10:40:12 pm »

I'd recognize those slime balls anywhere
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 26, 2012, 11:11:51 pm »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: August 26, 2012, 11:36:41 pm »

Does tekkit have different mod versions form technic? On youtube I'm seeing uranium be worth many diamonds, but on technic with the dev build it's worth only half a diamond.

It also seems like tekkit has mods that technic doesn't.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 27, 2012, 02:49:07 am »

Yep, Technic is intended for single-player only, so it has some mods that don't have bukkit plugins. Tekkit is intended to be a multiplayer version of Technic, so it only has the mods that are compatible with bukkit. On top of that, many server owners feel that half the EE items are overpowered, and disable them. :(
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 326