Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975757 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2685 on: August 26, 2012, 09:36:56 am »

This is all true, except you end up needed a chest/buffer, wooden pipe, wooden engine, and a redstone signal.  It would just be so much more convenient if you could easily transfer from 3/4" pipe to 1/2" pipe without installing a pressure regulator.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: August 26, 2012, 09:39:27 am »

Hrm I downloaded the technic pack, but there is no launcher.... I can't find it :(

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2687 on: August 26, 2012, 09:40:29 am »

The executable on the site is the launcher.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: August 26, 2012, 09:41:45 am »

The technic pack is the launcher.  If you're on Firefox, hit Ctrl J to open your "downloaded items" list, and simply double-click it.  It will run the launcher, and the launcher will automatically download all the files and instal them into .technic in the roaming file.  Once it's done, you just start playing.  I must congratulate them on making it incredibly simple.  Download, run, play.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: August 26, 2012, 09:43:42 am »

Huh, so the downloadable is also the exe. Interesting. Thanks.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: August 26, 2012, 04:20:16 pm »

Edit: The mod in its current state is already more complex than most of the mods you'll find on the Minecraft forums, and it doesn't even do anything yet.

Not terribly fair when most of the mods are some variation of making a list of tools between iron and diamond out of some weird material. Like sponge.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: August 26, 2012, 04:48:37 pm »

I love the higher-tier mods myself.  "My mod's unique, because I added hyperdiamond and made hyperdiamond swords!"

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: August 26, 2012, 04:58:05 pm »

Edit: The mod in its current state is already more complex than most of the mods you'll find on the Minecraft forums, and it doesn't even do anything yet.

Not terribly fair when most of the mods are some variation of making a list of tools between iron and diamond out of some weird material. Like sponge.
Alright, ya got me ;)

I'm building my entire functionality framework on exactly one block ID, and various TileEntities can register a metadata value each in this ID. Currently I'm writing an inventory builder that allows me to build very customizable inventories while permitting easy orientation-dependent ISidedInventory support and a generic method for saving and loading an arbitrary inventory. Essentially, I'm trying to pack as much of the generic code as possible into base classes, trying to minimize the amount of subclasses and code needed to create a new block type, and even though I've thrown tons of lines of code into the mod already, I've yet to do anything mod-specific, so this is essentially a growing collection of simplifying yet powerful wrappers which would probably fit into Forge very well. Wow.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: August 26, 2012, 05:02:29 pm »

While that's cool and all, it sounds like it may also be lag-inducing.  How much drag is there in a single-block-with-data compared to multiple-blocks style?  For one a lot of people play Minecraft on smaller computers, and for two, everyone plays Minecraft with mods installed that consume computer resources.  So using more block ID's to make it run smoother would be a fair tradeoff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2694 on: August 26, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »

So using more block ID's to make it run smoother would be a fair tradeoff.
Especially now that we have over 4000 of them

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: August 26, 2012, 05:03:52 pm »

And there's 4096 IDs to go around now, not saying you should use them like mad, but there's no need to be rediculously conservative any more.
My cabbages!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: August 26, 2012, 05:07:30 pm »

Precisely.  It's good form to be polite and conservative, but it's bad form to be stingy and write slow code.  Even if it's very "efficient" code it may still cause FPS decay.  Especially since this mod will require large-scale machines, and several of them, to handle normal gameplay.  If one machine causes a little drag, then dozens of them will crash the game.  Java's not the most tolerant platform, and I think making it run fast is more important that making it memory-friendly.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: August 26, 2012, 05:13:48 pm »

Now, on the subject of Industrial Ages

link?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: August 26, 2012, 05:14:37 pm »

It's the mod Magma McFry's working on.
My cabbages!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:43 pm »

Magma McFry is writing it. Look at his/her recent posts in this thread.
Long story short, it's in development. Quite early development, but showing promise.

Ninjad
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 326