Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975821 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2670 on: August 25, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

So...  My net is terrible, been playing singleplayer using Forsaken's server's modpack.  Anyone else using runes?  Turns out they're a little OP for lumber.  It will harvest a tree, it says "adjacent trees" but I've only observe the central one to be affected.  When it does so, it can also produce some extra logs and extra sticks.  It costs 24 rune powder though, which means 6x charcoal and 12x plant matter, so it's not entirely economical, unless you get some nice big trees.  I have to wonder how it handles jungle trees as well...

Also: Let Eloraam do what Eloraams are wont to do.  All I want is a way to quickly shift pipe materials from RP pipes to BC pipes.  Forget power converters.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 25, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »

Is the transposer + obsidian pipe setup not good enough?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 25, 2012, 06:18:13 pm »

Modding ethics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, on the subject of Industrial Ages:
Be brave, projects like these seem to go on for a long time invisibly before suddenly coalescing into a (bug-ridden and/or limited) demonstration of their true potential, and then become smoother sailing from there.

I don't know much about Minecraft modding, but what I would think this project would show in the way of early visible milestones you could look at and pat yourself on the back for would be:
1. blocks recognizing others nearby and possibly changing shape to attach.
2. attached blocks transferring information, some kind of chain reaction.
3. animation/model changes to show states in a block

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 25, 2012, 07:02:03 pm »

Well, the first physics system I'll be implementing is the temperature transfer and heat conduction system, and then I'll make a structured furnace with heating and smelting component blocks. Next, I'll add transfer of viscous fluids like molten metals (gravity-based), and have the furnace create molten metal instead of ingots, which needs to be drained out through stone drains and filled into ingot casts which will drop metal when full. Next, I'll add temperature and convection to those fluids: Ore smelting will be based on available heat, not on time, and the liquids will cool down (faster when exposed to air), moving slower and eventually clogging up the drains. Then the metal in the ingot casts will need to be fully cooled down before the casts drop ingots, but the cooldown can be sped up with an adjacent cooling block running on water/ice/snow.

And so on. It'll be a very smooth experience, but I have to get the core done first. I'm currently piling layer upon layer of wrappers, and initial testing is still a while away.

Edit: The mod in its current state is already more complex than most of the mods you'll find on the Minecraft forums, and it doesn't even do anything yet.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:52:02 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 25, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »

Just going "No, you cannot create a utility for this which would make everyone enjoy it more because I plan on making my own" is directly harming the end user for the sake of what?
For the sake of not harming the end user. Read the post above. Addons that depend on someone else's code are all fun and games until the previous code updates. It's annoying enough having to wait for forge to update, imagine having to wait for Forge, then Redpower and then all the Redpower addons every server has become dependent on. It'll also cause issues if someone's addon turns out to be exactly what Eloraam had in mind, and we all know how the MC community reacts to people releasing similar stuff.

Redpower simply isn't finished, and Eloraam doesn't want people finishing it for her by coding their own versions of unfinished features. She's mentioned releasing a Redpower API in one of her blog posts, if I recall correctly, but not until the mod is actually done.

Some of her reasons remind me of a certain amphibian developer we all know who doesn't want to provide an interface API just yet.

I'm sure that when Microsoft decides that we aren't allowed to reverse engineer their .DOC format to make an import utility or some other kind of document reader, they're doing it to protect users from something that they plan to do themselves and everyone should just accept it and move on, unable to open the files in any other program or use the data contained in them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: August 25, 2012, 10:50:46 pm »

Microsoft has some reasoning though.  It's a pay service.  Minecraft mods are free, and as much intellectual property as you want to throw about, Java is basically open source.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2676 on: August 26, 2012, 12:58:12 am »

I was under the impression that you could basically crack open a .jar and see the code inside...

...Am I wrong? >.> I never actually tried, but I heard it was called just-in-time compilation.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: August 26, 2012, 01:20:49 am »

I hope the mod get updated to 1.3.2 soon I using better generation mod and I need a way to fly do to being in Sky dimension...I don't want to make a Bridge that like 200-300 blocks long..
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 26, 2012, 01:44:14 am »

I was under the impression that you could basically crack open a .jar and see the code inside...

...Am I wrong? >.> I never actually tried, but I heard it was called just-in-time compilation.
You can see the half-compiled bytecode, but not the more human-readable source code.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 26, 2012, 03:12:10 am »

You can always see the java representation of bytecode (with one notable exception) but here the code is obfuscated by the compiler meaning all classes are named 'aa' 'ab' 'ac' etc., all variables and method names are changed too in a similar way, making it difficult to follow the code (but not impossible)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: August 26, 2012, 04:44:53 am »

Is the MC coder pack a decompiler of sorts then? I have no idea if that is actually possible, but i'm just so fucking curious.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: August 26, 2012, 05:52:47 am »

Is the MC coder pack a decompiler of sorts then? I have no idea if that is actually possible, but i'm just so fucking curious.

Nope, it's a de-obfuscator, they very painstakly gone trough source/follow the code and figured out what it does.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2682 on: August 26, 2012, 07:09:53 am »

All I want is a way to quickly shift pipe materials from RP pipes to BC pipes.  Forget power converters.
Can't the buffer do that? IIRC it just acts as a sided inventory and you can pull items out with BC pipes from the output side. The Relay should easily go from BC pipes to RP pipes as well.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: August 26, 2012, 07:19:47 am »

Shouldn't a chest work, too?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2684 on: August 26, 2012, 08:06:05 am »

Aother way is to make items pop out of an RC tube somehow, then pick it up with an obsidian pipe. Too much materials needed for it, but it -is- a way.

Though using a chest is probably better.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 326