Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975905 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2610 on: August 24, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »

Forget sheep power.  I want zombie power!  The zombie turbine would be created with a belt, some sticks, iron for a restraint chain, and a piece of raw beef.  Lure a zombie on and it becomes stuck, providing a low amount of power.
Oh oh oh... trap a Blaze in your boiler!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 24, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »

I think this guy is getting overloaded with suggestions right now.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 24, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »

That's the risk you face when you post your creative ideas on B12.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: August 24, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

I think this guy is getting overloaded with suggestions right now.
GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 24, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »

I would imagine that having a heat system and modular buildings using heat/liquids/gasses would mean that magma forges are automatically a possibility. Though you might use a hot/cold water system to heat and cool metal in a steampunk magma forge. Water spray to quench, compressed air to cool, 1000 degree steam to heat?
Then again, direct conduction heating sounds safer and more efficient than gas-heating. What would one use for the surface though?

A pneumatics/hydraulics system would be useful for all kinds of things. Cannons, industry...

Are you planning on simulating water knock/steam hammer? The phenomena where condensation in a pipe is accelerated by pressure buildup behind it like a bullet in a gun, causing noise and possibly damage to corners at the ends of straightaways? Probably not worth simulating, and potentially very annoying, but just brainstorming.

I can see combining this with RedPower making some pretty awesome airships. Pity Redpower can't rotate things. I'd settle for 90 degree turns with estimated collision.

EDIT: Oh, I just thought of something. Are Railcraft coke ovens/blast furnaces movable by frames? If not, that might be a problem with moving multi-tile machinery: evry tile needs to be accessable. Actually, thinking about it, even if the blocks are seperate entities, a coke oven should still be movable, but needs two faces and a ring around the middle covered in frames, rendering piping complicated.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:47:17 pm by Matz05 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: August 24, 2012, 03:07:44 pm »

It actually depends if the coke oven has a core or not.  You build it hollow, but it may generate a center block when it finishes.

Although yes that's an excellent point.  So long as nothing is 3 blocks thick in any point, then it's frame-compatible and would be very cool.  It can even be hollow to allow frames though:
Code: [Select]
xxxxx
xx xx
xxxxx

Or you could risk Eloraam's wrath, and make finished machines count as "frames with panels" so that they'll connect to each other, but they won't carry along other items.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2616 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:44 pm »

It doesn't generate a central block. I tried lying down inside of one when building it once, to test.

The blast furnace generates some lava in the middle bottom block though.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »

Really, Eloraam's dislike of add-ons isn't as irrational and petty as the old BTW incident -- or some of the sentiments I saw on the IC2 fora/etc.
I think Eloraam's attitude is one of "Don't fork it till 1.0!" She is afraid (maybe justly) that addons/forks of RP will lead to:
a) community fragmentatiion
b) rage when a RP update breaks everything

Considering that she pioneered Forge, and that there are two outstanding examples I know of where express permission for interlinking has been given (Thaumcraft 2 and Wireless Redstone Chickenbones' Edition), she doesn't seem as pigheaded as half the Minecraft modders I see out there.
(NO! MY RECOMPILED MOJANG LIBRARY! IT ILEEGEAL TO STEEL MY COPYRIGHT! NO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT FOR U!) <--average MC modder
(I don't want forks or addons yet, it's not finished!) <--Eloraam

Yes, annoying, but a far better attitude than that of the rest.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 24, 2012, 04:25:56 pm »

I think Eloraam's attitude is one of "Don't fork it till 1.0!" She is afraid (maybe justly) that addons/forks of RP will lead to:
[...]
(I don't want forks or addons yet, it's not finished!) <--Eloraam

Yes, annoying, but a far better attitude than that of the rest.

Problem is, she'll never reach a 1.0 release.  She has this grand vision, and it keeps getting bigger.

Placeholders and half-working pieces.

Grow flax to process into paint so I can color the wires I made from redstone and rubber that I somehow obtained from her rubber trees.  (None of which actually works yet. but I still have to have those ugly trees, `cause she says so.)

Make her own materials transport mechanism, instead of using buildcraft's.  (Admittedly, hers are better, but she still rolled her own instead of helping the BC guy improve his.)

Add bluepower so she has a unified do-everything mod, but we the users have two or three redundant ways to do-almost-everything, each incompatible and with subtle gotchas.

This is not in the scope of a better Integrated Redstone.  These should be separate mods, that can be independent but can cooperate when both are installed.

Yeah, other modders have similar attitudes and behaviors, similar faults.  Is that an excuse?  I dunno.  I'm just a user, an occasional player of Minecraft+mods.  But I do know that I intend to leave RP out of my next world, which is sad.  I'll either do without redstone control altogether, or maybe, what was it, computercraft? 

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: August 24, 2012, 04:32:47 pm »

I could use a few different mods that have questionable quality, quality and balance issues, or just use Redpower because she isn't a silly goose. I don't see a large problem with several different transport systems being developed with their own design ideas. It's a far better world than a concept being restrained to one developer.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2620 on: August 24, 2012, 04:35:53 pm »

I just wish the different modules of redpower were truly independant. As it is, you cannot leave out, for example, redpower world and the trees/marble/basalt/volcanos without leaving out several others. What is the point of having modules if they are dependent on each other in such a way?!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2621 on: August 24, 2012, 04:38:34 pm »

Because having a load of modules guarantees she gets the 5 adfly clicks from each user.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 24, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »

Could be more of a development concept than actual modules. Like emphasizing one group of elements at a time sort of deal.

I would actually love to see somebody try to pull some piracy on her. That guy would be universally loathed by everybody in the modding community.

Except a few people on the MC forums because they are kinda weird like that.

Lol @ anybody thinking anybody gives a shit about adfly pennies
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 24, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »

Lol @ anybody thinking anybody gives a shit about adfly pennies
I guess the rabid uprising against Technic was all joking then :P

But seriously, it wasn't until adfly came into the picture that the Minecraft modding scene started going to shit, with everyone screaming at everyone else about copyrights and stealing ideas. Funny how that worked out if nobody cares.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:45:16 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: August 24, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »

someone ought to make a large, distinct mod based on her coding*, and, once the mod's stops being updated, PM her saying 'guess what we did?'

that would probably cause her to flip her shit

*if you can. not sure how coding works.

She would flip her shit.  Based on that mess about that little one-block energy conversion module, I would predict a total meltdown.

And she'd have the legal right to e.g. send a DMCA takedown and get the derived mod yanked.  (IF, and only if, the mod copied any piece of her own code.)
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 326