Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976102 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2535 on: August 22, 2012, 08:59:31 pm »

Just downloaded and tried out MCP with Forge. The Forge code is simply beautiful. Making mods is about a trillion times easier with Forge than without. Seriously, I have no idea how the vanilla Minecraft devs can use their ugly code without crying uncontrollably.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 22, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »

Forge basically adds a lot of hooks and loops and convenient entry points.  For instance, instead of writing up an ore, an ore placement, a refining recipe, and a recipe for crafting a shovel, and a recipe for crafting a pick, and a recipe for crafting a sword... you just declare "it's an ore" and it sorta fills in the refining part and whatnot.  This is also how different mods interact conveniently, like RedPower adds silver, but you can still refine it in an IndustrialCraft furnace, because it's flagged as an ore and flagged as a furnace, so they already know how to play with each other.

Of course it goes a lot deeper than that, but that's an example a non-programmer can relate to.

Oh, and I don't think the vanilla devs use vanilla code.  Pay attention, they've hired a lot of Bukkit onto staff and taken in other modders, so chances are they're not actually using vanilla code when they make vanilla code.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2537 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:27 pm »

Just downloaded and tried out MCP with Forge. The Forge code is simply beautiful. Making mods is about a trillion times easier with Forge than without. Seriously, I have no idea how the vanilla Minecraft devs can use their ugly code without crying uncontrollably.
That is indeed reassuring, even if you're very experienced with mod making. I'll probably check it out once I feel unlazy enough to do so.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 22, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »

Ahhh, he loves it from a coders aspect.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 23, 2012, 02:51:16 am »

It's not as crazy rare on a skylands map, where there is only one place they can spawn and it is checked constantly for doing as such.
So I should stand in the barn, open my inventory to release the mouse, and walk away for a few hours?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:29 am »

No. You should get some wheat, hold it in your hand, lure the animals in and then close the door.

Also, NOTHING spawns in the chunk you are in. IIRC, a 9x9 grid of chunks is loaded, and only the outer chunks actually spawn anything.
Else a creeper could spawn on your head and instakill you randomly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 23, 2012, 03:50:46 am »

As far as I know, this still applies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently that's spherical distance, so... yeah actually stuff should be able to spawn above/below you in the same chunk.

Unrelated, ostriches are annoyingly easy to breed. I turned my back for less than a day to build another room (started with a mystcraft room for exploiting dense ores, but apparently mystcraft and logistics pipes play together... poorly) and I found a pair of females had moved in and started raising a family of 6 babies, along with more eggs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:07:29 am by Peewee »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:18 am »

Yeah, stand nearby the barn and wait.  And make sure there's actual grass too, might need to be open to the sky as well.

and I found a pair of females had moved in and started raising a family of 6 babies, along with more eggs.
Your genetics model confuses me.  Two females?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 23, 2012, 09:52:18 am »

Mayby its like DF. A male roamed around and fertilized using spores.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 23, 2012, 10:46:09 am »

Let's not question the manner in which creatures come into being in minecraft... Also I shouldn't have used the term 'breeding' in my previous post. My bad.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 23, 2012, 01:01:37 pm »

I thought I saw so many bugged chickens that only had a body before I realized they some weird ostrich egg entity.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2546 on: August 23, 2012, 01:27:03 pm »

The real question is. Can you make ostrich eggs into omlettes/

Edit: And the even more real question is, do I have a functioning shift key?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2547 on: August 23, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »

For those of you complaining about ostriches breeding to fast here is something you might find amusing[warning course language present]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmbCNrq3UY
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 23, 2012, 05:25:03 pm »

* The Merchant Of Menace checks into thread.

I approve of this progression.

* The Merchant Of Menace vanishes for another undetermined period of time.
*Hugs*

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 23, 2012, 05:42:06 pm »

* The Merchant Of Menace checks into thread.

I approve of this progression.

* The Merchant Of Menace vanishes for another undetermined period of time.
So you're doing the same thing I do to the Great Music Thread, then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 326