Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976494 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2130 on: August 06, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »

It's sorta weird though. They don't want to add some crazy underground things besides weird ore generation. Caves are not wanted for some reason, so it basically just wastes your time as you look for ores.

Oh TFC has caves now, i started playing solo after i left forsaken's server (and used NEI to give myself the same items i had there), and after digging straight down near spawn, i ended up in a giant maze of underground caves, going all the way down to lava. Those caves seem different than the vanilla ones though, and harder to navigate. They feel much bigger for one.

So, has terrafirma craft reached a point where it can be called complete? Not talking version number, but if you play it, and finish everything it has to offer, are you satisfied or do you want more?

To be honest, i don't think so. The only thing that feels complete is the metalworking. It's where most of the content is : find ores, smelt them, make alloys, forge a variety of tools/weapons/armor. The biggest issue for me is that there's no interest in dealing with vanilla monsters with TFC gear. Before you get proper metal stuff, they are incredibly annoying to deal with, because of the sheer endless spawning in caves and at night, and your lack of means of defense. I'm playing in peaceful now, so i don't really know for sure but from what i gather, once you get iron and steel going, they go back to being a non-threat (though still annoying). TFC feels like it should have more realistic dangers and completely remove skeletons/zombies/creepers for something that would provide a more progressive threat, maybe some hostile animals here and there on the surface and creatures a bit more dangerous as you go lower in Y levels. Or at least, something to work towards which would require the use of the armor/weapons you work so hard to craft.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 06, 2012, 04:52:30 pm »

Just had a good run there, must've killed about 10 people and some bastard did the blocking thing which seems to mean you're friendly. I went to go past him and he killed me :D Had full leather gear :(

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 06, 2012, 05:07:45 pm »

once you get iron and steel going, they go back to being a non-threat (though still annoying).

That's putting it lightly. I tried the standard vertical elevator design using TNT. After donning a full set of colored steel (which color, exactly, I don't recall), I took pretty close to zero damage on a blast that launched me 200 blocks vertically. I didn't survive the fall, however.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:57 pm »

once you get iron and steel going, they go back to being a non-threat (though still annoying).

That's putting it lightly. I tried the standard vertical elevator design using TNT. After donning a full set of colored steel (which color, exactly, I don't recall), I took pretty close to zero damage on a blast that launched me 200 blocks vertically. I didn't survive the fall, however.

Well, blue and red steel are the best there is, so it's understandable, but it's really hard to make.I think you need almost every metal in the game, including rare stuff like silver/gold/platinum, plus a doing shitton of alloying (even black steel is really hard to get). Regular steel is easy to make in comparison.

By the way, i found some Lignite (coal) deposits in my game and they're freakin huge. Once you find that you're pretty much set as far as forges go. Too bad it can't be used in Bloomeries. I think that IRL, we do use mined coal in blast furnaces so it's a bit weird. Or maybe the tech to do so is close to the industrial age, which is off limits per modmaker decision.

In any event, this Lignite has magnetite veins in it, which provides me with a good supply of iron and some platinum as a smelting side-product. Good stuff.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: August 06, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »

I hate the area around Grimdale in MineZ. You can choose to enter the cesspool of Grimdale, or head north into the forest to find what looks to be promising area to loot and find NOTHING. Or head past Grimdale and get killed in the desert...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:24 pm »

Note that a bunch of TNT exploding near you is exactly the same as one TNT exploding near you due to invincibility frames. Same effect as vanilla iron armor I think.

And were caves improved so they don't only appear in the bottom of the world, at least 50 blocks below the surface? Because I don't want to bore through quite that much basically useless space to get to anything interesting. The surface has ravines but those rarely have anything of note in them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: August 07, 2012, 04:39:15 am »

And were caves improved so they don't only appear in the bottom of the world, at least 50 blocks below the surface? Because I don't want to bore through quite that much basically useless space to get to anything interesting. The surface has ravines but those rarely have anything of note in them.

Nope , it's still like that.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: August 07, 2012, 08:22:48 am »

Ok, I'm done with Terrafirmacraft.

On the surface, it was a good idea. Add more items, more processes, more metals, alloys, some cool mechanics.
But then I got to smelting ore and smithing, and... uh, I don't think I need a "bellow push" and "hammer hit" simulator / minigame.
I mean, if at least it was some cool minigame, like Puzzle Pirates. But currently it just feels like a chore.
And not even counting the bugs, where if your ore melts and you had a 1/3rd filled mold in the output slot instead of an empty one, BOTH vanish.

It takes me back to some MUD where I had to smith a dagger by heating and quenching it and hammering, with perfect timing... during 30 minutes, because it was "realistic". Obviously not quite the same thing... but a game shouldn't be like work.

I'd rather have a progress bar than that fire pit / anvil interface.

Also, making the charcoal pit vanish if you don't babysit it when it's done. Ugh.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:24:39 am by Sergius »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 07, 2012, 08:24:14 am »

I like the TFC system, I'm just waiting for it to be more complete.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2139 on: August 07, 2012, 08:24:50 am »

Yeah, there's a reason I stopped playing TFC. I didn't mind hosting a server for it, but its really not my cup of tea. They went a bit too far in the hardcore simulationist direction for me.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 07, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »

I keep getting some weird texturing artifacts when loading up the mods I enjoy. It includes everything from floating and flying textures in my inventory screen with NEI on and mobs missing bodyparts.  Really annoying the hell out of me.  No listed errors, though. It doesn't crash, but when half the stuff you're looking at starts disapearing infront of you, it makes it really hard to play.  :'(
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2141 on: August 07, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »

I keep getting some weird texturing artifacts when loading up the mods I enjoy. It includes everything from floating and flying textures in my inventory screen with NEI on and mobs missing bodyparts.  Really annoying the hell out of me.  No listed errors, though. It doesn't crash, but when half the stuff you're looking at starts disapearing infront of you, it makes it really hard to play.  :'(
sounds like an optifine issue

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 07, 2012, 09:55:25 pm »

I thought so too, but it happened even when I removed Optifine from the system; and had really bad lag spikes in the process too.  I just can't find what's reading as incompatible.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »

I had that happen when using Thaumcraft 2 with any Optifine version other than Standard.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 07, 2012, 11:04:12 pm »

Okay, this is just insane.  I'm going to list the mods I'm using, and I'm officially asking for help.  Any sort of response or insight would be awesome. Note, this is still for MC 1.2.5

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just realized thats an almost absurdly long list.  I've even dropped a few mods out recently, including the BC/IC2 crossover mod.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 326