Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976731 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #1860 on: July 18, 2012, 10:22:09 am »

My only problem with TFCraft is the lack of things to work towards once you have metal.

I hope the creator will make more content and end-game stuff to do, otherwise it's a really short-lived experience.
Exactly why I wanted to set up vanilla recipes for other mods to prolong the gaming experience. :D

I hope he'll do some more technology tiers too, but I hope it doesn't end up as a BTW type mod which is incompatible with EVARTHING!!!1

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 18, 2012, 11:03:58 am »

How does smelting even work? I cooked 11 bits of Sphalerite in a firepit using hickory until they disappeared, and nothing happened.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1862 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:51 am »

How does smelting even work? I cooked 11 bits of Sphalerite in a firepit using hickory until they disappeared, and nothing happened.
That... oh god you made me cry. That wasn't on my server was it?!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:28 am »

No, that was in my SSP world. Why, am I doing it wrong?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 18, 2012, 11:24:11 am »

Cave-in mechanics were covered by a youtube video iirc.

That's another thing I hate.  "It's all explained in this ten minute video that has about one minute of content and nine minutes of mumbling, interjections, false starts, filled pauses, rambling on about irrelevant things, making in-jokes that six people in the entire world will get, thinking up the steps on the fly, running around for prerequisite equipment/materials, and jerky screen movement.  Don't forget to turn up your volume, because I didn't normalize the sound level!"

Mmm, what else?  Oh yes, Youtube commentators are foul beasts indeed.  They're worse than the Minecraft forums, which is quite an accomplishment.

But really half the point of the mod is to figure out stuff for yourself.

Really not.  Not in my case, that is.  When I played, stuff was so obtuse and un-hinted that I would have never figured it out.  E.g. anvil recipe, including how to get smoothstone.  Or, hell, making fires, I needed wiki help on that one too.

Figuring out cave-in mechanics by risking my life?  Above and beyond all the other dangers caves have?  Does not sound like fun, guys.

The mod was DF level frustration without DF level reward.  And that's why I switched to EE+IC2, which was fun for a while.

Hmm, I am ranting today.  Sorry, I've got sore muscles and didn't get enough sleep, it's got me grumpy.

That was fun, though, right?  Right?  Trying to figure it out for yourself?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 18, 2012, 11:38:32 am »

Cave-in mechanics were covered by a youtube video iirc.

That's another thing I hate.  "It's all explained in this ten minute video that has about one minute of content and nine minutes of mumbling, interjections, false starts, filled pauses, rambling on about irrelevant things, making in-jokes that six people in the entire world will get, thinking up the steps on the fly, running around for prerequisite equipment/materials, and jerky screen movement.  Don't forget to turn up your volume, because I didn't normalize the sound level!"

Mmm, what else?  Oh yes, Youtube commentators are foul beasts indeed.  They're worse than the Minecraft forums, which is quite an accomplishment.

Maybe try watching the video before bitching about it? None of this applies. It's from the creator of the damned mod. It's under five minutes and informative.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 18, 2012, 11:59:47 am »

Maybe try watching the video before bitching about it? None of this applies. It's from the creator of the damned mod. It's under five minutes and informative.

No.  I've been burned too often.  I freakin’ hate Youtube now, for anything except background music or fan-made themed music videos.  I can read and learn at my own pace, thanks, and it's much faster than a video hands tuition to me. 

And I wasn't bitching about that video, which I have indeed never watched.  I was bitching about all the videos.  All of them.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 18, 2012, 12:16:32 pm »

Yeah, I much prefer a text tutorial to a video one.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1868 on: July 18, 2012, 12:23:13 pm »

Sorry sorry, you're right. I should have said that it is half the fun for me. Not everyone enjoys these things. :)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 18, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »

Sorry sorry, you're right. I should have said that it is half the fun for me. Not everyone enjoys these things. :)

I can and do enjoy the exploration of the problem space.  If it's reasonably well hinted.  But, TFCraft, or Minecraft itself, or Dwarf Fortress, I want (almost need) a browser with a few tabs open on wiki pages.  And TFCraft doesn't have what I'd consider a reasonable wiki.

Also, don't mind me, I'm just in a bad mood today.  Sorry about taking it out on all of you.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1870 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:08 pm »

Yeah, I much prefer a text tutorial to a video one.

Same D: Videos just take too long. Even at their best, they're restricted by the speaker's word per minute rate; too often video makers don't even bother to gather their materials before doing stuff...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:51 pm »

Yeah "And now I'm going to make a sorter" *spends the entire episode looking through chests*
*Hugs*

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 18, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »

I was asking earlier about player detectors--were the animal-based ones you mentioned basically like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hbnXDt7xsE&feature=plcp

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 18, 2012, 06:27:41 pm »

Yeah "And now I'm going to make a sorter" *spends the entire episode looking through chests*
*in an annoyingly nasally, low volume voice*
"Okay, uh, and now I'm going to show you, uh, how to ma---
Hang on, there's a creeper over there."
*spends a minute killing a family of creepers*
"Alrighty then... uh... right, making the -- hmm...
I need a crafting bench first. Hang on a minute..
Looks like I'm out of wood..."
*runs over to a forest a minute away*
*chops 1 log*
"Ah, and now my inventory is full; guess I'll need a chest too..."
*chops 2 more logs, looks through inventory for something to drop*
*drops a stick*
*creates a crafting table*
*looks for something to drop to put back in inventory*
*drops a sappling*
*deploys crafting table, makes a chest, and deploys it, fighting the stick and sapling jumping in inventory*
"Okay, uh, now to make the ...
Hang on, I left something back at camp."

Though they aren't quite as bad as programming tutorial videos where the resolution is too low to read the code. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:29:25 pm by alway »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:23 pm »

And to think that we could have avoided all that through video editing.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 326