Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976668 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #1365 on: June 04, 2012, 01:49:25 pm »

What are the differences between BC and RP2 pipes? Which one is easier to learn? I know how to use BC pipes, but I keep hearing RP2's ones are well-poised to take over everything BC does.

Also, what does the rotary macerator do compared to a regular macerator?

Rotary macerator is the macerator equivalent of the induction furnace. It starts out slow but increases speed as it processes ores or if a redstone current is applied. It's added by the Advanced Machines add-on.

The pipes are somewhat harder to answer. Ease of use really depends on if pipe mods are installed. Vanilla is pretty easy, just run pipe from here to there. In this instance, RP2 is much more powerful - the only sorting method that BC has is the diamond pipe, which I don't much care for. With the logistics pipes and additional pipes mods, I would say that you can do more with BC. Automated crafting rooms come to mind. Just take a look at Direwolf20's automated crafting setup to get an idea. You can, for instance, tell your tree farm to keep humus and saplings stocked. If you don't have any pre-made but you have all of the ingredients, an automated crafting system can create the items as they're requested.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:51:00 pm by Mephisto »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 04, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »

I use mixes of them.  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »

Managed to make my torch factory smaller (3x5x3).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Every 48 seconds (a little more time than it takes to "smelt" 8 wooden blocks) it makes 8 sticks, each 8 sticks cause a detector to pulse, each pulse makes a transposer pull a wood block into the furnace.

The only problem is you can end up with an overflow of sticks if not careful. Going to work on a better one when I've time.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 04, 2012, 02:54:43 pm »

I'm tending to use RP2 for my complicated stuff. But I prefer the cheapness of the BC basic pipes (wood, cobble, smoothstone) so I'll generally use those if I have long distances to transport stuff. (No, I don't use ender chests or teleport pipes.)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 04, 2012, 03:40:18 pm »

I prefer RP tubes to BC pipes - pipes only move single items and can overflow while tubes can move entire stacks and cannot overflow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1370 on: June 04, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »

I prefer RP tubes to BC pipes - pipes only move single items and can overflow while tubes can move entire stacks and cannot overflow.
Well no... extractor modules and wooden transport pipes powered by redstone engines only move single items but quicksort modules and the more advanced buildcraft stuff can move whole stacks, and quite quickly.

And overflow? What do you mean? Logistics pipes cannot overflow either. If they do it's a bug. They will only send an item somewhere if there is room for it. The only time an item will fall out of a pipe is if you stuff it in a logistics system by force and that system has no route for the item AND no default route. Which is your own fault really.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:52:58 pm by forsaken1111 »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1371 on: June 04, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

If you use steam or combustion engines, you can move items en massé.
Using combustion engines on a extraction pipe is generally not recommended.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1372 on: June 04, 2012, 07:50:49 pm »

Terrafirma craft question, early on, you can't make stone swords. A stone axe does fine for now, but I read about bone tools. I managed to bumrush a couple of skeletons with a stone axe and kill them, but I didn't get any bones from them? Skeletons DO still drop bones, right? I just wanna make sure they do before I keep rushing them. Using the latest version.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Got some on my fourth skeleton. Nevermind. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:01:51 pm by Seriyu »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 04, 2012, 08:40:48 pm »

I use TerraFirmaCraft too. The only weapon i have is javelins made from flint and sticks. I have bismuth and gelena. There's magnetite and cinnabar somewhere near my tunnels.

My main problem is ink. I've been searching the bottom of the sea, lakes and ponds for squid but no luck. I'm making a permanent out-post in the bottom of the sea and make glass tunnels across the bottom to light up the sea and attract squids. Hopefully I can find some and move onto the bronze age.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1374 on: June 04, 2012, 08:56:26 pm »

There's something wonderful about mentioning setting up an undersea outpost and then talking about moving on to the bronze age.  :D

Didn't know Javelins were in though. Think I'll stick to the axe now frankly, I'd like to conserve my flint.

EDIT: After being assaulted by two skeletons and a zombie, ending with me dead and my bone handled axe broken, I would like to rescind my statement.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:05:41 pm by Seriyu »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 04, 2012, 09:10:49 pm »

Javelins are weak in melee but you can throw them and pick them up again. I breaks most of the time and ca bounce back and hit you in the face at point blank.

There's a desert near by so sand is no problem, it takes a ton of charcoal to melt them in the forge and needs to be red hot. I need to expand my forge.

Maybe I'll try to grow grass in my under-sea base and add farms there. It's gonna be a pain to make using stone-age tools though. I want my damn chisel!

Edit: Can you make an enchanting table in TerraFirmaCraft?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:21:35 pm by majikero »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1376 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:12 pm »

WOW, javelin's do great damage. I can see that windup time being a problem, but that's really nice.

Also, for tin, try looking for granite. It's near the surface and has the ability to generate tin veins in it. Along with a bunch of other stuff, but.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 04, 2012, 09:25:57 pm »

I have bismuth bars ready. I just need ink for plans, that's why I'm making an under-sea base.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1378 on: June 04, 2012, 09:34:39 pm »

Oh, hurf, can't believe I forgot that already.  :o

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 04, 2012, 09:45:50 pm »

Any idea how to set up a sky-drop mob farm? Is it even worth it? Zombies drop iron right? Iron is the only thing for buckets right?
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 326