Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976566 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #1185 on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:03 am »

Also, what's a direwolf 9x9 house?
   Direwolf20 is someone who does some very popular Youtube Lets play of Minecraft using a lot of mods and he always makes his houses 9x9. Basically if you make your house 9x9 it will be seen as being in the style of Direwolf's house. I actually made the house in my own lets play a circle because I was already using the mods Direwolf was and did not want to skirt even closer to copying him.
   As for why people use it the reason is because a 9x9 house is really a good size. It leaves a 7x7 inside space which is just right for a lot of things like machines and stuff while still having room left and as mentioned is really modular. Another factor is that its the first uneven number that feels big enough while not being to big.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 23, 2012, 01:29:04 am »

Most minecraft modders are dickheads, I mean they're not even supposed to get revenue from their mods, but they're lucky Notch (and Jeb) isn't a knight templar over his copyrighted, close-sourced game, and is fine with it.

And then, they act oh so entitled with their thing that modifies the original code.

Not to mention that the Technic Pack itself is illegal, and yet the developers ask for donations.
Nononononono.

The Technic Pack does not profit from it at all, in fact KakerMix and the rest of the team pay out an absolute fuckload of money in order to keep the server they're hosting all of the mods on up, In fact they come close to something like a Terabyte of data every day.

The donation link on the Technic Pack website leads directly to donation links for all of the mods included in the pack.
*Hugs*

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 23, 2012, 01:33:21 am »

Most minecraft modders are dickheads, I mean they're not even supposed to get revenue from their mods, but they're lucky Notch (and Jeb) isn't a knight templar over his copyrighted, close-sourced game, and is fine with it.

And then, they act oh so entitled with their thing that modifies the original code.

Not to mention that the Technic Pack itself is illegal, and yet the developers ask for donations.
Nononononono.

The Technic Pack does not profit from it at all, in fact KakerMix and the rest of the team pay out an absolute fuckload of money in order to keep the server they're hosting all of the mods on up, In fact they come close to something like a Terabyte of data every day.

The donation link on the Technic Pack website leads directly to donation links for all of the mods included in the pack.

Plus, the Technic pack isn't "illegal". They make no revenue from it, like MoM said, and the mod makers who have a problem with Technic have, at best, a CC-Attribution license on their mod. It's really legally gray to copyright a modification of a copyrighted game that doesn't explicitly allow modification.

Fiskav

« Reply #1188 on: May 23, 2012, 01:39:21 am »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:53:05 am by Fiskav »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 23, 2012, 02:10:58 am »

I'm surprised nobody could make a Blutricty / EU converter without infringing anyone's copyright. Can't a mod interact with another mod without stealing any code?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 23, 2012, 02:43:31 am »

I'm surprised nobody could make a Blutricty / EU converter without infringing anyone's copyright. Can't a mod interact with another mod without stealing any code?

In the current state of affairs, this can only happen if the programmer of one mod takes extra time and effort to put 'hooks' in, to allow the other mod to use its resources.

Otherwise, the second programmer needs to decompile the first mod, change parts of it to cooperate with the second mod, and include those changes in their own package.  Crucially, the files that are changed still have the first programmer's work in them.

It's this last fact that violates copyright, giving a butt-hurt modder pretext to kill a project.

This could be gotten around by distributing only the actual deltas to the files, and a tool to apply them, similar to how MCNostalgia rolls back Minecraft itself.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:45:17 am by 0x517A5D »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 23, 2012, 02:54:18 am »

I've only ever worked on my own projects and nothing that complicated which might be why I don't understand. Don't mods contain 'hooks' to allow it's own parts to interact and for it to interact with the rest of MC?

Eloraam might have opened herself up to some problems with allowing Thaumcraft2 to have a vis to Blutricty converter. Does this not imply there are 'hooks' but they're just not public?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 23, 2012, 03:02:14 am »

I know that Industrialcraft has the ICAPI for mod developers who want to make addons, Eloraam likely has something similar, as her ToS specifically prohibits reverse engineering and distribution of her reverse engineered and illegally distributed Minecraft code.
*Hugs*

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 23, 2012, 03:23:30 am »

Nononononono.

Plus, the Technic pack isn't "illegal". They make no revenue from it, like MoM said, and the mod makers who have a problem with Technic have, at best, a CC-Attribution license on their mod. It's really legally gray to copyright a modification of a copyrighted game that doesn't explicitly allow modification.

TiL...

Thanks for clearing this up, MoM and dragonshardz.  I've seen misinformed posts on other forums saying that the Technic Pack was illegal, so it's good that I know the truth of the matter.

Well, Technic Pack was illegal, but they have since skirted away from it, and has been trying hard to get away from its infamy.

And like dragonshardz said, even if it was illegal, by definition of the modders, it still isn't illegal, since you can class all the existing mods everywhere as illegal (until mod support is implemented, I guess).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 23, 2012, 09:34:34 am »

Spoiler: UNLIMITED POWER! (click to show/hide)

Ok, so it's only 1EU/t and doesn't even generate enough power to negate my 4 machines being rolled up :P

Watermills are rediculously cheap anyway, 8 more generators and I'll have a free 1EU/t, which may not be much, but it can run indefinitely, regardless of the time of day or the weather.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:45:00 am by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1195 on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:54 am »

I'm working on a frames version which can be lowered and raised into/out of the water

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 23, 2012, 10:04:22 am »

Spoiler: Just upgraded it (click to show/hide)

I'm working on a frames version which can be lowered and raised into/out of the water
I did the same using Zeppelin mod in the past, totally hadn't thought of using frames though.

You'll need an obscene amount of generators for it to be worth the cost of the frames though, as you'll be losing some of the EU/t due to the fact that the frames obscure 3 blocks of water.

Frames could be good for raising and lowering windmills too.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1197 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:02 am »

If you ran your cable slightly differently you could probably have frames work on your current setup and only obscure 1 water between two generators.

Also does the water no longer have to be 'moving' water?

Also also, I might just set up a water feed system and toss water buckets into a bank of generators instead.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:22 am »

Still water seems to be working fine for me, and I'd considered a waterbucket based one, but I much prefer having it be totally passive, as of right now, the bank of watermills covers the cost of keeping my 4 advanced machines revved up, which means I no longer lose any energy at night.

Also, I'm pretty sure only obscuring 1 water between two is impossible, as it counts diagonally adjacent water blocks as well, so you're guaranteed to have at least two blocks per generator being covered.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1199 on: May 23, 2012, 10:17:09 am »

Still water seems to be working fine for me, and I'd considered a waterbucket based one, but I much prefer having it be totally passive, as of right now, the bank of watermills covers the cost of keeping my 4 advanced machines revved up, which means I no longer lose any energy at night.

Also, I'm pretty sure only obscuring 1 water between two is impossible, as it counts diagonally adjacent water blocks as well, so you're guaranteed to have at least two blocks per generator being covered.
I was thinking of a water feed system powered by logistics pipes that uses 3-5 buckets and just constantly cycles the water in and refills it automatically with a RP2 deployer. I've done something similar before.

When I get home I'll work on both designs and post whatever I come up with.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 326