Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976132 times)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #750 on: May 02, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »

Have you tried simply copying it over to the mods folder? It >might< just work if the block IDs aren't taken. Otherwise you're going to have to either use IDresolver or hunt down a couple unused block IDs. Oh, and you'll want to disable millenaire because it spams the creation quest message in ages.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 02, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »

Why are so many people fumbling around with technic when they could install manually all the mods they want and have no problems at all ? I mean, if it's for the sake of simplicity, i can assure you that it's much simpler to do it manually, seeing all the problems that people seem to encounter with technic.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 02, 2012, 11:09:31 pm »

short term vs long term.

most people want it installed quicker, and with good mod packs thats fine.
however most "major" mod packs are simply someone throwing an assload of popular mods together and going "HUR HUR LOOKZ WAT I MADEZ".

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 02, 2012, 11:10:49 pm »

Because then you'd have to agonizingly download each of the 50 mods you want from their respective ad.fly links.

Unrelated: I really need to automate my smelting situation... http://imgur.com/Cfn3x

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 02, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »

Rec build technic was simply flawless for me. Download, run, forget, took less than ten minutes.

Manually getting everything together and working took over two hours, multiple tutorials and carefully followed installation instructions, and a good two dozen assorted crashes. Then another hour and a half (many more crashes!) to realize I needed to force minecraft to not allocate more than 256 ram. Also had to strip out some things that just didn't bloody work, and I'm still getting the occasional annoying oddity with my current build (the technic build runs, again, flawlessly.).

So, yeah. There you go.

The dev builds are completely nonfunctional for me, though, which is why I spent a good four hours total beating the shit out of mods to get something more up to date functioning.
Because then you'd have to agonizingly download each of the 50 mods you want from their respective ad.fly links.
Also that. I now have an infinite hatred of whatever the hell adfly is, if for no reason than it took multiple reloads to get about a third of the stuff I wanted to start downloading. Violently, violently annoying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 02, 2012, 11:20:31 pm »

technic is certainly one of the more stable ones, for which they are awesome.

i was referring to major mod packs in general.
personally i believe that you will only ever find 10-20 mods that fit together thematically, so its no big deal.

however, it may just help if some modders wernt dicks and split there mod into 8 parts that are useless by themselves and linking each download to adfly.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #756 on: May 02, 2012, 11:36:31 pm »

When if comes to Technic really whether you should use it or not comes down to if you want everything they have minus stuff but not plus. You can easily set it to not include stuff but adding things can be a hassle. Also random derp moments like the forestry fiasco can happen and knock your world out of whack. I personally use mods that Technic doesn't have so its just easier for me to deal with the mods themselves rather then some of the mods and the Technic launcher. As for Adfly I personally don't mind it as most things I download on the internet tends to have a 30 second wait plus the can you read this type of thing while Adfly only has you wait 5 seconds. This of course may just be a side effect of using adblock so I don't actually ever see the Adfly ads.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 02, 2012, 11:44:46 pm »

Rec build technic was simply flawless for me. Download, run, forget, took less than ten minutes.

Manually getting everything together and working took over two hours, multiple tutorials and carefully followed installation instructions, and a good two dozen assorted crashes. Then another hour and a half (many more crashes!) to realize I needed to force minecraft to not allocate more than 256 ram. Also had to strip out some things that just didn't bloody work, and I'm still getting the occasional annoying oddity with my current build (the technic build runs, again, flawlessly.).

So, yeah. There you go.

The dev builds are completely nonfunctional for me, though, which is why I spent a good four hours total beating the shit out of mods to get something more up to date functioning.
Also that. I now have an infinite hatred of whatever the hell adfly is, if for no reason than it took multiple reloads to get about a third of the stuff I wanted to start downloading. Violently, violently annoying.

That's really weird, i can't say that i ever used 50 mods at the same time (maybe around 6-5 ?) but i've always managed to install all my mods manually with no problems at all. It doesnt take me 2 hours, and really clicking 10 links isn't hard, i also never had any issue with adfly (i have adblock so maybe that helps too). Also i never had any crash, bug or esoteric issue like having to force minecraft to allocate limited ram.

But i never tried Technic either, so i don't know, maybe technic is better, but i feel like if you have a problem with technic you should at least try manually, because it really isn't that hard.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 03, 2012, 12:06:28 am »

Could I take all the silver trees fromthaumcraft I find, deconstruct them, turn them into one huge silver tree, and still get the cleansing effect as if all the trees where there?

Yeah.

Since somebody here is pumping block ID questions, I might as well bite.

Is ID resolver essential to that blockfix thing?

In my experience, IDResolver creates more problems than it fixes.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 03, 2012, 12:15:57 am »

oh i maintain a small server and personally direct whats practically a coalition of idiots when it comes to computers in installing the same mods, however this really just means that i dont bother updating the server too often anyways so meh.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #760 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:43 am »

So, yeah. There you go.

That's really weird, i can't say that i ever used 50 mods at the same time (maybe around 6-5 ?) but i've always managed to install all my mods manually with no problems at all. It doesnt take me 2 hours, and really clicking 10 links isn't hard, i also never had any issue with adfly (i have adblock so maybe that helps too). Also i never had any crash, bug or esoteric issue like having to force minecraft to allocate limited ram.

But i never tried Technic either, so i don't know, maybe technic is better, but i feel like if you have a problem with technic you should at least try manually, because it really isn't that hard.
There's the fact that the technic launcher lets you switch between Hack Slash Mine, Technic, Tekkit, Yogbox, The Voxel Modpack, Vanilla and, if IceWolf gets permission, TerraFirma Craft.

It's also very easy to add and remove mods from Technic, most of them are located in the mods folder, just delete the ones you don't want and add the ones you do, I should know, I've removed about half of the technic mods in favour of different ones.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 03, 2012, 04:43:53 am »

Just set up a mushroom soup farm on my save, brilliant EMC creater. 70 emc per mushroom soup and 5 a second.

Saw it in Direwolfs FTB Coop video made by Eloraam

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #762 on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:11 am »

Unrelated: I really need to automate my smelting situation... http://imgur.com/Cfn3x
Hnnng...

You could automate it pretty easily if you have buildcraft and logistics pipes installed. DW20 showcased a good sorting system in episode 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlHmADmfOg&

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 03, 2012, 08:43:46 am »

Just set up a mushroom soup farm on my save, brilliant EMC creater. 70 emc per mushroom soup and 5 a second.

Saw it in Direwolfs FTB Coop video made by Eloraam

Considering that EE tries to keep everything equal in cost. Wouldn't a bowl of soup be worth the same as 2 mushrooms and a bowl? And by default 1 type of mushroom and plain wood would get you just as much EMC?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #764 on: May 03, 2012, 08:52:18 am »

You can harvest masses of mushroom soup easily using deployers and mooshrooms though.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 326