Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975652 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #540 on: April 26, 2012, 11:00:43 am »

neat idea!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:43 pm »

The Philosopher's Mine
So we all know the wonderful property sand and gravel have of breaking into their block type when they fall from one square above a torch, right? Well did you also know the philosopher's stone was capable of converting stone into dirt, which it can then convert to sand?

Simply dig underneath the area you want to excavate and blanket the ground with torches, once ready, set the philosopher's stone to transmute in a line and charge it to max. Once done, look directly up and shift-rightclick on the stone to convert it all to dirt, then stand up and pucker up, because shit's about to get scary. Once you're ready, right click on the dirt to convert it all into sand, which will proceed to cascade down around you and break on the torches, this will leave all the ores floating nicely in the open to be harvested at your leisure.

This has been a Yuuko Hayashi public service announcement.

TL;DR, use the philosopher's stone to cave sections of the cavern.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 26, 2012, 01:38:28 pm »

Cave-in dust mod, anyone?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #543 on: April 26, 2012, 01:44:36 pm »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 26, 2012, 01:50:39 pm »

I'd prefer a cave-in mod. With dust. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #545 on: April 26, 2012, 01:55:50 pm »

I'd prefer a cave-in mod. With dust. :P
TFcraft has cave-in mechanics but I doubt anyone could add good looking dust clouds to minecraft.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 26, 2012, 04:18:57 pm »

I've played a bit of TFCraft recently and the way dirt falls could use some tweaking. For instance i was exploring a surface cave and placed a torch on a dirt wall. Next thing i know, the cave was buried in dirt.

Then later i was building my house and flattening the dirt where i wanted to build, i went to get some stone and when i came back there was a big hole where i wanted my house. Turns out it was above a big underground cave/ravine. Which was now half buried in all the dirt that was above it, save for the top layer (grass on a dirt block prevent it from falling).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #547 on: April 26, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »

Then later i was building my house and flattening the dirt where i wanted to build, i went to get some stone and when i came back there was a big hole where i wanted my house. Turns out it was above a big underground cave/ravine. Which was now half buried in all the dirt that was above it, save for the top layer (grass on a dirt block prevent it from falling).
This part seems fairly realistic to me... sinkholes happen.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 26, 2012, 05:05:56 pm »

Yeah, although once you realize the falling dirt and cobble behave like vanilla gravel, it just turns into a feature you abuse to efficiently farm cobblestone :P
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #549 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:22 pm »

Yeah, although once you realize the falling dirt and cobble behave like vanilla gravel, it just turns into a feature you abuse to efficiently farm cobblestone :P
I farm cobblestone efficiently enough thanks!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #550 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:35 pm »

Actually, a minor extra rule to it is that if a block has grass on it, it will not fall. I guess because the root system is holding it up maybe? I dunno. Still an important little detail.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 27, 2012, 06:07:23 am »

Does anyone know of a standalone chunk loader mod? I don't really want to install Buildcraft + Additional Pipes to get them.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

mostlikely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 27, 2012, 06:51:07 am »

Does anyone know of a standalone chunk loader mod? I don't really want to install Buildcraft + Additional Pipes to get them.

What exactly do you want to keep chunks loaded for? If I'm not mistaken in SP chunks will load around the player and stay loaded untill you stop your game. For MP chunks without a player near them will unload after some time.

I know railcraft has a new world-anchor block and world-anchor cart, which both function as chunk loaders. I don't think here are any stand-alone mods however.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 27, 2012, 08:45:33 am »

I like to go out exploring but would like my machines to keep running while I'm gone. At most I'll be keeping 3/4 extra chunks loaded.

Thank you for suggesting Railcraft. I'll have to look into it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 27, 2012, 09:05:57 am »

The railcraft World Anchor is much better than the Buildcraft chunkloader anyway.
The Buildcraft chunkloader didn't automatically reload chunks after you logged in, so you had to manually visit each chunk to bring it back into memory, it also used a much less efficient method than the world anchor.

Also, railcraft is beast.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 326