Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975448 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2012, 05:23:55 pm »

A couple of people asked about inch-worm drives in the MC forum thread and so I posted my current prototype and figure I should post it here too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »

Close beta for IC2 1.2.5. ! well no release adte but at least its news! http://www.industrial-craft.net/
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #407 on: April 21, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »

So I just started playing terrafirma craft and WOW, complex doesn't say the half of it. I'm still having a hard time comprehending how I'm going to make a house.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »

I recall, six or eight months ago, running across a mod that let you 'micro-size' redstone circuitry, such that a single block could be made to have an 8x8 grid of miniaturized redstone wiring.

Does anyone remember the name of that mod?  Is it compatible with Redpower2?  (I assume it's not, but it would sure be nice.)

Little Blocks Mod

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 21, 2012, 07:58:43 pm »

I do wish it had been finished. I really want a good space mod, one with all the bells and whistles.
*Hugs*

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 21, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »

Does anyone know if this is a feature or a bug: redstone tubes only conduct over a short distance now like redstone dust does?

If it's a feature then it's really hindering my quarry.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 21, 2012, 09:49:54 pm »

More and more, Redpower2 is encroaching on other mods' functionality.

Tubes, power cables, power producers and consumers, an enhanced crafting table.
Eloraam creates her own version of some mod functionality because either:

1. She dislikes the way they implemented that function.
2. She wants to use the function in a way that the original mod doesn't allow. (Attaching tubes to frames, for example)

I have no problem with some mods duplicating functionality. They each have their quirks and uses. Also I happen to think redpower's version of some of these 'duplicated' features are far more useful.
And don't forget 3: She wants her mod to be functional WITHOUT other mods.

Take tubes for example. They are essential to what redpower is supposed to be for, and will become more and more so. This gives her two choices. Either 1: force everyone who plays to install Buildcraft. or 2: Custom build something somewhat similar, that is not only integrated into redpower directly but also works better with it's machines.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:06 pm »

I recall, six or eight months ago, running across a mod that let you 'micro-size' redstone circuitry, such that a single block could be made to have an 8x8 grid of miniaturized redstone wiring.

Does anyone remember the name of that mod?  Is it compatible with Redpower2?  (I assume it's not, but it would sure be nice.)

Little Blocks Mod

Thanks!  And it says Modloader-compatible, and there's a 1.2.5 unofficial update.  And that thread reminded me of Kaevator's Slopes.  If I can get Little Blocks to play well with Redpower2, I'll see if I can throw in Slopes.

EDIT:
Quote from: bigstiffy in the Little Blocks thread
I've been testing little blocks with a few different mods and have had mixed results with compatibility. Buildcraft for the most part works, at least the engines and pumps work, only issue is anything that isn't an engine the texture is a mashup of vanilla minecraft textures, as well as the pipes being completely messed up, but it IS functional. Had a mini-pump draining a small body of water and filling up a tank with it, but whatever water block was removed there would be a little blocks block in it's place, kind of interesting (even the engine GUIs were functional!). I tested out redpower2 which showed that some wires could only connect in one direction or on a corner, and that GUIs for integrated circuits didn't function, but everything else seemed normal. I recently tried testing industrialcraft2 and while some of the static blocks could be placed on a little blocks block, generators or any kind of machinery would cause the game to crash, kind of sad, I was hoping to see a tiny 1-block nuclear reactor destroy an entire 100block radius.

I have no problem with some mods duplicating functionality. They each have their quirks and uses. Also I happen to think redpower's version of some of these 'duplicated' features are far more useful.
And don't forget 3: She wants her mod to be functional WITHOUT other mods.

Take tubes for example. They are essential to what redpower is supposed to be for, and will become more and more so. This gives her two choices. Either 1: force everyone who plays to install Buildcraft. or 2: Custom build something somewhat similar, that is not only integrated into redpower directly but also works better with it's machines.

I'm not down on her about it, exactly.  I do think that her implementations are cleaner and more general, in most cases.  (Except I sure don't like having 500 separate recipes to slice blocks into pieces.  Make a machine that can slice up any block, plz? k thx bai.)

It just strikes me that there's a lot of duplication of effort in the MC mod community, and she's one of the worst offenders.  And there's only limited interoperability between the pieces of the major mods.  It's far from ideal.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:33:11 pm by 0x517A5D »

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 21, 2012, 10:09:29 pm »

So... wow. I had played vanilla for quite a long time, but I was intrigued by TFCraft. After going through the pain of getting everything set up (it's really been a long time :b), I started. I stumbled around, confused, hitting random things until I managed to craft my first tool. I felt raw power, there in my hands. From there, it's all been uphill. It's amazing how intuitive the mod is, while maintaining the DF-style Fun of learning new things.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 21, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »

Wasn't there a moon mod?

I think that is the secret project for IC2, a space dimension.

April Fools Jokes
Posted on April 1, 2012 by Alblaka

People started flaming me for stealing FutureCrafts idea.

It was a goddamn April Fools Joke, get down again.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 21, 2012, 10:23:08 pm »

redpower 2 pr5 also has simple computers now... seemingly making all of her redpower logic circuits completely obsolete. Good job Eloraam. Not to say that the logic circuits can't still be used, but why would I spend hours crafting out parts and logic circuits and trying to make them all fit neatly into whatever I want them to work in if I have a computer and can just do the same thing in a few quick keystrokes?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 21, 2012, 11:25:08 pm »

Because for most purposes logic circuits are simpler and take up much less space? Because a working computer requires upwards of 10 diamonds? Because you don't know how to program in FORTH?

A computer taking the place of logic circuits is going to need a disk drive, monitor, CPU, and IO expander. That's four blocks, and none of them can be hidden under covers or placed on a wall.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:28:12 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 21, 2012, 11:25:41 pm »

Is the computer programmable, as in you type code to do stuff?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 21, 2012, 11:59:33 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb0Q9htsbBI

This covers the basics of the computers, but simple answer, yes. You can program your own computers in a language called forth. It's an emulated 6502 processor with a custom written, but very simple OS.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 22, 2012, 01:58:59 am »

This covers the basics of the computers, but simple answer, yes. You can program your own computers in a language called forth. It's an emulated 6502 processor with a custom written, but very simple OS.

OMG, Forth?  Seriously?

Forth is an oddball among computer languages.  It is hard to wrap your head around.  In fact, I'd say that the only languages harder to understand-in-depth are those that are deliberately designed that way, like INTERCAL or Brainfuck.  Forth (arguably) even has the equivalent of INTERCAL's COME FROM instruction.

Wow.  Forth.  The only reason to choose Forth is that it's fairly easy to get up and running from bare metal.  Problem is, Forth is a dual-stack language, and the 6502 has a single stack, and a dinky one at that.  And the 6502 has only three general-purpose registers.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 326