Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975176 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4620 on: November 30, 2013, 02:59:06 am »

I'm pretty sure OpenPeripherals lets you wrap a turtle teleporter as a peripheral.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: November 30, 2013, 03:02:03 am »

Yea but you only get the .teleport() function. You can't actually make a turtle link two teleporters together, can you?

If you wanted to make a viral stream of turtles from space, you would pretty much need somebody to open invasion points manually.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4622 on: November 30, 2013, 07:27:12 am »

's not really a grey goo scenario if it's contained.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4623 on: November 30, 2013, 07:34:42 am »

I'd love to have a script for turtles which told them to mine a specific area to bedrock and return the materials. Or one which simply made them mine EVERYTHING outside of a certain radius from the start location.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: November 30, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »

Max, make a small, contained grey goo thing.
That would be tricky. Many automation methods depend on having a set facility down, a single turtle able to go all grey goo might be possible, but not easy.
It might however be possible to build an entire facility that self replicates itself using turtles, but that doesn't qualify as small.

I'd love to have a script for turtles which told them to mine a specific area to bedrock and return the materials. Or one which simply made them mine EVERYTHING outside of a certain radius from the start location.
Not only is such a script pretty easy to do, I'm pretty sure it comes built in with the Computercraft files. Just make a mining turtle, place him with him back to a chest and run "excavate X" where x is the width and length of the hole you want to dig and the little guy will go down to bedrock. Also stock him up on coal, that is important.

Some of the first and most useful programs I made had to do with mining and building. For example one that would cause the turtle to dig in a straight line for a given distance, making a two block high hole, with the option of having it place a block under it. Very useful for laying tracks and pipes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: November 30, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »

a whole world made of turtles
My god.. the lag that would cause. D:

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4626 on: November 30, 2013, 10:29:37 pm »

Not only is such a script pretty easy to do, I'm pretty sure it comes built in with the Computercraft files. Just make a mining turtle, place him with him back to a chest and run "excavate X" where x is the width and length of the hole you want to dig and the little guy will go down to bedrock. Also stock him up on coal, that is important.
The excavate command is extremely limited in what it can do and only a single turtle can use it without all of them getting confused or (lol) mining each other.

I said I wanted one to handle multiple turtles to mine a specified area or everything except a specific area. Like "mine the world beyond 64 tiles from x,y". Ideally successfully mined coordinates would be stored and somehow communicated so that the turtles all get individual assignments from the central computer.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:25 pm »

Ah I see. Well that would certainly be possible.
Although you could in theory have the turtles talk to each other to achieve this task, a top down approach would be ideal. Like you said, coordinate the force with a central server, although the server itself could be a turtle that just hovers over the current site issuing orders, allowing it to move around with the rest. That way it would stay in range of them all and you could pretty easily use rednet communication.

A single queen turtle, if you will, equip with a chunk loader to keep everything running, and a mining force of drones. The only question is how to handle a drop off point for everything they mine...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4628 on: November 30, 2013, 10:41:19 pm »

The only question is how to handle a drop off point for everything they mine...
Hell, if you can provide the code I can build you a system that will route and store the mined material. That is EASY. I'll even set it up to build more turtles if you can get them programmed automatically when placed to join the swarm.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: November 30, 2013, 10:46:56 pm »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: November 30, 2013, 10:49:17 pm »

Automatic programming is easy. Computers and turtles choose to boot from a disk before their internal startup, so if your automation process places them next to a disk drive that copies over the needed scripts then runs one... Although that raises a good point, can you automate turning a turtle on? I don't know yet, I should test it out.

Anyway, the problem with item collection isn't so much the transport, there are pipes and carts that can easily move things over long distance. The problem is the ever moving collection point. Setting up a single static point won't work, as the workers will just move away from it. An ender chest might work though... Hmm.

Well this is going to keep me occupied until the fourth, when Starbound comes out and I forget all about my turtle hive.

Edit:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/15583-swarm-miner-quarry-up-where-you-want-version-20/
Computercraft forum is your friend. :)
Well, looks like somebody beat me to the punch!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4632 on: November 30, 2013, 10:53:05 pm »

Anyway, the problem with item collection isn't so much the transport, there are pipes and carts that can easily move things over long distance. The problem is the ever moving collection point. Setting up a single static point won't work, as the workers will just move away from it. An ender chest might work though... Hmm.
An enderchest might work but I imagine the throughput would eventually cap out due to the number of slots it has. Once you are putting in more than you are taking out (thinking exponential growth of turtleswarm) then you will eventually build up to full. I've had this happen running 6-7 quarries through an enderchest outputting to an AE system.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: November 30, 2013, 10:56:55 pm »

Item tesseracts would work. Give them a shiny and they keep their settings. Moving it would be a bit of a problem though... You'd need to have another turtle with a crescent hammer.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: November 30, 2013, 11:00:48 pm »

An enderchest might work but I imagine the throughput would eventually cap out due to the number of slots it has. Once you are putting in more than you are taking out (thinking exponential growth of turtleswarm) then you will eventually build up to full. I've had this happen running 6-7 quarries through an enderchest outputting to an AE system.
I haven't played with applied energistics yet but I understand it could be a possible solution... I'll look into the mod and exactly what it can do. Right now I just have it installed, waiting to be useful.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 326