Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975844 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3990 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:05 am »

If I ran a TFC server based off the tekkit "pack" system, who'd be interested in playing? It'd be whitelist by request.

It's extremely easy to install and keep updated...

If there's interest, I'll run a test server for for a few hours.

Hell yeah, that would be awesome! Please whitelist me.

Same here. I don't know anything about TFC though.
It takes vanilla minecraft and makes it super hard for the first 3-5 days, and then its pretty much normal minecraft with extra rules.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:34 am »

If I ran a TFC server based off the tekkit "pack" system, who'd be interested in playing? It'd be whitelist by request.

It's extremely easy to install and keep updated...

If there's interest, I'll run a test server for for a few hours.

Hell yeah, that would be awesome! Please whitelist me.

Same here. I don't know anything about TFC though.
It takes vanilla minecraft and makes it super hard for the first 3-5 days, and then its pretty much normal minecraft with extra rules.

Wouldn't say that; especially now that a major rework towards making Stone Age more Stone Age and less Early Medieval.

TFC is a DF-inspired (INSPIRED, mind you, in it's approach to the world) Minecraft mod that aims to make things more realistic-ish and pretty much harder without artificially buffing enemies.

It features:

- DF-style geology with many different stone types of differing hardness;

- a logic minigame-style Smithing (there is a bar that moves to the left or the right with 4 actions for moving it to either extreme; you want to move it in a specific spot on the right from the starting position and you must follow a item-specific laws; i.e. to make a pickaxe head you smith it however you want, but the last three actions must be Light Hit)

- much extended early game (Stone Age, since it's before you get the first metal tool) - cue forsaken's comment

- a seasons system (now it snows in winter again, whee!), and Equator and North and South poles (+ and - 10 000 blocks away, so space is a non-issue. Jungles generate in hotter climates, e.g. closer to Equator, and Poles are covered in Permafrost

- expanded farming, with soil nutrients enforcing crop rotation

- reworked Health bar (much bigger, but the damage is scaled so that when unarmored you lose the same amount of health; armor decreases that) along with Hunger and Thirst bars

- I probably terrified you enough at that point. Whee!

Also, it can be run via a launcher made by the creator of MultiMC, so you don't need to bother with messing with the .jars or juggling installations, and includes all the mods you need to run it. It's also really damn fun. Expedition to the Pole, anyone?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3992 on: May 07, 2013, 07:09:09 am »

What I said was based on my experience with the mod. If there have been changes, that's cool. None of that stuff was in when I played with it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: May 07, 2013, 07:20:04 am »

What I said was based on my experience with the mod. If there have been changes, that's cool. None of that stuff was in when I played with it.

Ah, that might explain it. I, too, played that mod a while ago before I really got into it, and it was pretty bare-bones then. You had to download three files and install two of them into the .jar and run a proper texturepack, the only way to get early tools was using Flint (now you collect stones lying on the ground, now with variable sizes, and knap them into tool heads), and it was generally Vanilla with  new Stone types and some early tool gimmicks.

Also, some cool things I forgot to mention:

Cook and Leatherworker are completely viable and important jobs.

So is Stone- and Woodcrafter/worker, which can lead to creations like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3994 on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:11 am »

Neat.

So PTTG when is this server going up? And will it include smart moving? I love smart moving.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:34 am »

Neat.

So PTTG when is this server going up? And will it include smart moving? I love smart moving.

Who Dosn't?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:56 am »

Neat.

Who Dosn't?

Fun Fact: Smart Moving retains most of it's usability even if the server does not have it. You cannot crawl under blocks, yes, the server goes 'You are 2 blocks high mister, you don't fit.'

Although when it comes to additional mods, it would be interesting to test out Simply Horses with TFC Support enabled (another fun fact, Simply Horses' developer(-ess? she's female) is now part of TFC team to add proper TFC horses).

But, all that is making it harder to maintain the server. The priority for me is playing TFC with other Bay12ers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3997 on: May 07, 2013, 08:45:14 am »

Horses + horsecarts would be excellent. :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: May 07, 2013, 08:50:26 am »

Horses + horsecarts would be excellent. :P

Yeah, I want to make my polar expedition a bit more expedition-y now that the polar region is more polar-y (when the mod moved from .jar based to mod-folder based, there was a bug or something that prevented snowing at sub-zero temperatures; it would rain instead, removing the snow already present. The move coincided with the addition of the Poles. *facepalm*

So, my polar expedition, started in November, ended up with seeing the pole melted by the scorching hot November sun ;_;. Though like I said, it's now fixed.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: May 07, 2013, 12:49:19 pm »

Sounds pretty neat.
I did used to play TFC but I found the whole installation a bit clunky, and then the actual gameplay was clunky enough that I was kind of sick of it after the whole process.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: May 07, 2013, 01:00:39 pm »

Sounds pretty neat.
I did used to play TFC but I found the whole installation a bit clunky, and then the actual gameplay was clunky enough that I was kind of sick of it after the whole process.

Well, you have been playing on nate's server last Fall, and there was not much of a revolution ever since. Seasons and farming are fixed, construction got sorta expanded upon, installation is mostly dirt-simple (it's pretty much the same as installing vanilla MC: just log in and let the game download everything it needs) but if you had a big problem with the gameplay itself, I fear you might not be satisfied.

Not that I'm going to discourage you from trying, though!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4001 on: May 07, 2013, 01:17:44 pm »

If I were designing it, first things first, I'd make buckets fill barrels in one trip. No need for busywork going back and forth twelve times. Also, I'd make ores a little bit more common in proportion to gems when it comes to panning. I've got a dozen gems of various types so far, and half that in ores... and I've mainly been sluicing gravel!

Also, I'd make it possible to kill animals with your bare hands. Wow, that sounds creepy when I write it out... but still, it's odd.

The other thing I'd change is I'd make leaf blocks drop things as normal when they vanish. Currently, unless you manually clear away a leaf block, it doesn't drop anything all.

Those are the only real annoyances I've had so far.

I really do like the way it makes dirt and cobblestone "flow". It makes it so that construction requires some finesse.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: May 07, 2013, 01:41:24 pm »

If I were designing it, first things first, I'd make buckets fill barrels in one trip. No need for busywork going back and forth twelve times. Also, I'd make ores a little bit more common in proportion to gems when it comes to panning. I've got a dozen gems of various types so far, and half that in ores... and I've mainly been sluicing gravel!

Also, I'd make it possible to kill animals with your bare hands. Wow, that sounds creepy when I write it out... but still, it's odd.

The other thing I'd change is I'd make leaf blocks drop things as normal when they vanish. Currently, unless you manually clear away a leaf block, it doesn't drop anything all.

Those are the only real annoyances I've had so far.

I really do like the way it makes dirt and cobblestone "flow". It makes it so that construction requires some finesse.

I suppose hauling water back and forth is intentional, to make barrels more expensive.

As for construction, yeah, no dirt houses for you (although clay houses will possibly be included in the aforemented Stone Age expansion - also, current tier 1 metals will be scrapped due to realism (the ores have a much higher melting point IRL). Stone Bricks are reliable but REEEEEEAAALLY expensive and time-consuming now, so proper stonework shows you have some real medieval swag.

If you need to build anything, wood is the way to go, and since you can do Woodworking now and place single Planks, it's probably going to be the go-to material for your early windows (as trellis; it's actually more practical than Glass, since you can attack mobs through it) and decorations.

Animals are killable bare-handed, it's just an enormous waste of time when you can grab a piece of stone and knap a knife out of it. Also, keep in mind that Sheep are now a valid food source.

As a note to those who played TFC before, knapping was changed to open upon right-clicking with at least two rocks in your hand.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: May 08, 2013, 12:30:22 pm »

Cant wait to play on it! Hope people dosnt join just to lonewolf.. (please use SP for that)
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: May 08, 2013, 12:41:50 pm »

Cant wait to play on it! Hope people dosnt join just to lonewolf.. (please use SP for that)
Also, I hope the expedition leader will keep him/herself from demanding mandating a throne room right off the bat.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 326