Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975083 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3585 on: January 14, 2013, 05:00:53 pm »

A modpack? Well, I don't think so, unless you download this and apply some various herbs and spices, because it's pretty much just a terrain generator.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:02:39 pm by FritzPL »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3586 on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:18 am »

I just played the FTB modpack. After spending almost a month non-stop, I found myself becoming bored with the game (as I did with vanilla). While walking through a wasteland biome, I thought "Hey, this looks exactly like a post-apocalyptic biome. Wait a minute...". And here I am, wondering if there's a good, extensive apocalypse mod/modpack out there. I know it won't be as large as FTB, but something that gives the game a realistic 'end of the world' feel would be most appreciated.

There's the thirst mod to start off with Combined with any biome generators short of water and it'd make survival much harsher.

Will hunt for more when I get home from work.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3587 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:50 am »

Also there are a few mods to disable infinite water. Definitely makes it a bit harder...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:20 am »

Also there are a few mods to disable infinite water. Definitely makes it a bit harder...
Not to mention all the lag (if you're thinking of the same mod as me).

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: January 15, 2013, 01:58:33 pm »

there is the finite water mod, and there are several mods that just disable infinite-water from two source blocks feature.  Still can use a glass bottle just fine, but you will run out of water if you don't have a ocean nearby...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: January 15, 2013, 03:20:32 pm »

there is the finite water mod, and there are several mods that just disable infinite-water from two source blocks feature.  Still can use a glass bottle just fine, but you will run out of water if you don't have a ocean nearby...
Sadly not forge compatible from what I remember.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3591 on: January 15, 2013, 05:51:25 pm »

Not to mention all the lag (if you're thinking of the same mod as me).
I... doubt it. I'm just talking about one to remove infinite water sources (ie, 2 adjacent water source blocks spawn a new one) not converting the entire water system into a finite capacity.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:17 am »

One that prevents picking up sourceblocks too. So if you want to irrigate your farm you need to either build it next to water, or set up an aqueduct.
My cabbages!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: January 17, 2013, 09:27:26 am »

One that prevents picking up sourceblocks too. So if you want to irrigate your farm you need to either build it next to water, or set up an aqueduct.

Aqueducts would be badass, but sadly minecraft doesn't have much realism regarding water and elevations.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: January 17, 2013, 09:29:44 am »

If you find a high enough water source it works fine, I often bring water down from the mountains to feed my thirsty plants.
My cabbages!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: January 17, 2013, 09:32:08 am »

Bleh, that's with infinite water. Don't mind me though, I'm asking for a stupid amount of realism that probably can't be implemented.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: January 17, 2013, 09:33:07 am »

Yeah, the actual finite water thing is nice, but really laggy. Still, disabling infinite sourceblock generation goes a long way to helping, especially if you're using a mod that requires a lot of water.
My cabbages!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:10 am »

Given the way chunkloading mechamics and hte like work; I wouldn't even consider trying to do anything with finite water systems.  You'd drain your area of the map dry over time, and then whenever new chunks are loaded there would be hendously massive lag as the new water levels try to balance themselves out.  It makes me shudder just thinking about it.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:42 am »

A good approach for long term finite water would be to make changes in water levels at chunk borders temporary load adjacent chunks to balance water with.* Also rainfall should replenish not full water tiles and puddles should evaporate a-la DF. (Creating new puddles of finite water where there were none by rain can be really laggy and is unnecessary.)

It is not technically that hard to make large bodies of [finite] water stable over long periods of time and not create too much lag with rain and some flowing water.

*If Minecraft had rivers with actual changes in water levels - using DF approach once more should work for not loading the whole river into memory. Water tiles at the border of loaded chunks could be temporary marked as permanent water sources/drains. River heads and natural springs should receive special treatment though.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: January 17, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »

Yeah, the DF approach seems to be the best so far...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 326