Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 974838 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3210 on: October 30, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »

Installing Minecraft mods seems easy from this side. But for somebody new to the whole deal? It involves processes one usually doesn't involve themself with, unzipping a java file to drop in folders while deleting a specific folder each time and increasingly having to manage other folders in the .minecraft folder for various mods and mod systems. This also comes with hunting down various versions of API things like Forge and Modloader, both of which have had slightly funky sites/threads in the past.

You don't have to unzip anything (okay, so you have to unzip/unrar the mod itself. still... some of them you drop in mod folder, still zipped.). Install one program, winrar, and open the minecraft.jar file. Delete meta-inf folder. Drop files in. Close winrar. Done. DONE! Yes, it is version specific. You might actually have to compare "1.3.2" to "1.4.2" and think, "Hmm. Are these numbers the same or different? Hmm."

People that can't do this need to learn how to use a computer. This is extremely basic in "home computer" and "operating system" usage.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:44:08 pm by BigD145 »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: October 30, 2012, 12:49:01 pm »

That's even worse than what you think I'm saying! People regularly simply unzip files, generally they don't open up java files to drop stuff in. And some mods don't play nice if you don't drop them in through the right order. And sometimes the META.inf folder adds itself back in after deleting it. And Modloader is still in an insufferable thread for something most mods use. And if there is an ID conflict then fuck all.

This is more crap than anybody needs to deal with. It can be figured out with time, but this isn't a thing people should be taking time to deal with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3212 on: October 30, 2012, 12:53:59 pm »

Point being, today's mods have very clear and easy instructions which take almost no foreknowledge to use. The worst you may have to do is resolve an ID conflict, which is easy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: October 30, 2012, 12:56:48 pm »

Point being, today's mods have very clear and easy instructions which take almost no foreknowledge to use. The worst you may have to do is resolve an ID conflict, which is easy.
I disagree. Java errors tend to be kinda vague.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3214 on: October 30, 2012, 12:58:27 pm »

I disagree. Java errors tend to be kinda vague.
I only get java errors when I derp and install the wrong version of a mod.

If an ID conflict came along, I'd have no clue how to deal with it.
Change the ID of that block in the config file for that mod to something that isn't used. You have a range of 4000 IDs afterall.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: October 30, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »

It's really not hard to get NEI installed first and dump a list of free block IDs before you put any mods in. That's how you deal with id conflicts.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3216 on: October 30, 2012, 01:01:06 pm »

And what if that mod lacks a config which allows you to change them?
Or has certain hardcoded ID values. I recently had to recompile Mo' Creatures to get a conflict between it and Buildcraft fixed, because neither would allow me to reassign the ID.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3217 on: October 30, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »

And what if that mod lacks a config which allows you to change them?
Or has certain hardcoded ID values. I recently had to recompile Mo' Creatures to get a conflict between it and Buildcraft fixed, because neither would allow me to reassign the ID.
Buildcraft has a config file... I don't know about Mo' Creatures. I KNOW buildcraft does.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: October 30, 2012, 01:05:35 pm »

It lacked the ID for Pipe Waterproofing in the version I was using.
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3219 on: October 30, 2012, 01:08:21 pm »

It lacked the ID for Pipe Waterproofing in the version I was using.
What version was that? I just looked at my BC for 1.3.2 and it has "pipeWaterproof.id=3809"

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:47 pm »

Somewhere back in 1.2.5, I don't know if it's in the latest version or not since I started using IDResolver.
The point is, sometimes everything just doesn't work out perfectly, and even I've gotten sick of jumping through hoops to install mods, and I'd like to consider myself at least semi computer literate :P
My cabbages!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:16 pm »

That's even worse than what you think I'm saying! People regularly simply unzip files, generally they don't open up java files to drop stuff in. And some mods don't play nice if you don't drop them in through the right order. And sometimes the META.inf folder adds itself back in after deleting it. And Modloader is still in an insufferable thread for something most mods use. And if there is an ID conflict then fuck all.

I have never seen the meta-inf folder just add itself back in. Only an update resets the jar. Adding files into the jar is the opposite of unzipping. That's it. It's that simple. If you can drag out you can drag in.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3222 on: October 31, 2012, 05:05:41 am »

The latest version of forge I believe has a meta-inf folder in it to overwrite the default one and remove the whole "I forgot to remove meta-inf" problem.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3223 on: October 31, 2012, 09:49:00 am »

My feelings as of lately:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3224 on: October 31, 2012, 09:53:38 am »

My feelings as of lately:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Honestly I understand the problem having watched Direwolf's ongoing LP series. Eloraam has been working very hard to get things working for the 1.3x/1.4x versions but a LOT of stuff was broken by the changes. She hacked in a 'working' version for their server and DW couldn't even place microblocks at first, it was pretty bad. It is coming together, and he's showcased some of the new Tier 3 stuff she has in, but its still fairly rough. Shouldn't be too long though.

Also the thaumcraft stuff looks amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 326