Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975768 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2655 on: August 25, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »

Really, stop knocking Eloraam. She may follow the general jerkish undercurrent of the Minecraft modding culture, but from what I've seen she is way better than a lot of modders. If you have to slam whiny MC modders, do it; I wholeheartedly agree; but don't single Eloraam out.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 25, 2012, 02:26:22 pm »

Well, not like you can stop people from looking...

And what's with the heatstone mod? How can it convert energy? Because it looks neat.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: August 25, 2012, 02:29:23 pm »

It is a cobblestone-derived item that can be smelted into a furnace fuel, ensuring that anything capable of smelting can produce it and anything capable of burning furnace fuel can consume it. This would allow it to convert from (but not to) Bluetricity.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: August 25, 2012, 02:39:16 pm »

Inb4: Eloraam makes her mod break all mod fuel types in other mods
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 25, 2012, 02:46:38 pm »

Really, stop knocking Eloraam. She may follow the general jerkish undercurrent of the Minecraft modding culture, but from what I've seen she is way better than a lot of modders. If you have to slam whiny MC modders, do it; I wholeheartedly agree; but don't single Eloraam out.
She has a completely valid reason for developers everywhere that we have seen every single time a game like this has come up. The project forks the fuck out. Infiniminer was overrun by the private builds people made. Minecraft is being surpassed for a lot of people by mods. Somebodies energy converter will be more popular than the one she develops. Updated your mod? Nobody will check it out until all the extra junk like power converters update. This has already happened to Buildcraft; Why use Buildcraft in multiplayer if you don't have Logictics Pipes yet?

She even goes beyond reasonable doubt to confirm that she specifically has plans for such devices. The only issue with her approach is impatience on the part of the players.

I'm fine with lumping her in with the general modding culture on the MC forums. She has enough attachments there to validate such a complaint. Singling her out and calling her a cunt goes beyond reasonability into hate speech.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2660 on: August 25, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

See, I don't see why it's a problem that X's Power Converters are more popular than hers if it brings more enjoyment to the end user, that's what's important. It's a game, the whole point is to have fun playing it, mods allow you to customise that experience the way you want to.

Just going "No, you cannot create a utility for this which would make everyone enjoy it more because I plan on making my own" is directly harming the end user for the sake of what?

Also, I totally agree on just straight up namecalling and insults being rediculous. I still respect her as a far better developer than I am, and much more successful.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 25, 2012, 03:27:48 pm »

Busy writing Industrial Ages~ (working title, SteamCraft already exists :( )

Currently writing the IndustrialAgesCore module, it has to provide so much functionality that a huge chunk of it will have to be in place before I can even test it (including a GUI builder). Whatever, I can handle that.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 25, 2012, 03:38:44 pm »

Just going "No, you cannot create a utility for this which would make everyone enjoy it more because I plan on making my own" is directly harming the end user for the sake of what?
For the sake of not harming the end user. Read the post above. Addons that depend on someone else's code are all fun and games until the previous code updates. It's annoying enough having to wait for forge to update, imagine having to wait for Forge, then Redpower and then all the Redpower addons every server has become dependent on. It'll also cause issues if someone's addon turns out to be exactly what Eloraam had in mind, and we all know how the MC community reacts to people releasing similar stuff.

Redpower simply isn't finished, and Eloraam doesn't want people finishing it for her by coding their own versions of unfinished features. She's mentioned releasing a Redpower API in one of her blog posts, if I recall correctly, but not until the mod is actually done.

Some of her reasons remind me of a certain amphibian developer we all know who doesn't want to provide an interface API just yet.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2663 on: August 25, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

Except, I'd rather wait for my power converters mod to update to the latest version of Redpower than have nothing at all until one is officially implemented. And Redpower is popular enough that adding in something that someone else had done would be viewed as an honour by that person, in all likelyness.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 25, 2012, 04:03:18 pm »

Except, I'd rather wait for my power converters mod to update to the latest version of Redpower than have nothing at all until one is officially implemented. And Redpower is popular enough that adding in something that someone else had done would be viewed as an honour by that person, in all likelyness.
But then Elo's code will be tarnished! And believe me, it's totally unnerving to have just a tiny bit of foreign code in your otherwise self-coded project. And if Elo rewrites the code herself, then she won't give credits, and the power converter mod author will sit there with obsolete code, but no credits.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 25, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »

But then Elo's code will be tarnished! And believe me, it's totally unnerving to have just a tiny bit of foreign code in your otherwise self-coded project. And if Elo rewrites the code herself, then she won't give credits, and the power converter mod author will sit there with obsolete code, but no credits.

And what's wrong with any of that?

Getting unnerved about such a  thing is pointless. She said she was going to make her own converter herself right? Why should she give credit to this modder? Did he ask/is asking for credit? If he didn't care about credit would this all be about Elo just not wanting people to touch her stuff?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 25, 2012, 04:20:44 pm »

Then that's the problem of the converter mod author. If they're willing to make a mod to work with other people's then they have the responsibility of having a mod that they know will become obsolete.
But somebody was willing to do that, it seems petty to force them to take it down.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 25, 2012, 04:27:37 pm »

Some of her reasons remind me of a certain amphibian developer we all know who doesn't want to provide an interface API just yet.

there is a pretty big difference between not providing stable API and actually going to shut down people building upon your code:

last time I checked, both dfhack and therapist where alive and well.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 25, 2012, 04:45:44 pm »

(I think he's talking about said amphibian dev not going open source)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 25, 2012, 05:02:10 pm »

(I think he's talking about said amphibian dev not going open source)
(I think he's talking about Eloraam expressly prohibiting the usage of the internals of her work, in opposition to (amphibian developer) permitting that)

Also, the easiest way to take down extensions is still to implement them yourself.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:04:38 pm by MagmaMcFry »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 326