Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976314 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2295 on: August 17, 2012, 11:08:58 am »

Dibs on creating the next 20 Minecraft threads!
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 17, 2012, 11:14:23 am »

Back to the mods (just in time), I'm very likely about to create a "smart move" api for turtle.  This would work by recording the changes in direction and position so that it could keep an internal memory of where it was, compared to its start location, or compared to any position where you reset the data.  To use it, you'd need to include a few variables in your turtle to store the location, but that's the easy part.

Anyone interested?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2297 on: August 17, 2012, 11:17:19 am »

Back to the mods (just in time), I'm very likely about to create a "smart move" api for turtle.  This would work by recording the changes in direction and position so that it could keep an internal memory of where it was, compared to its start location, or compared to any position where you reset the data.  To use it, you'd need to include a few variables in your turtle to store the location, but that's the easy part.

Anyone interested?
Absolutely, it would be handy for any number of applications. Would you be including a rudimentary pathing system as well, to get to a specified location and such?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 17, 2012, 11:23:52 am »

So, Bat-Horse with a Skeleton riding it, I decided that staying in my house forever is actually a pretty good idea after all.
Tits Pic or GTFO.

:)

I was almost going to say "Thats Underage" but then i realised many points not worth mentioning here since it would make this discussion very awkward.
The skeleton was underage? :P

But seriously...

1. I was kidding.
2. She's not underage.
3. I was making fun of the meme, not creeper asking for actual pics.

One of the points included "She turned 18 this year."

This is getting creepy stalkery disccussiony. Sorry Merchant Of Menace.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2299 on: August 17, 2012, 11:26:33 am »

I apologize for any unintended creeper-age anyone interpreted from the joke.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 17, 2012, 11:33:30 am »

Right now I do have a goHome() for my working turtle.  It simply follows the y back, and then the x back.  So if it ends up at 20,-3 then it will first travel three tiles east, then 20 tiles south.  In my code, z coordinates is actually z, not the crazy minecraft y.

For this, I would mostly suggest you set a level of return.  For instance, my working turtle always has a clear path at ground level, so it always goes back to z0 and then goes home.  Later, when I start adding multiple turtles, sorting chambers, or otherwise complex working arrays, then I'll probably try and get the turtles to go to like, level z10 and then go home and drop back down to level z0, to make sure they don't collide with anything below.

I could try my hand at pathing, but that's tricky because turtles aren't able to see, well, anything really.  They can detect the 6 faces around them, but beyond that nothing.  So they're much more likely to get stuck in a hole or find their way into awkward nooks if they try their own pathing.  Although for pre-laid paths, I could do that fairly easily.  My current plan would be to have the turtle carry two items, likely dispensed via tubes to let the turtle pick up.  It would carry, for instance, a stone panel in the first slot, and an iron block in the second slot.  It would then detect what's under it, and if it sees a stone panel then it goes forward.  If it doesn't see a panel, then it tries going to the side.  If it ever detects an iron block beneath it, then it would immediately stop and eject the panel and block.  Ideally, you'd have a chest and some pipes there, so that when it dropped its items, they could be sucked back into the system for the next turtle to collect.

So, your turtle distribution system would involve a number of stone panels in a chest, and a number of other chests containing other blocks.  When a turtle is to be sent somewhere else, then you get a pipe to drop a panel and "other block", which the turtle would then turtle.suck() - it'll follow the path of panels until it either hits a dead end, or it finds the "other block" and then it ejects the items to be put back in the system.  You could then have a waiting disk drive or computer there to distribute orders to the turtle.

Of course, I say "panels" because you'd probably want to run some wires under the floor.  It'd be an easy way to lay a stone floor, but make the center of it panels, and then wires hidden under the panels.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2301 on: August 17, 2012, 11:41:12 am »

By 'pathing' I meant something simple like 'ascend to cruising altitude, move to destination' with some error handling if it detected another turtle in the way, because the airways could get clogged up.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 17, 2012, 11:43:27 am »

Some kind of "air traffic control" computer could probably assign cruising altitudes too to reduce collisions.
That might be vulnerable to jamming/spoofing though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 17, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »

Having an "air traffic control" implies a modem and whatnot.  My "smart move" idea is entirely internal though, these turtles will move without any overhead directing.  Although yes, a cruising altitude would reduce collision chances, and if you wanted to get a nearby machine that would assign turtles to different heights, then that'd be your goal.

Current smart move would likely include a bit of looping though.  Instead of just turtle.forward() it would instead:
Code: [Select]
if turtle.forward() then
 x=x+1
else
 sleep 2 seconds
end
Ok, so I don't know what the sleep function is, but you get the idea.  This would be on a loop too, so as long is x isn't whatever-number, then it would try again.    This way, if the turtle hits another turtle, or the player or some animal steps in front of it, then it'll wait a moment and try again.  If it fails a few times then it should send a wireless distress signal, if possible, and stop itself.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2304 on: August 17, 2012, 12:07:39 pm »

If it fails a few times then it should send a wireless distress signal, if possible, and stop itself.
Or it could turn in a randomly determined direction (left or right) and move forward and then try again to path home.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 17, 2012, 12:21:53 pm »

That's where you start getting with tricky pathing, so I'm not sure.  Plus there's some times where you want the bot to move exactly forward, such as when moving the bot forward to the next step of its path.  Like, my wood-harvesting bot will go along every tile.  If it were turning randomly, then it'd begin missing trees and doing a strange job.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2306 on: August 17, 2012, 12:25:44 pm »

That's where you start getting with tricky pathing, so I'm not sure.  Plus there's some times where you want the bot to move exactly forward, such as when moving the bot forward to the next step of its path.  Like, my wood-harvesting bot will go along every tile.  If it were turning randomly, then it'd begin missing trees and doing a strange job.
Oh I just meant it as part of the 'go to home' or 'go to work site' thing. They'd fly along a straight line towards the target coordinates but if they hit another bot they turn randomly left or right, move once, then begin pathing again using the new position.

Though if you have two bots collide and they're both waiting on the other, that would be bad too.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 17, 2012, 01:36:08 pm »

Back from vacation. Any major things in the MC modding scene i should know? Are mods already updated to 1.3.2? (or 1.3.1?)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2308 on: August 17, 2012, 02:37:34 pm »

I don't know much about your turtles (except the gray goo swarm sounds awesome and seems like something I want to replicate with RP) but it seems like what you want would be easy enough if a turtle can only move by its own power (IE no pistons messing up its calculations). Because of how Minecraft is basically a giant 3d grid of cubes you only need x, y, and z so assuming its the only thing that can move itself you just need to designate where it starts when you place it and then update its xyz as it moves itself. The easiest way for this is to for instance have a square you always place new ones and mark it as 0,0,0 or better yet use its actual coords and have turtles start with that as the current position. What I do see though is you will probably end up with 6 constants and 3 variables for location first is its current locatioin, next would be its destination which would be the changing one, and finally its home coordinates because I doubt you want every turtle to head to the exact same square when done and I doubt you want to have to re-figure what a location is depending on what turtle you are talking to.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 17, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »

Got a Technic question: Is there any part of the mods that might re-coordinate stuff? My whole house is quite simply one block up. All of my machines, wires, and items are still where they should be in the right numbers, just up by one. Kind of disconcerting.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 326