Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976323 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2280 on: August 17, 2012, 09:28:54 am »

I'd be all for the experiment but I'd need the startup capital to purchase a small building with rack space and a few dedicated business class data lines.

A server for only a few hundred people would be easier, and could probably be accomplished by renting rackspace in a professional datacenter and buying some very nice hardware. A blade might handle it.

I know how to do these things, I do them for a living. I don't have the money to blow on something which may or may not succeed, nor could I do it alone.

I don't think that would be possible since the software isn't designed for it. There's a lot of going on, and it needs to wait for everything to be done before starting the next logical tick, causing increasing delays as more processors are added.
Well first of all, minecraft would have to be capable of USING more than one processor. Currently it cannot even use more than one core.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:48 am »

Awwwww. I wanted to see a 2000 person anarchy server.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2282 on: August 17, 2012, 09:46:19 am »

Awwwww. I wanted to see a 2000 person anarchy server.
If we get the money I will build the server as large as I can.

be warned, it will cost a lot of money.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: August 17, 2012, 09:46:24 am »

So, Bat-Horse with a Skeleton riding it, I decided that staying in my house forever is actually a pretty good idea after all.
Tits Pic or GTFO.

:)

I was almost going to say "Thats Underage" but then i realised many points not worth mentioning here since it would make this discussion very awkward.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2284 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

So, Bat-Horse with a Skeleton riding it, I decided that staying in my house forever is actually a pretty good idea after all.
Tits Pic or GTFO.

:)

I was almost going to say "Thats Underage" but then i realised many points not worth mentioning here since it would make this discussion very awkward.
The skeleton was underage? :P

But seriously...

1. I was kidding.
2. She's not underage.
3. I was making fun of the meme, not creeper asking for actual pics.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: August 17, 2012, 09:49:29 am »

Well first of all, minecraft would have to be capable of USING more than one processor. Currently it cannot even use more than one core.

Are you sure? I run it in java 64 currently in my dual core computer, and lately it's been hogging all the CPU from both my cores. I couldn't even use Firefox properly until I set the affinity manually to one core.

Something about it is using the second core.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2286 on: August 17, 2012, 09:51:31 am »

Are you sure? I run it in java 64 currently in my dual core computer, and lately it's been hogging all the CPU from both my cores. I couldn't even use Firefox properly until I set the affinity manually to one core.

As far as I know, vanilla minecraft uses only one core. My server will stress only a single core, for example. I know there are a few mods that attempt to address this, like the multicore variant of optifine...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:39 am »

I recall a mod called "Evil minecraft" or something like that. It sounded like it made the world extremely hostile and dangerous to live in via lots of easter eggs. Anything similar to that? Because I feel like playing a really difficult minecraft.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2288 on: August 17, 2012, 10:07:49 am »

So I conferred with a colleague and we discussed it. With the assumption of a server capable of 2000 concurrent users, we're talking anywhere from $335,000 to $485,000. And that is just hardware and infrastructure costs, not installation and configuration. All this is assuming we can use hadoop or something similar to distribute the processing load.

Hardware wise we'd be looking at:

3-5 Dell 910's for the distributed processing load
10gig switch
an ASA to control traffic
Dell 610 as the hadoop controller

So this is probably two racks, to keep thermal issues at a minimum. And this is minimum requirements, untested, and making assumptions that you can even distribute a java program over several processors using hadoop.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:38 am »

As far as I know, vanilla minecraft uses only one core. My server will stress only a single core, for example. I know there are a few mods that attempt to address this, like the multicore variant of optifine...

Well, I was using your pack, so I must assume you jammed Multicore Optifine there in the jar somewhere ;)

But it's a moot point anyway, since we're talking about the server, not the client.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:19:30 am by Sergius »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: August 17, 2012, 10:30:10 am »

So I conferred with a colleague and we discussed it. With the assumption of a server capable of 2000 concurrent users, we're talking anywhere from $335,000 to $485,000. And that is just hardware and infrastructure costs, not installation and configuration. All this is assuming we can use hadoop or something similar to distribute the processing load.

10gig switch

So this is probably two racks, to keep thermal issues at a minimum. And this is minimum requirements, untested, and making assumptions that you can even distribute a java program over several processors using hadoop.

So does it come down to how many people you can get to purchase a whitelisting for the server?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2291 on: August 17, 2012, 10:37:13 am »

10gig switch

So does it come down to how many people you can get to purchase a whitelisting for the server?
Hm... if we assume 2000 people only register for the server and pay in, that is $242 at the high end. If we go with a more reasonable (but still high) price of say $15 per person, that would mean we'd need 32,000 people to pay in.

Now a 200 person server is much more reasonable. We're working up the numbers for that now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2292 on: August 17, 2012, 10:56:32 am »

For a 200 person server, we could probably use a single Poweredge R910 but we'd need something to allow it to utilize every core. That hardware setup would only cost about 50k.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02:54 am »

*Insert complaint about how discussion of this minecraft related matter somehow inhibits my ability to discuss, like, cables or some shit*
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2294 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:09 am »

*Insert complaint about how discussion of this minecraft related matter somehow inhibits my ability to discuss, like, cables or some shit*
Oh god, now we have to splinter off the discussion into a Minecraft - Hardware thread! :D
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 326