Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976399 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2235 on: August 12, 2012, 11:41:27 pm »

Actually, I've noticed, if you find areas that are tainted, the taint is usually high enough that those extra-taint plant thingies spawn and taint the area even further, so in theory the taint is just going to get worse and worse...

BUT, instead, if you keep your distance, and let it alone, the taint will spread around the neighbor chunks, lowering the original value to something like 50% or less. THAT's when you go in, find every single taint-spouting thing in it and break it with whatever tool you can. After you do that, the taint will remain high enough for tainted ground, grass and mobs, but it will not increase since the plants themselves don't spawn until 60% or so taint I think.

EDIT: Now, on a different note, I'm starting my nuclear power plant project. By that I mean I want to build a "real" nuclear plant, which of course uses IC2 stuffs in it, but is also a big stupid building. I'm modeling it after Chernobyl, so far I got a stack which looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The "reactor room" looks like this:

I've been very careful to place all the reactors (plus all 4 extra chambers) inside a single chunk, all the wiring is going to be under it, I'll also place the RP2 computer in the basement, the monitors themselves can be outside the chunk I guess since they're just for user I/O, so no funny business of the reactor blowing up because some chunk didn't load.

Anyway, I plan on making the turbine hall and everything, except obviously there is no such thing... so I guess I'll just model one out of stone and/or iron and place maybe a MFSU in it. Whatcha think?

(BTW I'm doing this in creative mode, then I'm using the Buildcraft blueprints to transplant them into my survival map using finite materials).

EDIT2: Oh, another thing: I noted that while some guides/wiki tell you to make a 2-block thick cube of reinforced stone around the reactor, everything in a 5x5x5 cube around the reactor has a chance of turning to lava (including reinforced). That means once it explodes, that "thin" part of the wall won't protect anything, it will leave a thin line of destruction in that direction (like some sort of deathray laser). So the best idea is to try to leave the 5x5x5 cube centered on the reactor empty if possible, then make the cube outside that.

Now, then only way to turn off a reactor with 4 chambers is with a red torch under it... and you're supposed to fill every block around it with water, so you have to do something like this: the floor, with a hole in the middle, and the reactor over it:

Then you can wire under it like this:

This also has the fortunate side effect of reversing the redstone power. So when it loses power for whatever reason, the torch actually turns on and the reactor stops. (unless the torch burns or melts, in which case... tough luck.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:15:16 am by Sergius »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:56 am »

I was under the impression that reactors only checked for water in a 3x3x3 area surrounding the center chamber. The wiki confirms this. In that case, you can turn the reactor off using any of the faces as long as there's an extra chamber on the side in question.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:10:05 am by Mephisto »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 13, 2012, 01:46:23 am »

Sergius, you should turn that into your hellish TOWER of ABSOLUTE POWER! and put wind power at the top, lava underneath it running into geothermal generators, and then water at the bottom for waterwheels and supplying the nuclear reactors once its reaches dead bottom.  That way, should the nukes go off, you're totally in the dark when your entire energy system goes POOF.

Mwhahaha.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 13, 2012, 03:07:40 am »

RP2 Pro-tip: Don't send hundreds of stacks of stuff through an item detector set to pulse once for every item! The game apparently gets stuck after it loads the chunk, stuttering along at 2-3 fps, and it refuses to load any more chunks.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 13, 2012, 10:52:18 am »

I was under the impression that reactors only checked for water in a 3x3x3 area surrounding the center chamber. The wiki confirms this. In that case, you can turn the reactor off using any of the faces as long as there's an extra chamber on the side in question.

Water must be in the 3x3x3 area, like this (side view):

Code: [Select]
#####
#~R~#
1RRR#
#~R~#
##*##

R: Reactor part
~: Water
#: Wall
*: Redstone torch

In a submerged reactor, you can't put the torch under any other chamber except the bottom, because all 4 lateral chambers should have water under them. Also the torch itself can't touch water or it pops out.

Also, the torch can't be on any other side except below one of the chambers: that's because only the central reactor machine checks for the redstone current. But one of the features of torches (that apparently none of the Redpower stuff shares) is that any block directly above it will transmit redstone current.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:58:10 am by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2240 on: August 13, 2012, 11:12:29 am »

Eh? I'm almost positive that a redalloy wire on a secondary reactor chamber will turn the reactor on/off.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 13, 2012, 11:31:39 am »

So I'm trying to upgrade my minecraft to the latest version, I had been playing 1.1 via Nostalgia since mods weren't updated at the time.

Can anyone confirm or deny that they can Minecraft Forge?  When I click the links, they turn up dead.

Aside from that, probably gonna run a very industrial world.  IC2, Buildcraft, and Railcraft were my things last world, probably going to add Computercraft and RedPower to that as well, and see what I can do with computers and monitors to make a fantastic industrial complex.

I previously did fantastic things using pipes, crafting pipes, and careful flow of resources and signals.  I could keep my quarry running and harvesting massive raw materials, sorting out the dirt and cobble out to the recyclers while sending the ores to the macerators and furnaces, to be converted into blocks and sent to the long-term storage area, because ingots take up too much space.  To cap it all off, the quarry would shut off if my chests began to overflow, so I wouldn't waste time tossing blocks in the garbage, and the whole thing was wired into a crafting array that let me request items on-demand.

This time, I want to do it all again, but abuse the larger world height and mesh everything with computers so that I can make some really complex and forward-thinking industrial complexes.  Ideally, I'd have some world anchors at the main base (that is, it makes sure the chunk remains loaded at all times) and some quarries out in the wild.  Quarries would bring up loads of raw resources, dump them into a storage cart, and send it to the main base to be worked into different materials and stocks.

Any suggestions on how to go for it or more things to add?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 13, 2012, 11:35:03 am »

Eh? I'm almost positive that a redalloy wire on a secondary reactor chamber will turn the reactor on/off.

Hm, weird. I guess it does if you shift click on the chamber itself with the wire. I suppose that allows the current to reach the center also. Hadn't thought of that before.

Well, then I guess it comes down in the end on whether you want a hole on a side, the top or the bottom, and whether you'd like the current to be reversed or not.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:39:54 am by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2243 on: August 13, 2012, 11:45:12 am »

Hm, weird. I guess it does if you shift click on the chamber itself with the wire. I suppose that allows the current to reach the center also. Hadn't thought of that before.
yeah, my control system uses a jacketed wire to the secondary chamber on the top and a piece of redalloywire on the chamber itself to connect it. Works for me. I even have multiple redundant safety systems in place. The wire itself is linked to a state cell system which will trigger a 5 minute second reactor runtime whenever the first MFSU is completely drained (in a series of 8 MFSU storage units)

I have a redalloy kill wire which runs over a wooden planks block. If this wire is broken, the system shuts down immediately. How is that a safety system? well the reactor heating up will burn wooden blocks first and if this block is burned it will break the wire.

Next is a pump system which will flood the reactor chamber with water and a set of deployers with reinforced stone which will drop a box of reinforced stone around the reactor if the alarm is tripped.

Finally is a digital thermometer which will trip a containment field and sound an alert if it detects the heat rising above the 'overload' level despite everything else, and which can only be disarmed via redstone wireless remote.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 13, 2012, 11:58:34 am »

yeah, my control system uses a jacketed wire to the secondary chamber on the top and a piece of redalloywire on the chamber itself to connect it. Works for me. I even have multiple redundant safety systems in place. The wire itself is linked to a state cell system which will trigger a 5 minute second reactor runtime whenever the first MFSU is completely drained (in a series of 8 MFSU storage units)

I have a redalloy kill wire which runs over a wooden planks block. If this wire is broken, the system shuts down immediately. How is that a safety system? well the reactor heating up will burn wooden blocks first and if this block is burned it will break the wire.

Next is a pump system which will flood the reactor chamber with water and a set of deployers with reinforced stone which will drop a box of reinforced stone around the reactor if the alarm is tripped.

Finally is a digital thermometer which will trip a containment field and sound an alert if it detects the heat rising above the 'overload' level despite everything else, and which can only be disarmed via redstone wireless remote.

Interesting. Actually I had thought of that wooden "fuse" system by putting a 5x5 wood thing on top with a snaking wire runing all over it, so that it would catch fire first. But I haven't got to that phase of the development yet. What I like about the vanilla redstone torch on the bottom is that it will default to ON if the current is interrupted in any way, thus shutting the reactor down. OTOH, if the stone melts... the water could extinguish it :P

I probably won't be making any complicated deployer system tho. Since each reactor is surrounded by one layer of reinforced stone, and the whole room is made of reinforced stone, the explosion shouldn't even breach said room...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2245 on: August 13, 2012, 11:59:47 am »

I accomplish the same thing with a NOT gate. No redstone current = current out = reactor off.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:07 pm »

Anyone running ComputerCraft version 1.41 on Minecraft version 1.2.5?  I keep trying to get it working, but it always goes black.  It becomes infinitely more difficult because people like Forge and ModLoader dump out their old versions quickly, so finding a 1.2.5 version of those utilities is way more difficult than it should be.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:51 pm »

I suggest grabbing Technic. Totally not because I'm staff there. Not at all.
*innocent whistle*
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 15, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »

I avoid mod packs, they generally contain more mods than I actually want, or have bits of mods that are outdated.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 15, 2012, 05:50:52 pm »

Anyone running ComputerCraft version 1.41 on Minecraft version 1.2.5?  I keep trying to get it working, but it always goes black.  It becomes infinitely more difficult because people like Forge and ModLoader dump out their old versions quickly, so finding a 1.2.5 version of those utilities is way more difficult than it should be.
I do with Forge v3.3.8.164. No ModLoader since Forge includes its own.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 326