Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976704 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #1875 on: July 18, 2012, 06:31:48 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I like a little bit of messing up. Editing the video so everything works amazingly and goes perfect the first time is boring, but you don't need to show every goddamned second of everything you do.
*Hugs*

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1876 on: July 18, 2012, 08:22:02 pm »

Just going to say that from the position of someone that uploads videos to YouTube semi regularly and that has both read and watched a good number of tutorial type of things in general the subject is very much part of whether one or the other can work. The thing with Minecraft is that it has a few thing which together means you get both end of the spectrum without much in-between.
   Because Minecraft is a 3d space that can have complex side dependent effects, things like which side scrap goes in a massfab and what end you hook the pipe to a transposer, means that a video is a good tool to show whats going on as it allows a better sense of how things go together way beyond what even multiple pictures can show. Because Minecraft is a game of crafting with what are sometimes very fiddly bits, things like all the different bits of plate things that go into a Redpower circiut and the multistage confusion that is nuclear generator, means that unless a video is a bad tool to show off a mod as unless you really prepare ahead of time you can end up just trying to remember where you put that one bit or didn't do that one step. These 2 things cause both high and low quality videos to appear but there is one other factor to why videos seem to be of lower quality and that is there are actually very few tutorial videos.
   For instance I don't think Direwolf has a single tutorial video. Not a one. What he does is mod spotlights and his lets plays. The mod spotlights are meant to inform you of a mod and while he does generally go over whats going on in the mod in a tutorial sorta of way its not meant to be a tutorial but rather a thing to let you dive into a new mod or update you to an old mods new features. His lets play on the other hand are not and have never been even close to something you could call a tutorial but its where I learned most of what I know of for a majority of the mods I use. He just builds things and explains it as he goes so if you like his videos you will pickup quite a bit about the mods as he goes without having to actually "learn" it. Anyway yeah, I was going somewhere with this before I turned it into an add for Direwolf, oh yeah, basically a lot of things people consider tutorials are mod review which shows the features of the mods without actually attempting to truly teach you how to use the mod. If someone actually sat down and got it together they could make really good tutorials for Minecraft. Anyway wikis and such are dependent on the community to fill them with content so unless its maintained by the mod author or avid fans its going to be about the quality of a YouTube video but with text, we are just lucky DF produced and attracted the kind of people who could keep its wiki updated or I bet a lot of us would not be here on this forum cause of how hard it is to figure the dang thing out well enough on your own.

Edit: my goodness, this turned out longer then I though...
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 18, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »

It's alright, one can always appreciate gushing about Direwolf because that guy gets it. He knows Minecraft is mostly repetitive stuff nobody wants to watch, so he edits out tedious parts that only the player enjoys. And he always has something to say that isn't stupid. And he has a good solid voice for talking all the time.

I sometimes look at the guests he has in his multiplay series and grow more appreciative of his work. Because damn, if he's playing with the best alternatives then he's a tier above everyone else.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:51 pm »

I can't watch his videos, I rage too much.
Like the time he spent about 15 minutes espousing just how important it was to have an enourmous stock of reeds, and then walked past his fully grown reed farm about 20 times without harvesting any.
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 18, 2012, 08:38:50 pm »

Still better than literally everyone else on Youtube.

No disrespect Akhier
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 18, 2012, 08:40:49 pm »

His videos are good, not disputing that. I just find his playstyle incredibly inefficient, like by the time he has a house, I usually have an MFSU and a full compliment of Advanced Machines :P
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 18, 2012, 08:42:57 pm »

That probably shows how different our own playstyles are

My largest grief with the guy is having such a crummy home style of "9x9x5 rooms for everything!" No, let me on your map and make you an actual house that has wooden pillars and crap. All the machine stuff is still beyond me.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 18, 2012, 08:44:18 pm »

Yeah, I do tend to be in a mud hut eating raw zombie flesh whilst tending to my vast field of machinery. Aesthetically pleasing things can come after I can destroy the entire world with a single buttonpress
*Hugs*

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1883 on: July 18, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »

Ironically the server lets play is the one thing he does where I wish others where talking more then him though thats because they are the mods themselves and being a programmer and interesting in the mods in general makes the insights into what they do really interesting for me.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 18, 2012, 10:13:30 pm »

Yeah, I do tend to be in a mud hut eating raw zombie flesh whilst tending to my vast field of machinery. Aesthetically pleasing things can come after I can destroy the entire world with a single buttonpress
I convert the surrounding countryside into housing, mostly. In between mining or while waiting for things to cook or whatever. Current world still has a little bit of a ravine to cobble over before it's got a finished roof (the floor's already been slabbed so I can just walk from one end to the other, is good), then I can start... doing something, I guess. Expand the work rooms, start including the greatwood trees outside, stuff like that. Smooth out the ceiling so it's mostly hidden, do something more with the river I've been using for transportation. Definitely mess with the river's curves a bit so I don't have to slow down so much boating along it...

Do the same thing in Terraria, actually. I just like building mostly with or around the world. Not really natural-like, per-se, but using the native shape as a base, starting point, or primary boundary (outer wall, etc). Generally pretty boring from an architectural perspective, I guess (the process tends to be very... unplanned) but I end up enjoying running around in them and that's quite enough, yupyup.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 18, 2012, 10:18:23 pm »

I always set up a farm first, then machines, but I always build houses out of wood.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #1886 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:14 pm »

I'd like to see your sources, most people I know who play modded Minecraft, keeping in mind that I moderate a forum of about 1500 active people which is specifically dedicated to modded Minecraft, agree that both Redpower Computers and CC Computers have their own uses and situations in which they're better.
Do share. I really don't want to go back to the main forums to search.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #1887 on: July 18, 2012, 10:20:15 pm »

I'd like to see your sources, most people I know who play modded Minecraft, keeping in mind that I moderate a forum of about 1500 active people which is specifically dedicated to modded Minecraft, agree that both Redpower Computers and CC Computers have their own uses and situations in which they're better.
Do share. I really don't want to go back to the main forums to search.

The Technic forums.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 19, 2012, 12:23:09 am »

Heya MoM, I'm thinking of trying out a buncha technical mods now that I'm frustrated with Terrafirmacraft. Technic quickly adds the major mods and sounds like a better use of my time than making them work myself, but it appears to use its own launcher. I currently use a setup with MagicLauncher that works out well for me and there are few things that could convince me to use some other launcher.

So I'm just looking for a zip file or something to use from Technic, not necessarily using the launcher. Or if I have to use the launcher, is there some way of just keeping it in its own folder so it doesn't muck with my file organization?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 19, 2012, 12:45:27 am »

I know I'm not MoM, but the Technic launcher creates a folder of its own and doesn't touch any of your files. Each separate mod supported by the launcher has its own subfolder in that directory.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 326