Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warhammer 40K MMO cancelled, game will switch to "premium experience"  (Read 6537 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K MMO cancelled, game will switch to "premium experience"
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 09:18:04 am »

I would, but it appears Privateer Press are a private company and as such don't release stockholdler's reports, so I don't think there's any way for me to find the necessary info - balance sheets, cash flows, consolidated statements and stuff. Sorry :(
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 10:34:05 am »

The "premium experience with robust digital content" does make it sound like it will suck balls though. I foresee an even higher degree of monetization than we saw in 40k: Space Marine. You'll probably have to buy your chainsword as DLC.
But that just adds to the experience, because then it will be closer to tabletop WH40K :P

Touche'.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 12:34:38 am »

There was a fan-made Warhammer40K MMO that I linked to on this forum...only for it to be taken down as the Bay12Community dismissed it and send notices to Games Workshop to convince them to send cease-and-desist letters. It wasn't good, but it was there and it was free and it didn't have to deal with layoffs, DLCs and buzzwords. It was honest, which I think should count for something in this day and age.

So when you're complaining about the lack of a proper and non-rip-off Warhammer40K MMO, just know that there once was an alternative.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 10:03:54 am »

So what you're saying is "well stop whining about a possible good MMO getting shut down, because once in the dawn of time there was a bad one"? That... does not seem reasonable.

Also it seems it was horrible and you were in some way involved. Getting it shut down is kind of assholish, I agree, though.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 10:08:41 am »

So what you're saying is "well stop whining about a possible good MMO getting shut down, because once in the dawn of time there was a bad one"? That... does not seem reasonable.

Also it seems it was horrible and you were in some way involved. Getting it shut down is kind of assholish, I agree, though.

This, oh yes. Getting it shut down was unbelievably douchebaggy, but your complaints are ridiculous.

Out of curiousity, what sort of 40k game would you want to see? Personally, I've been dreaming of a Mass Effect-esque inquisitor rpg for years now. A grand strategy game ala Hearts of Iron could also be interesting.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 01:12:03 pm »

I kinda like your inquisitor idea. They tend to meet enough strange people with bizarre abilities to make a wonderfully ragtag squad.

I have two ideas knocking about in my head. The first is a Battlefield/Star Wars: Battlefront type of game in which two teams control two different armies to complete objectives. Orks vs Imperial Guard, Eldar vs Tau, whatever. Vehicles, of course, are a must.
The second idea is a Call of Duty-esque first-person shooter, from the perspective of an Imperial Guardsman. Heavy emphasis on your fellows getting gunned down on all sides as you stand firm against an Ork charge or storm a Chaos stronghold. Only problem is that Fire Warrior tried a similar thing and was heavily panned.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 01:20:37 pm »

AFAIK Fire Warrior devolves to mowing down hordes of Greater Daemons towards the end which is not quite the "oh god everyone is dying around me" feeling an Imperial Guard-focused game should evoke. Because honestly, I love the IG, but they're cannon fodder.

Me, I want a game where you get to play Kaptin Bluddflagg's Merry Rampage Through Space, with a dash of Kaptin Bluddflagg's Merry Rampage Through Eldar and Chaos worlds. Basically a team-based shooter where you play as Kaptin Bluddflagg. Or a squad-based action RPG. Or anything, really. As long as we get more Kaptin Bluddflagg.

edit because Bluddflagg : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kh1jfyCrw WATCH THIS (DoW 2:Retribution Ending Spoilers!)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 01:57:31 pm »

I kinda like your inquisitor idea. They tend to meet enough strange people with bizarre abilities to make a wonderfully ragtag squad.

I have two ideas knocking about in my head. The first is a Battlefield/Star Wars: Battlefront type of game in which two teams control two different armies to complete objectives. Orks vs Imperial Guard, Eldar vs Tau, whatever. Vehicles, of course, are a must.
I'd probably pay money for a Warhammer40K-style clone of Battlefield/Battlefront, even if it had no vehicles. The continual death of infantry battling within chokepoints, combined with the disposal nature of each individual "ticket", seems to fit Warhammer40K's "there is only war" theme. Of course, I'd think I want decent AI and a good story, but then I'm probably wishing too much.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:00:55 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 02:17:45 pm »

AFAIK Fire Warrior devolves to mowing down hordes of Greater Daemons towards the end which is not quite the "oh god everyone is dying around me" feeling an Imperial Guard-focused game should evoke. Because honestly, I love the IG, but they're cannon fodder.

Me, I want a game where you get to play Kaptin Bluddflagg's Merry Rampage Through Space, with a dash of Kaptin Bluddflagg's Merry Rampage Through Eldar and Chaos worlds. Basically a team-based shooter where you play as Kaptin Bluddflagg. Or a squad-based action RPG. Or anything, really. As long as we get more Kaptin Bluddflagg.

edit because Bluddflagg : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kh1jfyCrw WATCH THIS (DoW 2:Retribution Ending Spoilers!)
What ever happened to Gorgutz? From the first Dawn of War series? Starting at Winter Assault?
...Said Bloxace.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »

I want a 40k co-op game that is essentially DoW 2's campaign.....except that it's fun.

Seriously, the maps were so boring and the engagements were too. Send your FC in on a charge, have Avitus set up with a Heavy Bolter or Plasma Cannon. The tact, assault and scout squad are basically secondary units to that equation.

Space Marine got pretty close to it in a 3rd person perspective. Better level design and meta-game ideas would have made that title a real winner in my book. It shows off the 40k IP very well, but it gets a little mindless once you sort out how the combat mechanics really work.

So for me it's not that they need to make an entirely new game. It's just that no one, not even DoW 1 really, has completely nailed the mechanics with which you act out your 40k fantasy. There's always this....layer of gameiness getting in the way, is the closest thing I can articulate. The whole planetary assault setup of the DoW 2 campaigns really demonstrates what I'm talking about, as do many of the side missions. When those things are included and they're not done to the hilt, they become a liability. Especially in a game like 40k that cries to crap epic everywhere it goes. Suppressing the invasion fleet on Meridian isn't epic, it's a goddamn chore.

With DoW 1, it was always clear you're playing in a very generic RTS setup, although I don't really hold that against the game (as it pioneered a better version of territory-based gameplay and that was huge.)

In DoW 2, the campaign missions feel like a chore rather than a mission, you've got to do all these things to get the highest score or you don't get as much XP, and it leads to kind of a mindless experience of 40k whackamole. And even "playing your way" can be unexciting: running across an empty map several times, picking off guys one at a time because the AI isn't all that smart or the godawful boss fights that really were intended for co-op.

In 40K: Space Marine you're just on rails the whole time, and the quality of said rails can vary a lot. The combat mechanics, while promoting a lot of smashing and bashing, aren't very deep or well-balanced.  The execution self-heal thing is actually a liability later on in game. Surprisingly, I found MP 40K: Space Marine a way better product than the main game. And I'm far more likely to pay attention to SP campaigns before MP. But the MP in that actually started to make me feel like "40k! Fuck yeah!"

If you're going to make the game about 4 space marines slaughtering EVERYTHING in their path, don't make a level with a finite amount of enemies scattered around in groups of 6 that you have to hunt down. If you're going to do a FPS in the darkest of millenniums, take advantage of that and script some real action and a real sense of the world! Instead of the rail road tracks 40K Space Marine found itself on, with the excuse the planet was fucked as a reason to keep where you are and what's going on fairly staid and repetitive.

That probably sounds a lot like gamer whine, but it is what it is. I think what's always lacking in almost all of the game is some level of detail to things: your characters, the scenario or your options (Atmosphere they all generally nail.) DoW 2 campaign and 40k: Space Marine MP have lots of great meta-gameplay details (character driven advancement), and it's stuff like that which needs to be happening more often.

I'd give most 40k games by Relic an 80% or slightly better. So I'm not complaining a ton (other than the initial shock at what DoW 2 turned into.) As games though there's still something missing from the experience that they, and I guess I, haven't quite figured out. DoW 1 felt like it had a maturity in the design and vision for the game and what it really lacked was time to add more things or the tech to make it amazing. (And then they backed away from the most interesting tech created in CoH for something much less interesting in DoW 2.) All the games from DoW1 have felt like whoever has the grand design ideas isn't quite as...mature? I guess, and enjoys putting things in little boxes and then shutting the lid on the idea and calling it good.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:47:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2]