Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? (69 of 729 fixed - 9%)

[part of children bugs squashed] Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 73 (10%)
Bug #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
- 63 (8.6%)
Bug #2712: weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 35 (4.8%)
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)
- 34 (4.7%)
Bug #5097:  Names overwriting text with TrueType
- 24 (3.3%)
[FIXED] Bug #5232: Streams/brooks/rivers getting turned stagnant by nearby pools/ponds
- 48 (6.6%)
Bug #296: Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 22 (3%)
Bug #2922: Population Cap not working
- 39 (5.3%)
Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
- 62 (8.5%)
Bug #2780: Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)
- 26 (3.6%)
Bug #33: Bronze colossus, skeletal creatures, fleshballs, and others are impossible to kill
- 13 (1.8%)
Bug #3898: Entire Bone Stacks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 12 (1.6%)
Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.
- 22 (3%)
Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands
- 17 (2.3%)
Bug #2327: Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 12 (1.6%)
Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 16 (2.2%)
Bug #136 When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes
- 16 (2.2%)
Bug #412: Nobles job priority is weird (trading, diagnose, talking with liaison and attend meeting jobs have extremely low priority)
- 32 (4.4%)
bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable
- 5 (0.7%)
Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 2 (0.3%)
Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling
- 7 (1%)
Bug #5106: Slain bandits/companions respawn/duplicate in their original location
- 7 (1%)
Bug #425: Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 25 (3.4%)
[FIXED] Bug #1376: Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 4 (0.5%)
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 6 (0.8%)
Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks
- 7 (1%)
Bug #5598: Town shops/cabinets contain human-sized clothes regardless of size of actual residents
- 6 (0.8%)
Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)
- 5 (0.7%)
Bug #1346: Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 11 (1.5%)
Bug #3169: Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 6 (0.8%)
Bug #874: Dwarves refuse to butcher some corpses (buzzards in particular)
- 3 (0.4%)
Bug #4430: Large gems not moved to stockpile
- 9 (1.2%)
Bug #3981: Dwarf with "Installing Colony in Hive" Job stuck in middle of nowhere.
- 18 (2.5%)
Bug #5102: Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows (some of them stuck to walls)
- 4 (0.5%)
Bug #4299: Some events can't be zoomed to (from announcements menu) even though they have a definite location
- 23 (3.2%)
Bug #3190: Long Patrol Negative Thoughts seem to escalate, even with long break.
- 15 (2.1%)
Bug #434: Reaction jobs (unlike other jobs) don't look outside burrow for workers and raw materials (works through manager)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 725

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: The worst bug - 34.07-10 poll  (Read 63842 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.07-10 poll
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »

Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc - 2 (0.3%)

Bug or feature?
It is an open bug on bugtracker, reviewed by Foot, Toady admitted that there is a problem ("It'll be interesting to see the new contenders for "worst dodge decision" that come out of this"), so I will call it a bug (disclaimer: I am the person that report this).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »

There could maybe be an option to reserve a few containers for hauling only, which would be emptied into another appropriate container so they're always available. Similar to how barrels and bins can be reserved for jobs like brewing.
This is such a good idea, it must go in the suggestion section.  +1
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »

I'm of the opinion that creatures should "succumb to wounds" and die if they have enough mangled/severed body parts.  That would fix about half of the combat issues.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »

Names overwriting text with TrueType - is it fixed or is it just me?
<3

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2012, 11:27:49 pm »

Names overwriting text with TrueType - is it fixed or is it just me?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5097 - Open, not mentioned in devlogs... But maybe it was fixed by accident, during rewriting interface code (using entire screen instead of 80x25).

Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Rorax

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Straight Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2012, 03:51:20 am »

While I find some of the bugs terrible. I Am thinking about the newbie population of players to dwarf fortress rather than us old hats. and because of that. I feel none are worse than the erratic military behavior with equipment.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2012, 09:26:36 am »

While I find some of the bugs terrible. I Am thinking about the newbie population of players to dwarf fortress rather than us old hats. and because of that. I feel none are worse than the erratic military behavior with equipment.
I haven't had a problem with erratic equipment, except when conflicting with a civilian uniform (woodcutter,hunter,miner). Since those were two different entries, which did you mean?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2012, 12:00:54 am »

the one where they don't collect the right gear (only one sock or boot or whatever) or they drop something and try and pick it up in a loop or they simply just don't grab something (like a damn weapon!)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2012, 12:22:46 am »

I haven't had a problem with erratic equipment, except when conflicting with a civilian uniform (woodcutter,hunter,miner). Since those were two different entries, which did you mean?
the one where they don't collect the right gear (only one sock or boot or whatever) or they drop something and try and pick it up in a loop or they simply just don't grab something (like a damn weapon!)

It also includes the lack of in-menu means of discerning which weapons or equipment are already claimed when you issue specific armor or weapon assignments.  Generic weapon assignments are also problematic, as they tend to wind up in those stupid inability to pickup their weapon loops.  This leads to the excrutiatingly slow and painful setup where you have to find specific weapons outside of the military menu, manage them by pen-and-paper to figure out which ones are unassigned, and then assign them to each dwarf in your military.  It is probably the single worst interface sin DF has ever committed, and that's REALLY saying something. 

There's the bug where dwarves put gear on in layers based upon what order the gear was manufactured in, rather than what order would make any logical sense or what order you tell them to equip the armor in (so they put their platemail on first, then try and fail to put the padding layers on over them).

There are the general ranged weapon ammunition bugs, where "training" ammunition is just plain not respected. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2012, 01:09:14 pm »

There's the bug where dwarves put gear on in layers based upon what order the gear was manufactured in, rather than what order would make any logical sense or what order you tell them to equip the armor in (so they put their platemail on first, then try and fail to put the padding layers on over them).
What if I buy the equipment, is it in the order they were bought in?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »

I would assume order spawned, which means the order they were in on the camel or wagon that brought it in to trade.  Trading just changes a flag on those items.  What you are looking for are item ID, which is given at the time of creation.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »

I would assume order spawned, which means the order they were in on the camel or wagon that brought it in to trade.  Trading just changes a flag on those items.  What you are looking for are item ID, which is given at the time of creation.
So what you are saying is that If I am buying armor, I should buy all the under armor I ever need before I buy anything else?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2012, 03:32:21 pm »

So what you are saying is that If I am buying armor, I should buy all the under armor I ever need before I buy anything else?

This is the specific bug, by the way: #4932

Anyway, that's not the only way to deal with it.

You can order specific armor to be worn, for example.  So, you can order 2 chainmails made, and then 1 breastplate, and then order those specific chainmails and breastplates worn on one specific dwarf before making the next set of armors. 

Depending on the order in which the goods are spawned in a caravan (I'm not sure if caravans might load goods in reverse-order or not), you could buy goods from a caravan, and just make sure to assign the chainmails with platemails that come from lower down in the list, or else with other items (like cloaks) that appear from later caravans.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2012, 02:22:51 am »

Toady fixed two bug related to "Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic ": 0001998: Player can't set the more generic uniform options, like "any headgear" and 0005741: Boots don't count as shoes, military gets bad thoughts (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1998 / http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5741) + multiple random fixes (fire AI, jobs use the nearest square instead of starting at top left, more reasonable decisions, auto-assigned children to mother's pasture/pond, added confirmation for burrow deletion, cleared kill orders after completion, added ability to set up generic armor options in uniforms (like the ones the defaults have))!

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »

Considering that some issues have been solved or have few votes, plus there are new issues with minecarts, falling objects, etc., and also it sounds like Toady might be wrapping up the bug fixes soon to work on the "hero role" stuff, should we do a new poll after v0.34.11 is released?

If so, we should probably start taking new bug vote suggestions now.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11