Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.07 Released  (Read 96505 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.07 Released
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2012, 07:21:22 am »

Quote from: Toady One
04/02/2012  The hauling changes have begun. This afternoon there were dwarves running around with bins, bags and barrels, vacuuming up items. Seeing a single dwarf clean up a seed-ridden dining room as a single job is a beautiful thing.

I think I love you.

Now I'll have to figure out what work I can come up with for those other 78 seed haulers....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2012, 08:46:13 am »

Half of the fun of DF is knowing that at any given time, a single sock or butterfly corpse might cause the downfall of your entire fortress.
No downfall from doorjamming unless you rely on "wall/door/bridge off the world". Try a "corridor of 40 weapon traps". But then the miasma from said corridor will cause teh tantrums.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2012, 08:57:46 am »

Half of the fun of DF is knowing that at any given time, a single sock or butterfly corpse might cause the downfall of your entire fortress.
No downfall from doorjamming unless you rely on "wall/door/bridge off the world". Try a "corridor of 40 weapon traps".
But where's the ‼Fun‼ in that? ???
(Other than "The spinning *large, serrated bronze disc* strikes the Goblin Lasher in the lower body, tearing apart the fat and spilling her stinking guts!" >:D )
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2012, 09:23:01 am »

Try a "corridor of 40 weapon traps". But then the miasma from said corridor will cause teh tantrums.

Not if it's above ground.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2012, 10:45:39 am »

Quote from: Sus
But where's the ‼Fun‼ in that? ???
(Other than "The spinning *large, serrated bronze disc* strikes the Goblin Lasher in the lower body, tearing apart the fat and spilling her stinking guts!" >:D )

I prefer serrated green glass discs that slash throats ;)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

maxi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:24 am »

04/02/2012  The hauling changes have begun. This afternoon there were dwarves running around with bins, bags and barrels, vacuuming up items. Seeing a single dwarf clean up a seed-ridden dining room as a single job is a beautiful thing.

I think I love you.

Now I'll have to figure out what work I can come up with for those other 78 seed haulers....
Absolutely fantastic! Every update that should be seems to become true!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58:23 pm »

I think I love you.

double the love.

My computer can't handle large forts so I need to keep population low. Cleaning up after ambushes takes as long as to the next ambush, I do not want sieges.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2012, 06:40:34 pm »

I think I love you.

Took the words right outta my mouth. Hey, maybe I can build towers faster with less hauling work!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2012, 03:03:56 am »

My computer can't handle large forts so I need to keep population low. Cleaning up after ambushes takes as long as to the next ambush, I do not want sieges.

I feel for you.. just had an siege with 15 goblins each riding either a rutherer or a olm and one troll. Killed 40 dwarves in total (mostly because Im really crappy at getting a functioning military), cant imagine how long time that wouldve taken to clean up if I didnt have 120 dwarves already. Luckily I had a dwarf make a cool iron breastplate artifact with goblin and troll bones after the siege which sort of made up for it.

How do you deal with that? Embark at glaciers or just turn it off?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2012, 06:28:00 am »

what toady plans to do with the mining stuff?

now that he's gonna add carts and other hauling stuff what will miners do? mining a tile, hauling the mined rock/gem/mineral to the cart, returning to the mining spot...

I hope that it won't be so confusing...
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2012, 06:41:31 am »

what toady plans to do with the mining stuff?

now that he's gonna add carts and other hauling stuff what will miners do? mining a tile, hauling the mined rock/gem/mineral to the cart, returning to the mining spot...

I hope that it won't be so confusing...

I suspect Miners will still do what they do now. What I suspect will be changed, is the aftermath from a tile being mined. As in the amount of time, the amount of rocks being left over, and how to move the rocks once they been mined.

Rock Hauling will probably still be a hualing job, and probably still be controlable with hauling labors.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2012, 10:19:06 am »

These changes might well make fort mode a very different game. I'm looking forward to it.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2012, 05:00:20 pm »

sounds like stockpiles can be far away from where they need to be.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »

Well, maybe.  To me it sounds more like inter-stockpile shipments will be very efficient.  So you might have a huge central stone stockpile, with rail lines to the mining site, and to smaller stockpiles near the mason's shop and so on.

But this is all speculation at the moment.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »

Well, maybe.  To me it sounds more like inter-stockpile shipments will be very efficient.  So you might have a huge central stone stockpile, with rail lines to the mining site, and to smaller stockpiles near the mason's shop and so on.

But this is all speculation at the moment.

This would be, quite simply, awesome :)

I am imagining rail lines being used for rapid transit of large quantities of goods from one stockpile to the next.

Want to move that 500 rock you just mined?

1) Designate the area where the stone is as a stone stockpile

2) Indicate that the main stone stockpile should pull from this stone stockpile.

3) create a rail line between the two.

4) Watch dwarves load mining carts from the stone source and take to stone storage.

Lots of different ways this could be done, most of which would be very nice!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11