Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.07 Released  (Read 96499 times)

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.07 Released
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2012, 02:30:59 pm »

goddammit Toady! I keep genning a large 1050 world, modding out aquifers then embarking, come onto the B12 forums then find that you have released another version!

I don't know whether to love or hate you, now!

just choose love, man

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »

Any thoughts on contaminant and water issues?  Are these the sort of things about which you have some fixes in mind, or will they likely take some more time to consider?

It's something I'm going to handle or at least address in some way during this cycle, but I haven't thought specifically about how I want to do it.  The way the stagnant flag spreads is pretty crazy.

More interesting !!!SCIENCE!!! for my stagnant water bug  http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5232... at my new fort, I was able to make a (way too) small fresh water cistern which is refilled from a catchment system that drains murky pools.  That was a single screw pump.  I channeled out a much larger 3-z cistern fed by a pump stack of four screw pumps up from the same catchment basin.  I recently had to cut down a tower cap that was growing in my third pump (LOL) and install floors in the water outlet/source squares on each level to prevent more mischievous plantlife.  One, in particular, was painfully tricky and I ended up putting a tightly sealed door on the north face of the water outlet square.  It just so happens that was for the first pump coming out of the stagnant water.

I turned on the pump stack and saw STAGNANT WATER 7/7 on that outlet square directly south of the door (I FREAKED!)...but, it turns out, the pump stack was still able to convert it to clean water on the next level and preserve the cistern (thank god).

Still not sure why that one square turned stagnant...but the other three screw pumps, with newly installed floors, were still able to clean the water.

This goes to my observation from the abandoned fort:  When I built a screw pump inside a corridor of flooring and walls, it STILL put out stagnant water...maybe the work around is to have a pump stack (it's not like you don't have plenty of spare dwarves to crank the handles) of at least two or three pumps for any fresh-water-well-project you draw up.  Sounds like a project I need to chase down in the interest of learning and !fun!.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »

I posted it there. I wasn't even sure if that thing was checked any more by the developers.
*COUGH*

wow, you should really get that checked out by a chief medical dwarf before your giant yellow font syndrome infects the whole of bay12!!  :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2012, 03:22:48 pm »

Sorry, it's a condition I have. It tends to get brought on by baseless accusations.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:50 pm »

I think I'm coming down with a case of the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2012, 05:09:53 pm »

nevermind, you win.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:24:40 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:59 pm »

I posted it there. I wasn't even sure if that thing was checked any more by the developers.
*COUGH*

*ahem*

And what is your point? At least point it to a more significant bug.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2012, 06:00:58 pm »

I love these frequent patches.

Also have a question. How to hell do you guys deal with goblins riding things who ride away when your military attack yet never stop sieging you?

I have these 3 small goblins left riding rutheres and they never give up, only ride around interrupting jobs all the time, I feel like I will break something if they dont stop and fight soon.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2012, 06:56:13 pm »

a wheelbarrow is fine too

This would be awesome :)  Wheelbarrows and handcarts.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »

AI changes in hauling, that's something I assign with mining in general since it may include pathfinding. Maybe not, we'll see.
hauling is not mining... :/

True, but deciding where to mine or where to build next is definitely following some sort of pathing rules, so if there is a major pathing update, a whole lot of non-hauling things will change.  Then again, it might be tightly targeted changes.  We'll see.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »

Dwarves getting smarter means dwarves getting stupider. Mark my words.

heheh

If Toady makes them too smart, they will lose some of their charm.  What would we all do if we didn't have our fortresses filled with Dwarves that act like some mixture of Homer Simpson, Al Bundy, Forest Gump, Rainman, Hulk, and Conan?

Half of the fun of DF is knowing that at any given time, a single sock or butterfly corpse might cause the downfall of your entire fortress.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:57:04 pm by Farmerbob »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:23 pm »

If Toady makes them too smart, they will lose some of their charm.  What would we all do if we didn't have our fortresses filled with Dwarves that act like some mixture of Homer Simpson, Al Bundy, Forest Gump, Rainman, and Conan?

Half of the fun of DF is knowing that at any given time, a single sock or butterfly corpse might cause the downfall of your entire fortress.
You forgot Hulk.
> Catten Idemkust, kitten (tame) has bled to death
--> "URIST SMASH!"

As for "smart" dorfs and the Butterfly Corpse Of Doom, I agree 100%. Much of the fun (and ‼Fun‼) of DF comes from the hilariously bloody stupid antics of the bearded little alcoholics and random little things like that spiraling out of control.

Oh, and emergent gameplay. For example, I was totally astonished when I first saw an alligator maul an entire badger conga to death. Only in Dwarf Fortress, people! (I was even more nnonplussed, though, when the same alligator tore off my starting miner's hands and half of his face...)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:50:38 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »

If Toady makes them too smart, they will lose some of their charm.  What would we all do if we didn't have our fortresses filled with Dwarves that act like some mixture of Homer Simpson, Al Bundy, Forest Gump, Rainman, Hulk, and Conan?

You forgot Hulk.
> Catten Idemkust, kitten (tame) has bled to death
--> "URIST SMASH!"

As for "smart" dorfs and the Butterfly Corpse Of Doom, I agree 100%. Much of the fun (and ‼Fun‼) of DF comes from the hilariously bloody stupid antics of the bearded little alcoholics and random little things like that spiraling out of control.

Oh, and emergent gameplay. For example, I was totally astonished when I first saw an alligator maul an entire badger conga to death. Only in Dwarf Fortress, people! (I was even more nnonplussed, though, when the same alligator tore off my starting miner's hands and half of his face...)

Fixed

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:59 pm »

Dwarves getting smarter means dwarves getting stupider. Mark my words.

heheh

I always imagine the dorfs as homestar runners bopping around saying "dump this 'wock in the gawbage dump? YOU got it!!!"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2012, 06:28:50 am »

Smarter dwarfs... scary. "what do you mean, mine this last bit? If I do that it'll cause a cave-in and I'll probably get caught in it, and the way it is set up it'll smash down 20 levels, taking me with it! Giant corkscrew you!" or "Boss, I connected this lever to the magma dump myself. My kitten is standing there. I'm not pulling this lever or let anybody else pull it."
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11